Home Forums General General Starting Again, I'm Asking for a Friend

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Say you were starting again and had the three following options for games on a 2×2 table, currently owning few miniatures and no terrain. Would you do-

A- 15mm sc-fi skirmishes using a jungle or desert theme.

B- 28mm Weird West, with Gothic and Lovecraftian themes in a ghost town setting.

C- 28mm Weird Pirates with hints of horror in a jungle setting.

Baffled minds need an answer.

Participant

Of those 3 options I would choose A starting with a desert theme. Seems like it would be the quickest way to get to the games. Of course, the correct answer should really be whatever your friend finds most appealing.

Now, if I weren’t limited to the 3 options I would suggest 2-3mm in whatever era is preferred. Or maybe 6mm if 2-3mm seems to small.

Participant

This is no help at all, but none of those.

I’d be going HotT or (if pressed) DBA.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

15mm desert, cheaper than 28mm and desert as noted is popular for sci-fi, modern and fantasy.

😉

Participant

Agree with the above. Also, 2’x2′ might be a touch small for 28mm, though as I regularly play 54mm on a 3.5’x6′ dining room table, feel free to disregard!

Participant

Yeah, desert; 10mm.  Get ancients to modern and everything in between and outside.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Participant

Yeah, I’d go with A.  There are some fantastic 15mm out there these days, at 0.5 to 1 USD per figure. If you lose interest in sci-fi, Bluemoon and Khurasan miniatures have excellent 15mm for your wierd west and pirates ideas. You could do all three for the price of one 28mm project.

15mm on a 2×2 game board is about as large as I would go.  10mm or 6mm if you want a large scale battle.  ‘A’ is most appealing to me.  I personally am not a fan of Lovecraft or Weird War anything.  If he goes with ‘B’ or ‘C’ still look for suitable smaller scale figures or up the board size to at least 3×3.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

I think option A is the best, both if he already has miniatures and if he’s looking to get some. It’s cheaper, wider range and easier to find terrain for if he one day decide to expand on. The other two options are kind of the deep end of the pool in terms for terrain in my opinion.

Participant

On the assumption your “friend” already has the miniatures and a few bits of terrain, I would go A.  I play with 20mm on a 2’x2′ and that is a stretch – 15mm or smaller looks fine on 2’x2′ and most 15mm rules will work on 2’x2′.  Personally I think that 28mm would just be too large and have never played with 28mm on anything less than 3’x’3  Of course, with only 2-3 28mm minis on a 2’x2′ table then it may look OK.

I do like the sound of B – to me that is the most interesting but A is definitely the most playable and visually appealing.

Participant

With Bluemoon and Rebel Miniatures you could do all 3 in 15/18 mm.

Participant

Adobes are pretty easy to convert from fantasy(Crom’s Anvil), mos Eisley(Star Wars) or add some tiled roofs for pirates.  A little bit of aquarium plants and you can make a nice deserted island.

I would personally stay away from 28mm.  15mm is easy to paint and a lot cheaper for terrain and minis if you are starting over.  pirates sound fun and rebel minis has some nice ones in 15mm.

There is a board game, called Shadows over Brimstone that has the 28mm miniatures in the Weird West.

what kind of sci fi desert were you thinking?

Desert sci fi allows you to do Dune, Star Wars, Mad max, Pitch Black, Soldier, Star Trek or a lot of other games too.

Participant

Of the three options, like the others here, I would choose A. 15mm sci fi in the desert would be just so quick to get to the table that your friend ought to be able to put something together super-quick and thus be encouraged to keep going. There are some good rules designed for 28mm on a 2’x2′ board (.45 Adventures, Gloire, etc) but the space you have will be more flexible in 15mm, and Options B and C require much more work before you can get them to the table.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://roderickdale.co.uk/
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Participant

Definitely option A, although scaling down to 10mm might be better if you want armour, mecha etc. For desert terrain I’d make some hills, gullies, rocky outcrops etc to break up the lines of sight, especially for 15mm where you’d more likely be skirmishy. Some scatter terrain would be handy for the same reason e.g scrub, small stones etc. It’s a bit like the Sandbox Skirmish project I’m working on, which uses a 3 x 3 board.

Participant

You could do a low model count, skirmish game on 2×2 with 28mm.  I think 15mm would be better for that size, though.

Participant

I think that 10-15mm will play best on a 2×2 table, but as mentioned above I would personally go for 3mm-6mm at that size.  I have had a few enjoyable gamez of “Gruntz” at 6mm zcale, uzing the multi-bazing rulez.  The game denzity is about right for a handful of tankz and maybe three zquadz per zide on a 2×2 board.

Okay, I’ll knock it off with my “z” peeve, but nevertheless it’s a very solid game for “light” battles where extreme realism and tight points buys aren’t critical, so it would work fairly well.  At 15mm scale, though, you might want slightly more space unless you kept the gameplay very limited in size.

Keymaster

Thankz

Participant

My pleazure. 😀

Participant

Im not a big fan of Wierd anything, so of the options given, 15mm on a 2×2. You can do perfectly reasonable historical or fantasy DBA games with a low figure count, also things like The Portable Wargame with a 3″ grid would work fine on a 2×2, as would One Hour Wargames. With only six units a side you really don’t need loads of figures..

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.