Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Stroezie's painting log.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So despite being stoked to start playing Rangers of Shadow Deep and plans to do a D&D campaign using 15mm figures (I have about a 150 new  figs on the way and a bunch more in the lead pile) I found myself struggeling to pick up my brush and start paining again.

I finally realised I just don’t feel like painting a bunch of the same figures at a time, took me ages to get the spiders done, and so for the moment I’ve decided to just paint whatever figure most strikes my fancy instead of trying to do all the same of one type at once.

In a further effort to keep myself motivated I’m also starting this painting log.

Here are the first figures

A mind flayer, eagle, dwarf, minotaur and two elves. All from Ral Partha’s Demonworld line save the eagle which came from my bits box.

The mind flayer’s head and the minotaur’s tail are greenstuff.

My home made spiders and stirge prototype next to another Demonworld knight for size reference

A close up of the stirge , I’ll be looking to make about 10 of them.

Well that’s it for now,

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

I finally realised I just don’t feel like painting a bunch of the same figures at a time,

With you on that one!

The stirges are very cool

Great stuff! There seems to be an upsurge of 15mm D&D-esque lately in the hobby scene. I’m all for it.

Participant

I have a lot of 15mm fantasy, but am thinking of doing Shadow Deep in 28mm, just to use all the spiffy plastics that are out there. Then I think, “Gee, I I buy an Oathmark Elf box and a Gripping Beast Goth Cavalry box, I’d have the makings of a great Elf Army!”

Ignoring the fact that I already have a shitload of 15mm elves. Enough to make THREE armies.

Oy vey.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

I know what you mean about no motivation to paint, the to-do list can be too daunting.

I’ve got about 1000 unpainted Napoleonic figures to paint. They’ve been waiting 4 years. No desire to paint them, or any inclination. Tried two small units recently, finished one quickly (meh!), the other is half finished on my desk.

Yet, during those 4 years I’ve knocked out a few thousand ECW figures. Waiting to be done 200 foot, 50 horse. They will be done fairly quickly. Maybe I just like ECW more than Napoleonics? Or maybe it’s because of how they were bought. Napoleonic armies were bought whole army at a time – partly because I heard that the range was about to become unavailable and more modern ranges wouldn’t match size wise. ECW has been bought a few units at a time. ECW manageable, Napoleonic daunting?

Plus the way I paint has changed, I set myself challenges. Buy units at Vapnartak ( February) and they have to be completed before Salute (April) so I can purchase new units, for example. Seems to work.

It also helps having started a blog, going public has helped inspire me to keep to my deadlines. Maybe starting a painting log will do the same for you? Just don’t set yourself too ambitious a target.

My ECW painting pile is 10 units worth – goal is to paint them before the offspring break up for summer holidays. That’s about a unit a week. I’ve almost finished two already. But if I set the goal of two a week I’d almost certainly fail.

Participant

Well, I managed to paint 2 frost giants from Splintered Light Miniatures.(still looking for a good nymph figure for Conan to chase though)

Shown here with some of my previously painted Demonworld elves for size reference.

And also some barbarian scouts who ran into a pict shaman raising some corpse worms.

The barbarians are also Demonworld, the big worm is Ral Partha, the larva are from Alternative Armies and the shaman from Crom’s Anvil of course.

That’s it for now, as for next time , we’ll have to wait and see where the brush takes me…😎

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

still looking for a good nymph figure for Conan to chase though

Nymph creature or attractive human female?
    The later I can help with shortly…

Very cool!!

Participant

I recieved a package from Alternative Armies with a number of the monsters I’ll need for Rangers of Shadowdeep.

This being one of those rare weekends where I actually had a decent amount of free time I decided to start painting them immediately.

So here’s what I managed to paint over the weekend.

First up some man eating plants called Klorzids from the Grinning Skull line.

They are a bit on the whimsical side with quit a heavy “little shop of horrors” vibe but seeing as I’m looking to play RoSD with my 10 year old daughter I think that’s actually a good thing.

The next is Alternative Armies own sand worm which I decided to paint purple in honor of the classic D&D creature.

and lastly an other classic dungeon crawl staple, a horde of giant rats

I’ve also made a list of the terrain pieces I still need to make so hopefully I’ll be able to share some of that with you in the near future.

That being said…   there was more in that package from Alternative Armies….   but I ain’t tellin’ yet, you’ll have to wait and see..😜

Cheers,

Stroezie.

First thought was “The Princess’ Bride” giant rats.

Participant

I just painted those squeakers myself!  I am going to use them for my dungeoncrawl.  Great painting.

Participant

Fantastic models, they’re all so rich in colour I’m jealous.

I’d love to hear about your exploits in the RoSD world.

Participant

You ‘tis a good Painter Strozie. I can only echo what has already been said. The colours! I never, in my wildest dreams would have painted a worm purple and green! I need to be more bold in my approach to colour.

Participant

Now that the summer holidays are nearing the end I’ve finally got some hobby time again.

So how did I spend these precious moments? 😎

Well, I painted some Crom’s Anvil tribal warriors to serve as leaders for my Copplestone Picts.

I will be using these in stead of the Gnolls some of the missions call for.

I also wanted some treasure/clue markers like the Frostgrave ones  from Northstar.

I couldn’t really find anything that hit the mark in 15mm so I decided to sculpt some myself.

And, as I seemed to be on a roll, I decided to tackle the spider cocoons for the second part of the first mission too.

Next I think I’m going to try my hand at sculpting some casualty markers and I have based and basecoated the zombies and survivors so they are ready for painting to.

Things are finally moving again, hopefully I’ll have more things so share with you soon.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Yay, welcome back.
    Spider cocoons??!

Participant

My thoughts exactly!  Any spider that big needs to be nuked from orbit!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Like I said I seem to be on a roll.

Lets hope I keep on rolling.😎

Here are the survivors.

They are from Ral Partha, lovely models, so full of character.

I can see so many uses for them, survivors, angry villagers/lynch mob, down on their luck bandits…

“Don’t you think all zombies kind of all look alike ?”

I was never a fan of the whole zombie trope and would have preferred to have swapped them out for maybe some kind of humanoid spider hybrid (in ROSD the giant spiders bite turns people into zombies) but well … meh…

So I speed painted these, not the best paintjob ever, but for tabletop they’ll do.

And of course all that rotting flesh starts attracting flies doesn’t it!

Some cheap chinese plastic flies which I simply based and then could not resist touching up the badly painted eyes.

That’s it for now.

Sculpting the five casualty markers is probably going to take me a bit longer, though I may cop out and just chop up some extra minis I have lying around and use those to make them instead.

Cheers,

Stroezie

I like your painting and looks like you have a huge range there.
    That blue bottle and so many things got my attention.

Participant

Its been a bit of a miscellaneous bunch of figures this week.

Two skellie archers to get them up to strength, a restless spirit, a champion of evil, a yuan-ti archer and I found the last of my survivors and gave him a quick paintjob to.

I also made some terrain: the pillars in the background.

The skellies, knight and survivor are from Ral Partha and the spirit and snake woman are from Alternative Armies.

A couple of scenarios have a vulture as a kind of eye in the sky spy for the evil overlord.

I thought I’d try something a little different and sculpted this guy instead.

It’s a D&D monster thats basically a giant eyeball with wings,big claws and a rat tail with a stinger that cries piosonous tears called an eyewing,

Here he is “nekkid”

And with a little paint on him..

I’ve started experimenting on sculpting some crates and treasure chests and  have a group of demonworld goblins primed and ready for paint.

Also the tile these photo’s were taken on is part of an old dungeon tile project which I’m looking to revive soon so, if you like what you see, stay tune for more.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Wicked skills, espesh like the snake woman.
    Are the pillars cotton reels?

Participant

Yeah, those snake women are really nice little sculpts, I have a bunch more of them but it’ll probably be a while before I get around to painting the rest, but I had to try at least one of them already

As for the pillars, yep you got me, I needed some pillars and I needed them fast and these were the easiest and cheapest way to do it. All in all I’m pretty pleased with them, althoug I do think I’ll be making some more elaborate ones later on.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

I like the wing claws. That eye goo is icky.

Participant

I like the wing claws. That eye goo is icky.

Thanks, I’m happy I decided to add the eye goo, I wasn’t sure if it would quite work out but in the end it gave it a lot more character imo.

So, what have I been up to in the mean time…

I wanted to start expanding my dungeon scatter terrain so I decided to try my hand at crafting/ sculpting some crates and chests.

The big crates are just wooden blocks which I scored with a pin and then painted.

The smaller crate was a bit of an experiment, I tried to sculpt the sides seperately and then assemble them once they had cured.

This turned out to be much to fiddely so the treasure chest got sculpted the traditional way, in one piece over a little armature.

As for painting miniatures , I finished the Goblin Rabble pack from Ral Partha’s demonworld/ Blighthaven range.

Lovely figures to paint with lots of character, to bad these haven’t made it to their singles collection yet as I’d love to get my hands on some more of the different poses.

I’m going to have to rummage through my lead pile and see which figures strike my fancy .

Also, having done the little treasure chest, I think I might try sculpting a mimic version of it to.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

I like the chest especially and a mimic version would be aces.

That chest look sharp.

Participant

I seem to have missed quite a few gems since last time I looked.

You’ve got mad sculpting skills, the flying eye and chest are amazing.

Loving your colourful schemes too, very different from my more muted natural tones.

Participant

Got some more sculpting done, finished the little chest and made a bigger one.

Treasure chests! Quick, check for traps…

Treasure chests! Quick, check for traps...

And then just couldn’t resist trying my hand at sculpting one of these…

Oh no! Too late…

This little Mimic was really fun to do. I think ,as I start doing other furniture, more of them may end up  sneaking in 😎 ( isn’t he adorable? )

I also painted these skeletal knights from Ral Partha’s 1879 18mm VSF line.

Sadly my flash seems to have washed out the colors and depth a bit but you can still get an idea of what they look like.

I like their slightly more exotic look, makes them look like they are from some long lost civilisation imo.

Real life has been keeping me busy so that’s all for now.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

That mimic is the bomb!!

Real life has been keeping me busy so that’s all for now.

Hope all is ok

I like the fangs, really predatory. Healthy gums too.

Participant

These eyes and fangs are the stuff of nightmares. Marvelous work on the mimic!

Participant

In Rangers of Shadow Deep: Temple of Madness there’s rules for a more spell casting oriented ranger.

I really liked the idea but I kept thinking these characters should be able to take familiars instead of animal companions so I painted up these guys.

Now all I have to do is think up some stats for them.

They are all from Ral Partha’s Demonworld line.

I also finished two more traditionnal looking rangers a cleric and an executionner, I don’t know what I’m going to use him for yet, I just think he looks cool.

Besides painting I also managed to do some sculpting.

This one was a bit of an experiment. Its made completely out of plumbers putty. why?

Well, I have a tendancy to spend way to long trying to get some of the details just right when I’m sculpting, plumber’s putty cures in 5 to 10 minutes so that forces me to work fast.

This stuff does not take detail as well as green stuff and I also didn’t even know what it was going to be when I started sculpting so over all I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

I imagine it as a cross between an armadillo and a shark (there’s a d&d monster like that I think).

I may do a second one bursting up out of the ground , could be fun for a Ghost Archipelago scenario.

That’s it for now, I hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

Very inspiring work as always!

I like your little creation and wonder why it doesn’t have a name yet 😊.

Participant

I had a rather productive week, all the terrain on this board is newly built.

The rocks and hill were made from cork coasters, the bridge is made from coffee stirrers and the bushes are plastic aquarium plants.

I had enough cork coasters for three more hills so now I’ve finally got some elevated terrain for my games.

Next up is a summoner and his pet demon.

The wizard is a Demonworld figure and the demon is a 28mm Vor growler pup both from Ral Partha.

The braziers are demonworld demons with an upholstery nail glued on top and some green stuff flames. They are nice sculpts but a bit to static for my tastes, this seemed like a good way to still be able to use them.

I also finished the rest of the pillars which you can see in the background.

The rest is a rather mixed bunch as I’ve largely been paining which ever figure struck my fancy.

So, from left to right we’ve got, another dark knight, a jailor, my new more spell casting focused ranger, a dwarven man at arms and a dwarven crossbow man who appears to be a bit bugg eyed in this picture.

And, in preparation for Frostgrave 2e. some bronze statues.

Thats it for now.

Tomorrow I’m off to Spiel 2019 in Essen where I’ll be spending the rest of the week in boardgame bliss so it may be a while longer till you hear from me again.

Cheers,

Stroezie

Participant

That all looks fabulous Stroezie, some great ideas in this post as well.

I’d like to borrow your idea for these braziers if I may, they’re brilliant!

Participant

I’d like to borrow your idea for these braziers if I may, they’re brilliant!

Borrow away! That’s what the internet is for isn’t it?

I’m pretty pleased with them myself. I’m actually thinking of ordering some more so I can line the walls of a temple with them.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Like the painting on the bronze statues. I wonder though if they’ll look better as marble on teh pillars.

Participant

I wonder though if they’ll look better as marble on teh pillars.

I was going to do them as stone statues at first but to me the figures don’t really look like they were carved from stone so I decided to paint them as though they were cast in bronze instead.

Now if you really want a marble statue…                 …here you go

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

Some good swag in here my man.

Participant

So, what have I been up to lately?

Well, I decided to try my hand at making some modular dungeon and cavern tiles.

I’ve been playing a lot of  Rangers of Shadow Deep and D&D and I want to increase my indoor options.

Here’s what I’ve got so far

I got the design from Wyloch’s Armory , if you have not done so already, you should definately check out his youtube channel it’s awesome!

The only change I made was to rescale them for 15mm and magnetise the bottoms so they don’t slide around during play ( I have a white board as a playing surface )

I also painted some more dwarfs.

In my mind they are a cleric, a wizard and a fighter, although they could always end up being something else once they hit the table.

The campfire is a quick sculpt I did because I needed one in a game.

I hate to waste green stuff so I usually always have some press molds or dump sculpts so I can use up any leftovers.

These are the results of my latest batch of dump sculpts.

and a shot with the dwarves to give you an idea of their size.

Thats it for now.

So what’s next?

Well, I’ve cut a small mountain of tiles to further expand my dungeons,

have just recieved my kickstarter pledge  from Splintered Light and to top it all off,

daughter number one has asked me to help her roll up a character for D&D.

All in all, I should have plenty more to share with you soon.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.