Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Strike Legion Tactical

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

In keeping with my long history of never letting well enough alone, I’ve felt an urge to try out yet another rule system I’ve had but never played: Strike Legion Tactical. The rules seem to be very ambitious in covering as much territory as they possibly can manage, although at the core they’re pretty straightforward. So with a little dive into MAATAC miniatures soon to start, and a few sets of unpainted 3mm armies from Microworld and O8 on hand, I’m feeling like trying this one out at last. I’ve proven to myself that I can set up some convincing terrain, and so it’s time for a throw at this.

Step one: rules markers. The ones in the book have a lot of gradients that are hard to read, but because electronic warfare is part of the game you need to set out some counters to show your units’ offensive/defensive stances. So a little graphic arts tinkering later, I have the counters ready.

Yet again, not being able to let well enough alone, I made a second set on a die cutting template (double sided) and sent them off to the press I used for my Epic cards. That will be a nicer and more durable product than the above but both are workable for the time being. So off we go!

Would love to hear if anyone else has had experience with the game and what you thought. It seems to have a lot of tooth to it, lots of tech but several levels of command and maneuvering, and room to do a lot of different styles of game. I found the expansion that introduces superheavy tanks particularly interesting, since I’m always looking for games that span that gap without just making BOLO-like vehicles feel like Very Big Tanks, but rather like something unto themselves.

Erik Walton
    Participant

This is one of those games that I have looked at numerous times with keen interest but have never dived in myself. I’m looking forward to seeing how you fair with it!

Oh that's my theme music, it's on now!

Mike
    Keymaster

Nice to see you back @Erik

Erik Walton
    Participant

Thanks Mike! My spam filter keeps misbehaving and putting my notifications in the spam bin and so I don’t always catch when something that sparks my interest gets posted.

Clearly the filter thinks that you are up to no good here. 😛

madman
    Participant

I also have this and am waiting for you to let us know how it plays.

I was very put off when right away the rules state you have to be within 1″ (don’t remember the game scale it is a good distance but not long (I think much less than a kilometer). Thinking back to the second Alien movie (Aliens), and Striker, your commanding troops didn’t have to be close to the action if the grunts were equipped with sensors or video that they could access. So this whole “gotta be right close” felt wrong and frankly I couldn’t get past it to check out the rest of the rules.

One other thing, and I don’t remember if it was these rules or another set, another game I read had an overly simplistic game effect of electronic warfare. Basically each side decided on how many “points” of EW and whether it was attack or defend, or I guess a mix. The net result was a + or – applied to all combat rolls that game turn. Too simplistic for my tastes although possibly a good representation for a very streamlined game effect. Anyone remember where this came from?

Mr. Average
    Participant

I also have this and am waiting for you to let us know how it plays. I was very put off when right away the rules state you have to be within 1″ (don’t remember the game scale it is a good distance but not long (I think much less than a kilometer). Thinking back to the second Alien movie (Aliens), and Striker, your commanding troops didn’t have to be close to the action if the grunts were equipped with sensors or video that they could access. So this whole “gotta be right close” felt wrong and frankly I couldn’t get past it to check out the rest of the rules. One other thing, and I don’t remember if it was these rules or another set, another game I read had an overly simplistic game effect of electronic warfare. Basically each side decided on how many “points” of EW and whether it was attack or defend, or I guess a mix. The net result was a + or – applied to all combat rolls that game turn. Too simplistic for my tastes although possibly a good representation for a very streamlined game effect. Anyone remember where this came from?

I don’t remember the command thing but you are thinking of SLT with the offensive/defensive EW. It’s pretty simple at its base but it does have other rules that make it more complex. Scouts for example let you lend additional bonuses to units they’re attached to, using “Scout EW” and there’s a lot on C3 and other recon tech that I haven’t gotten to yet. Like you I think it’s kind of a misnomer to call that “electronic warfare” but there also seems to be rather a robust system for using computer viruses, scrambling, etc. as “special weapons” that might be more like what you have in mind.

madman
    Participant

I used to play modern air combat at a very high level back in the day. So in order to be able to make sound judgement in game play and help with including new aircraft, I did a lot of research including some on electronic warfare. There are many different ways electronic warfare can be used and I like the idea, maybe not getting that picky, of including many of them as specific actions and reactions in game terms. We used to do so in the air games but the effects were shown in game terms. Still the differences between range gate pull off vs barrage jamming is real and not too hard to implement. If you care about the differences between armour types (not just thicknesses) then the different effects different applications of electronic warfare approaches can, and do, hold my interest and would like to have them in my games.

Mr. Average
    Participant

The counters just came off the press! The front to back registration is a little skewed but still ample. And the colors came out way better than I expected!

Erik Walton
    Participant

The counters just came off the press! The front to back registration is a little skewed but still ample. And the colors came out way better than I expected!

Wow those look good! Great work.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice!

I have this game as well as it’s associated larger battle/invasion rules but have never played them.  Keen to hear how it goes!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

6mmwargaming
    Participant

I have this game as well as it’s associated larger battle/invasion rules but have never played them. Keen to hear how it goes!

Me too!

Mr. Average
    Participant

By the way, if anyone wants their own counter sets, I posted the files (with the author’s kind permission) on the Strike Legion Facebook group, with instructions on how and where to get them made.

Mr. Average
    Participant

So I much prefer paper to plastic, and although I have an iPad and all that, I ordered a print copy of the Strike Legion rulebook. It’s surprisingly good quality for print on demand, well cut and not warped. A very good edition to have.

Glued, not sewn, and with no calico binding sheet, but one can’t expect too much of POD.

Tony S
    Participant

Even though I now greatly prefer ebooks on my Kobo, I still like hard copy for rules too.

Have you tried playing Strike Legion yet?  Curious to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and forgive me, but what’s a calico binding sheet?  Never heard of that.

Mr. Average
    Participant

When you sew together sheaves of paper to make a book, you then stack those, bind them together, and glue a piece of fabric down the spine to hold it all together. That’s the “calico” that you see at the ends of the spine. It keeps the bundles of pages from falling out. You can see it in higher quality bindings.

I played a very simple intro game over the weekend just to learn the rules and it’s pretty straightforward. You set your EW ratings, then off you go. The weapons all have different effects, which is pretty cool. The basic structure of the game is easy to follow – the wealth of special rules you can add is what adds complexity, and having a paper copy to flip through definitely makes the process easier. For me anyway.

Tony S
    Participant

Ah!  I’ve seen that binding thousands of times; never knew what it was called.   Thanks!

Maybe I should take another look at those rules.  I swear I bought them years ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.