Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Starting a range 15mm sci-fi models FB is welcome!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Sean Bullough
    Participant

<div class=”leftcell”>

I’ve been doing a lot of 15mm models lately and had some ideas for my own range of models and was wondering if I could get some feedback on one of the aliens.

I plan on doing a Kickstarter (hopefully in November) under the company name Wolfshead Miniatures.

Pics of the first model are here (if you click on the pic it will bring you to the full album):

http://imgur.com/VwWFI4m,jZ4j1fr,DboKsUV,BTtpX0v

There will be 4-5 sculpts with a commander model. I have some ideas for a 4-legged mech as well.

The model pictured is a rank&file trooper (not quite finished yet). Only one head is pictured, there will be 2-3 options The commander will have different arms, weapons and head as well.

The model itself is about 23mm tall. I wanted it to tower over a human-sized model (causes fear in their enemies)!

Most of the factions weapons will be slung under the forearm.

So far I don’t have any ideas for a heavy weapon trooper or any type of APC/tank.

The second faction will be all mechanical/robotic. I haven’t started them yet but I’ve a few ideas.

For the 3rd faction I was thinking of a “bio-mechanical” aline race (like Tyranids or xenomorphs) or a cybernetic race (similar to the Strogg from Quake or similar to the aliens from the movie Virus.

Any suggestions you guys might have would be welcome!

</div>

Angel Barracks

First of all that is very cool.
    Secondly, if you do them in 6mm let me know.

As for a heavy weapon?
    They look like they have advanced tech so how about shoulder/back mounted rocket pods with underarm laser target painters.
    Point, HUD blink to lock on and whammo…!

Interesting first faction figure. As a fan of shipboard battles, an alien race that towers above the average human would suggest some interesting scenarios – hit and run attacks from service ducts, aliens jumping over obstacles that block humans, etc. Perhaps your mechanical/robotic faction could be the opposite – smaller, lightweight, but swarm in hordes (preferably not a “dwarf” shape).

Andrew

Sean Bullough
    Participant

I have an idea for a mech faction that separates into smaller mechs when damage is taken.

I’m not sure how I can translate this into a 15mm scale but when I worked for GW I had done a test sculpt of a Chaos Spawn that was similar. When it took damage you removed a part of it so the figure would change as damage is taken.

I have tons of ideas, I just need time to realize them!

MrHarold
    Participant

Great looking figure πŸ™‚

ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi
    http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

Sean Bullough
    Participant

Perhaps your mechanical/robotic faction could be the opposite – smaller, lightweight, but swarm in hordes (preferably not a β€œdwarf” shape). Andrew

I’m basing the look and feel of the mech/robotic faction off the Maschinen Krieger look.

They’ll have that bulbous, organic, asymmetrical look to them.

Cosmotiger
    Participant

That’s a very creative design for a four legged alien.Β  I’ve seen some minis that are basically sci-fi centaurs, but you’ve gotten away from that template.

Sean Bullough
    Participant

The first armature I made was more “centaur-like” but I wanted to avoid “fantasy in space”.

Eli Arndt
    Participant

I like what I am seeing so far.

The design is suitably alien but has enough familiar notes to make it accessible. I appreciate that you didn’t go full centaur and also how hard it is to avoid that. The mind likes to go to familiar shapes and we’ve all had centaurs drilled into your brains since childhood.

As much as I hate the movies, I think a machine race that actually had character and personality in the machines like the Transformers might be cool (not actually transformers).
    Pretty much every machine race that gets made is a cold, faceless or evil looking death machine. We could use something with a bit more personality.

For your third faction, a bio race is a good seller, but has been done to death. A cyber race is a bit more unique and not well represented.

-Eli

-Eli

Angel Barracks

As much as I hate the movies, I think a machine race that actually had character and personality in the machines like the Transformers might be cool (not actually transformers).

Like the flesh Cylons with the Metal Cylon bodies?

Sean Bullough
    Participant

I have a sculpt for the mech faction, a basic trooper, almost finished and will post pics of it later today. It’s inspired by a Makoto Kobayashi mech, the Bound-Doc, and a mech from Linebarrels of Iron, the Rail Splitter.

For the 3rd faction I think I’ll go with the “Mimic-like” aliens from Edge of Tomorrow. I’m messing around with a test sculpt of a large alien and I think it looks good.

It resembles the Mimics form the movie, it looks like it’s made from bundles of “cables” etc. I haven’t done the head yet. Not sure what their “weapons” are either. Maybe they create them out of their own bodies?

Eli Arndt
    Participant

Creating weapons out of their bodies would be cool. You could say that they can configure the components elements of their body to manipulate an energy source in their body in different ways,

-Eli

Sean Bullough
    Participant

Here’s a small update for the third set of aliens that will be in my Kickstarter. I hope to get it started sometime next week, I want to have enough WIP models to show backers what they’ll get.

Not sure what I’ll call them yet, but here’s some pics:

There will be two sizes with modular arms. The tentacles will form into different weapons like close combat or ranged.

I think the heads will be something like this pic:

Not sure of the squad size yet, maybe 1 large and 5 small per squad.

I’m still working on the “mech” faction and will post pics of them tomorrow.

Let me know what you think, feedback is always welcome.

Sean Bullough
    Participant

Here’s a quick WIP of the mech hover-trooper. For the mech faction there will also be a “walking” trooper, a Leader and a “walking” heavy trooper with heavy weapons

View post on imgur.com

Looking great. Must be the colour and the time of year, but couldn’t help thinking the bottom part looks like a carved pumpkin! πŸ™‚

But on a more serious note, I do like your idea of a mech faction of mixed movement types. Will provide more individuality to the range than just the more common all of one type.

Andrew

Angel Barracks

Agreed.
    Still want to buy the 6mm versions off you!

πŸ˜€

Sean Bullough
    Participant

I’ll have to take a look at doing 6mm versions later on. We’ll see how the KS goes first.

Sean Bullough
    Participant

Here’s a pic of the second model for the mech faction. This one will also have separate arms and also some heavy weapon options.

The mech faction will have a third model for the commander.

Sean Bullough
    Participant

So I came up with manes for the Alien and Not-Mimics. The Alien race will be called Kassians, named after the Kassites that took over Babylon when it fell. The worshiped horses and had some nasty cavalry for their time.

The not-mimics will be called Proteans. A simple enough name that I think fits their function.
    I haven’t thought of a name for the mechanical race yet.

Angel Barracks

The Mechs are bad ass.
    Seriously, sculpt me some 6mm stuff, any stuff!

Sean Bullough
    Participant

Here are some pics of the finished hover and walker mechs.

I’ll get pics of the finished Kassians and Proteans later this week.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I like the SF3D vibe you have going here.

Sean Bullough
    Participant

I’m not sure why the pics are so small, but if you click on the gear in the upper right corner it allows you to see larger images.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.