Home Forums WWII Started a New Campaign

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

As always, I can’t stay focused and started another project. This time I’m following a US Army unit through WWII, from North Africa to Sicily, Italy, Southern France, and into Germany.

I’m following a squad of GIs using Five Men in Normandy/Five Men at Kursk, and I’m following a tank and tank destroyer platoon using What a Tanker!

Ive already played the entirety of the fighting in Tunisia, a total of 12 fights: two using 5MIN, four with What a Tanker, and six with 5MAK.  You can find them over on my Blackhawkhet blog:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/05/blood-guts-tunisia-fight-1.html?m=1

I hope you enjoy them, I certainly did, and I’m getting my stuff ready for Sicily.

V/R,

Jack

Victoria Dickson
    Participant
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Dude, you are a prodigious gamer!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

kyoteblue
    Participant

At long last a Jack AAR !!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Vicki – After all this time, that’s all you’ve got!!!???  Well, I’m glad to be back, and I certainly missed you (unlike that vagrant, Kyote)!  I hope all is well.

Darby – Eh, I’m not sure about that, 12 little games in five or six months ain’t so great, but I’m working on it.

John – You old hillbilly, I hope you’re doing alright.  And not “a Just Jack AAR,” but twelve AARs, so get to work!

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Jack how do I get to the next ARR???

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Vicki – After all this time, that’s all you’ve got!!!??? Well, I’m glad to be back, and I certainly missed you (unlike that vagrant, Kyote)!

I had more, but it was too many reports in one go for the usual flood of comments.  I see several things to comment on in the first eleven reports and I’ve forgotten what they were by the time I finish report twelve. 

The tank rules looked fun, but the number of hits with no effects seemed a bit weird, sort of more like Pz III’s firing at a KV1 than a Sherman vs a Pz IV duel.  I guess ‘you’re hit, you’re dead’ would have made for a really short game, but it felt a bit strange.

I loved the dialogue you gave various characters, @%&$ing excellent… 

The variety of the scenarios was excellent, as was switching between infantry and tank battles.

Should we take bets on whether you make it all the way to Germany?  I suspect you will this time, I certainly hope so. 

What’s the difference between 5 Men at Kursk and 5 Men at Normandy that made you switch rules?

Oh, and finally, I want to see you do a Kelly’s Heroes campaign.  Can you shoehorn it into this when they move into France?  Please?  Pretty please? 

(There you go, that’s what you get for complaining about a lack of comments from me.  )

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wait Victoria!! I need Jack to get back to my Marines in the Pacific!!!

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

What about the Israelis?  While we’re guilt tripping him about unfinished projects. 

Seriously though, it must be really dispiriting playing games you don’t feel like doing at the moment when you’d much rather be spending your hobby time on something that has your full enthusiasm.  He’ll get round to them when he’s good and ready.  Plus I don’t want to open that can of worms given the unfinished projects I have piling up… 

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Jack how do I get to the next ARR???

Small blue arrow at the bottom left of the page when you scroll down.  Though you probably found it by now. 🙂

kyoteblue
    Participant

Ah!!! Thanks, Victoria!!!

Thuseld
    Participant

I am still waiting for the conclusion of the Barbarossa story. Just to add to the guilt.

kyoteblue
    Participant

But Marines!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Vicki,

“The tank rules looked fun, but the number of hits with no effects seemed a bit weird, sort of more like Pz III’s firing at a KV1 than a Sherman vs a Pz IV duel.  I guess ‘you’re hit, you’re dead’ would have made for a really short game, but it felt a bit strange.”
    Yeah, I believe it’s done that way purely for the game.  I think what I’m going to do is show most of those as misses, rather than non-penetrating hits, in the battle reports.

“I loved the dialogue you gave various characters, @%&$ing excellent… ”
    I do what I can, have a little fun, (hopefully) without being grotesque.

“The variety of the scenarios was excellent, as was switching between infantry and tank battles.”
    Yeah, that will be the norm for this project.  For Sicily I’ll actually even be adding in a tank destroyer platoon (M10 Wolverines), so an even larger number of tank battles.

“Should we take bets on whether you make it all the way to Germany?  I suspect you will this time, I certainly hope so.”
    I’m doing my best, and with the small size and quick nature of these fights, it certainly makes it more likely.

“What’s the difference between 5 Men at Kursk and 5 Men at Normandy that made you switch rules?”
    5MIN is probably more realistic, but much slower, whereas 5MAK is just blazing, furious action.  There’s more to it than this, but the heart of it is the activation system: in 5MIn you will typically activate one out of every three guys each turn, and a couple/few more will get to react during the enemy’s turn.  In 5MAk, every guy will act every turn AND can react during the enemy’s turn.  When you’re playing on tables that are like 75 yards by 50 yards, that’s death ground, kill or be killed, and so I want my action fast and furious.

“Oh, and finally, I want to see you do a Kelly’s Heroes campaign.  Can you shoehorn it into this when they move into France?  Please?  Pretty please?”
    Well, not a campaign, per se, but I could definitely see a jaunt off for a few scenarios based on the movie, sounds like a blast!

“What about the Israelis?”
    Yeah, I was just thinking about what to do with them.  I don’t want to keep doing the cannon fodder stuff I was doing for War of Liberation; I actually got depressed (in wargaming terms, not real life) after so many casualties in the last couple fights.  I want them to become more proficient at their craft, keep some of the guys around for a bit. And I got depressed thinking long term: my goal is to play 1948 War of Liberation, 1956 Suez Canal, 1967 Six-Day War, 1973 Yom Kippur War, 1982 Lebanon War, but then it hit me that it doesn’t really work well.  Guys that are 25 in the War of Liberation are 32 for the Suez Crisis and 41 for the Six Day War, no spring chicken!  So I’ve got to sit down and figure some things out, and the last piece of it is how to keep it fresh.  I need more info to build scenarios, I don’t have a good spread.  But it’s not gone, I’ll definitely be heading back.

“(There you go, that’s what you get for complaining about a lack of comments from me.   )”
    You know I love talking wargaming, I appreciate you taking the time to read them and comment.

Thuseld – You’re killing me!!! 😉  Mostly because I’m trying to remember what you’re talking about, Barbarossa.  Of course, what immediately springs to mind is Kampfgruppe Klink, but they’re in France, 1940.  I will definitely be getting back to them soon.  You must be talking about that couple games I did in 6mm with the Two Hour Wargames rules?  I don’t think I’ll be heading back to that, and if I did, I’d probably use What a Tanker, but I don’t see how I’ve got time anywhere in the near future.  Sorry man…

Kyote – But I do have good (great?) news for you: today I played a platoon-level infantry fight using my Marines, a fictional dust-up in Palembang, Sumatra.  I bought the “Combat Patrol” rules and I’m trying them out.  I’m liking them so far, and plan on playing a few more in Dutch East Indies, before moving on to Guadalcanal.  The hang up there is that I’ve got to play some more dogfighting games, and some more naval combat games, before I can get there…

V/R,
    Jack

Thuseld
    Participant

It was the brothers in Panzer IIIs going into Russia. Those games were part of what convinced me to try WW2 in 6mm. I get it if you don’t finish projects though.  I have started numerous campaigns for them to stall when I lose interest.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Huzzah!!! I’m off to play a WW2 naval game based on Cape Esperance/ Guadalcanal today.  I also bought Blood Red Sky’s WW2 air combat game but waiting on Wildcats to do the Cactus Air Force.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thuseld – Ahh, yep, I figured that’s the one.  Like I said, I don’t see myself getting back to that one as it is, but I’ll definitely be playing more 6mm WWII.  Definitely more 6mm What a Tanker, and I keep playing around with modifying 5 Men at Kursk a little to play tank vs tank fights.  No real mods, I suppose, just playing tanks rather than troops.

Kyote – Sounds cool, and yeah, I saw that Blood Red Skies thing; P-51s vs Zeros???  Not a matchup that typically comes to mind.  In any case, I played two platoon-level fights with the Marines, working on the batreps, not sure I can post them because I’ve got to get them in order, and I think I need to play another Army Air Force dogfight before I can post these.  The problem with having a ‘blended’ campaign of infantry, ship, and air fights…

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.