Home Forums General General Stripping Figures

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

Stripping 6mm figures with nail varnish remover… how long can you leave them in the solution?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

As long as you like. New improved nail varnish remover contains little, if any, acetone according to Mrs NCS. Elven safety and the emviment innit?

What type of paint are you trying to strip. acrylic or enamel?

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

No idea. Some thick nasty black undercoat.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Might be Halfrauds aerosol stuff. I use that 🙂

Try Nitromors. Read the instructions, wear appropriate PPE>

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Keymaster

I figured it is likely that, just clogged up all the details.
    Not got any of that stuff, will carry on with the nail varnish and keep my eye open..

\0/

Northern Monkey
    Participant

Mike, try regular household Dettol(the brown stuff) it will remove all the paint and soften old glue too, just leave the minis over night in some pure Dettol, and then scrub lightly(do not use warm water when scrubbing, as you will end up with sticky blobs of paint everywhere) I have done this on 30+ year old models painted numerous times with enamels and they have all come up as shiny as new:

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

I use dettol as I don’t mind the smell.

jagannath
    Participant

I recently found something even better than dettol – this stuff http://www.wilko.com/white-spirit+brush-cleaners/bartoline-clean-spirit-750ml/invt/0315920

Ignore the one star reviews on the site – it’s incredible. Paint, polyurethen varnish, spray primer and gesso all just flake off. It’s totally changed my attitude to shopping for second hand minis, it’s so effective.

Deleted User

If you want to use what the Big Boys* use, see this:

(cleans air brushes, too).

donald

• clearly not including me
    Matthew Hipkin
    Participant

Isopropyl alcohol should cure what ails ya.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I’m taking copious notes from this thread

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Mike
    Keymaster

nail varnish remover = cruddy

Dettol = magic

Paul
    Participant

Just use the Dettol outside otherwise your significant other will complain “This place smells like a f—ing hospital.”

I speak from experience.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Mike
    Keymaster

Just use the Dettol outside otherwise your significant other will complain “This place smells like a f—ing hospital.” I speak from experience.

Word for word except the F word.

😀

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Be careful if you have moggies – they can’t process the chemicals (Phenols) in disinfectants like Dettol. It can kill ’em. (This is NOT a hint on how to deal with a moggy infestation). They need quite a bit for it to be fatal, but drinking water with it in, even inhaling it can be harfmul to them, and leaving open containers of the stuff with figures in isn’t going to be good for them.

Paul
    Participant

Wow Guy, thanks for the tip. Luckily when I have done this previously I closed the container and put it in a locked shed.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Moggy?

Just last week I used my lady’s sonic jewelry cleaner and some white spirit, took a couple of hours but did the trick!  …then I had to clean it all up…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Keymaster

Moggy = cat

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.