Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Sci-fi / Fantasy Starport Scum, Clash On The Fringe, & Five Parsecs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Ivan,

I have just purchased Starport Scum, Clash On The Fringe, and Five Parsecs/Every Star.

I have some Ion Age Retained Knights, i love the figures, I can’t help it. Wars Of The Roses clashes in space really appeals to me. I knew I wanted a more narrative based RPG style but still a wargame set of rules and after purchasing Five Men In Kursk, I knew your rules would be perfect for my sci-fi project.

No doubt I will get to running mercenaries, outlaws, trader ship crew, and gangs in various sci-fi settings but right now I want to do a small Ion Age Prydian campaign on an Earth like planet with existing human colonists/settlements.

So the focus will be on military reconnaissance, setting up a base, and patrols etc, as well as re-establishing Imperial rule, tax collecting, flushing out the rebels (Yordan forces) that are similarly armed and attired and expanding the Prydian military base and then maintaining a remote fort as well as encountering the natives of various types and the challenges that presents.

So, which system do you think would be best overall for this type of campaign? Or should I set the narrative up and then give all sets a go? Or can you use one to establish the planet and narrative and then another to fight the battles? Does one excel over the other in different aspects/ways?

I will start with 10 Prydian characters (a post) and will face similar sized enemy forces but eventually, far off in the campaign future, you may have up to a reinforced company deployed at the fort (once established) with vehicle reinforcements as well for patrolling, would one system handle this better?

Thanks for any help and advice you may be able to offer in advance.

Participant

Cheers!

They are all narrative games to some extent. I might consider starting with Five parsecs in your case, then transitioning to Clash once you want to make the games bigger.

Five Parsecs is strictly an infantry campaign affair, taking on various jobs and building up your crew, whereas Clash can handle more conventional army affairs, complete with vehicles and other shenanigans.

Starport covers the same ground as Five Parsecs, but is much more RPG oriented. If you prefer storytelling a bit and free-styling character abilities, then substitute it for Five Parsecs.

I hope that helps a little. You should have no difficulty carrying over your narrative between systems in any event.

Odds are the future will hold more Five Parsecs material, but I can’t give a time-frame on that.

Participant

Hi Ivan, that helps a lot. Just needed the clarity between the 3. I’ll start with Five Parsecs and no doubt intertwine stuff from the others over time.

Participant

Cheers!

The tables in the back of Starport Scum were basically made for that kind of thing 🙂

Participant

Brilliant, thanks Ivan.

Working on the game board at the moment but shouldn’t be long before I have my fit’s game. Very much looking forward to it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.