Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Stripping and Speed Painting

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoPaul.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve decided I don’t like the paint scheme I’ve been doing on my Renegade Legion models (old 6mm armour, mix of plastic and metal). I want to strip and start again – plus my 5 year old daughter decided to paint some of them, which was interesting!

Has anyone got any advice on stripping the paint? I’ve never done it before, and my research online so far brings up a lot of confusing advice about brake fluid which I’m not keen to have in the house.

I’m in the UK, and a lot of others talk about Dettol or Fairy Power Spray?

Following that, any advice about speed painting a lot of tanks? I was going for a quick undercoat, wash and highlight, maybe pick out a couple of details – I’m keen to get stuff onto the table but don’t want it to look really crap. I’m not the best painter either, so a simple system for overall effect is probably best for me. I’m not looking to win any prizes, just get some armies to the point where I’m not embarrassed by them.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Dan

Participant

SimpleGreen is the best product I’ve used for paint stripping, and it’s nontoxic. Not sure if it’s universally available though, so your country, if not the USA, may have a local brand equivalent.

As for speed painting, spraying a base coat in a basic flat color is the best start. Then wash for shadows, dry brush for highlights, and add details. It really depends how far you, personally want to go with it.

I use plain old denatured alcohol for stripping painted miniatures, both metal and plastic. That’s partly out of my frustation with all the usual tips of regional products like Simple Green and Dettol – I can’t be bothered with figuring out what the local Swedish equivalents of these products are, if they even exist.

I’ve tried “proper” paint stripper, and will not go near the stuff again. While it’s well known to be death to plastics, no one had warned me it can even ruin metal miniatures if you leave them in too long. Imagine my dismayed surprise when I found I was able to scrape the face off one of my metal 28mm figures with a fingernail!

Participant

In 6mm, paint block colours, brush or wash, do the base, done.

On a gaming table, they’ll look fine and the fine detail will disappear anyways ๐Ÿ˜‰

Participant

I have just stripped 80 white metal WH40K minis that I picked up 2nd hand. I used acetone: soaked them in acetone for an hour and then took them out one at a time and brushed with a toothbrush (which I kept on dipping in acetone). Dropped each fig in water as I finished. Some figs had to have a second bath and brush for the nooks and crannies. Afterwards, washed them in dishwash liquid and water, rinsed and left to dry. I’ve painted the first 20 and they came out great, no loss of detail on the sculpts. If you are going to use acetone, remember a face mask, eye protection, leather gloves and long nose pliers to take them out of their bath. Also, work outside and keep the acetone covered because it evaporates. Also, don’t use this for plastic. Just be careful with acetone. Speed painting: can’t help, I am very slow.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

Oh, and don’t use a plastic bowl for the acetone.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.