Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Stroezie's painting log.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Great idea these Dump Sculpts, I should start a project like these. They’re stunning, I like the cartoony style.

And then there’s that dungeon: wow, brilliant idea and looks amazing.

Nice work sir!

Participant

Ok folks, last post of the year before the holiday madness begins.

Best make it a good’un then 😎 ,

So….

…”Out of the mists of Tír na nÓg strides Slaine MacRoth with his axe ‘Brainbiter’ in hand and his dwarf Ukko by his side.”

Sláine: “Announce me, dwarf.”

Ukko: “Er… Sláine Mac Roth… a bone-splitter, a reddener of swords, a pruner of limbs who delights in red-frothed, glorious carnage. No welcome visitor. Not a friendly face. Your lives would be prolonged for getting out of his way. Excellent with the axe and sword he is. Far from trifling the wounds he gives with his ungentle, woe-working weapons. Well damaged his enemies. Their tribes are full of vacancies. But I expect you know that yourselves now!”

Being slightly underwhelmed by the size of the Splintered light not-Slaine I decided to take matters into my own hands and convert a Ral Partha Thain barbarian into a more decently sized 15(18)mm Slaine.

I cut away his puny knife and green stuffed him a propper axe…

…and then gave him a fur cape.

And because you can’t have a hero without some monsters for him to fight I also painted…

a cave bear from Northstar,

I am the carrion maker!

a Green Hag from Ral Partha

I can’t waste time talking to you… I’ll stop that mouth with steel!

some Owlbears from Splintered light

Kiss my axe!
    some Splintered light Perytons

Flies will enter these wounds!
    a bunch of goblins , the mounted ones are from Ral Partha, the one on foot is from Splintered light.

I am the reddener of armour! My axe shall leave a wake of death!
    two Splintered light chimeras

It’s time I got more gore on my war weapon!

A pair (foursome?) of ettins from Splintered light.

Ha! Double the number of heads for me to pickle and show of to my friends!

A big purple people eater from Ral Partha

I am the CORPSE-SCORER!The axe river will flow — and you will drown in the wound sea!

And finally a lava demon also from Ral Partha.

I am Slaine MacRoth, my blood is white hot!

All in all I painted nearly a score of figures…

…and I did not think it to many 😈

Cheers and happy holidays every body!!!

Stroezie.

Participant

👏 Marvelous conversion you did on Slaine.

Very impressive post to end the year with. The lava demon in particular is brilliant.

Happy Holidays!

Painting on the horned lava demon amazed me, Im still wrapping my head around the choice of colors. I wonder how you’d kill that thing, it’ll probably melt any steel weapons used on it. The wrapping on th axe also looks good, you’ve even painted runes on it.

I suspect Slaine is the only man who can defeat Conan in combat.
    I have very fond memories of reading Slaine in 2000AD as a nipper, I still have a cellotape bound book of the 3 graphic novels from the 80’s.

Good quotes and I had forgotten about the head pickling!

That demon is very ace, was there a video you did of the how to that you are about to share?

Hmmmmmmm Slaine..

Participant

Thanks, no video though I’m afraid. But it was a simple, pretty straight forward process.

Undercoat white, paint with yellow ink, drybrush orange then red and then paint the accents in black then drybrush black over the black to make it blend in and done.

Oh and as for Slaine comics, if that’s your favourite story arc, you may be happy to know…

Upcoming Slaine collecters

edition 2020

I know I am!

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

Ok, first post of the year.

What! Wait where did January go?

Oh well…   there goes that new years resolution…

Let’s see what I’ve been up to then…

First of I’ve been bangin’ away at some more cavern tiles for D&D

As you can see I’m starting to get enough pieces together so that I can build a decent battle scene

I’m thinking of making some water edge tiles to soften the transitions from land to water a bit and then some scatter terrain like stalacmites, mushroom clusters and crystal formations.

On to the miniature painting side then…

No D&D is complete without some Orcs

More orcs…

And a couple of adventurers to help stop said orcs

This next mini is from the last splintered light kickstarter, when I saw him I pledged immediately,

personally I think it is the coolest looking minotaur miniature you can find in 15mm.

Makes for a really butch end of session bad guy imo.

The next three figures are actually from the old 28mm Rackham line, I think they were supposed to be some kind of air elemental familiars or something.

They make great 15mm guardian spirits though,

the question is “Are they friend or foe?”

I’ve also based and primed a whole bunch of undead so with a bit of luck I should have more pics to share with you soon.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Ps: sorry for the quality of some of the pictures, I have just swapped out all my old lamp bulbs for LED’s and I’m struggling a little to find the right camera settings to compensate.

Keymaster

Cool beans!!

That orc with the big hat, aces.

The skulls on the minotaur, they look small compared to a 15mm head, or is that just me?

They make great 15mm guardian spirits though,

yes, yes they do!

Is that a female shaman/wizard there?
    If so, from whence doth she hail?

15mm is soooo underrated.

Participant

The skulls on the minotaur, they look small compared to a 15mm head, or is that just me?

They are no doubt Pixie skulls! Oh, the vicious brute! 😉

The female shaman/wizard is from Splintered Light

you can find her here Female Adventurers

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

ou can find her here Female Adventurers

Cheers, I like all those figures!

Participant

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been a bit busy lately.

Great idea these guardian spirits. Some of these 28mm models look as if they’re made for 15mm too (I’m thinking about buying some Bushido kami to use as elementals myself) and these fit in just perfectly.

The minotaur is probably one of the best models for its kind that I’ve ever seen. What an amazing sculpt and your brushwork makes him even better.

Sweet looking orcs as well of course, another marvelous post as a whole.

Participant

Some more figures for my ROSD and D&D games.

Our story begins with…
    The valiant town guard

I have more of them on the way, just as soon as I get around to cutting of their pikes and then sculpting them some halberts.

And they are up against…

some spooky specters

Three shadowy wraiths

two fierce wights (who apparently frequent the same hair salon as the bride of Frankenstein 😛)

and a whole passel of ghouls and ghasts

For those of you wondering.
    The guards are from Ral Partha’s Blighthaven/Demonworld line.
    All the undead are from Splintered Light, exept for one ghoul who is from Alternative Armies.

Well, thats it for this episode.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Participant

Everything looks great mate, with your skill it’s even hard to tell they’re actually 15mm.</p>
    I really should get painting again myself and your work certainly has given me a push in the right direction.

Keymaster

The guards are nice.

Are those spectres bilious green?

Participant

Thanks for the compliments guys 😳

Are those spectres bilious green?

They’re various shades of green from unmarked pots I’m afraid, so I don’t really know.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Keymaster

Anyway!!
    When will we see your ships in action?
    MOAR conan plez!!!

Participant

Wow I’ve missed tonnes. Dunno where to start……..You are doing a great job. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. You have a good eye for colour. Those spectre things in green look simply bad ass. I’m going to do that. In fact I’ll send you a self addressed box. If you then could pop all the featured miniatures into it and send it back that’ll be cool. Or I could find out where you live and if you see a dark figure climbing out of your window carrying all your miniatures in the middle of the night that might be me.

Participant

Wow you’ve been busy!  Looks great.

Participant

I’ve been in a bit of a gaming and crafting funk this last month but now I’ve found my mojo back and I have my 7 year old daughter to thank for it.

She was getting bored sitting at home all the time so I had given her a block of Das clay I had lying around. She took it straight up to her room and about two hours later she presented me with two monsters she’d made and told me I had to paint them so I could use them with my little men.

How could I refuse…

So here’s the first, a tentacled Lovecraftian horror , which I have been informed is actually only the head of a gigantic subterranean worm.

And the second one, a cave monster who lures greedy adventures into its mouth using large gemstones.

As you can see he’s perfectly camouflaged and blends right into his surroundings.

They’ll never suspect a thing!

I had so much fun painting these that I kept right on going with some terrain building.

The first things I made were these stalagmite tiles for my cavern set.

Really simple, I just twisted some aluminum foil into the desired shapes and hot glued them to the tiles, some basing sand and paint and Bob’s your uncle.

Going for more easy wins I decided to finally base and paint all my left over green stuff mushrooms.

And then I finally finished painting the board I’m going to be using my dungeon/cavern tiles on.

It’s a magnetic whiteboard which I picked up at a second hand store for the princely sum of  €3.

All the tiles are mounted on magnetic paper so I can set up a scene before a session and not have to worry about things shifting when I pull it out.

As you can see they stay on really well.

That’s it for now,

I’ll leave you with some glamour shots of the new beasties on the table…

What’s this? A mushroom grove…

Or a nursery!

Parallel worlds or what !?!

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

That is wicked, and kudos to your daughter, great idea with the gem mouth

Participant

Last week we finally got down to making some D&D characters for my wife and daugter.

A Witcher inspired half elf paladin for my little girl and as usual my wife went the furry route and decided to play an Alseid ranger.

Now it was up to me to find them some suitable minis.

Easy enough for the kid, a demonworld elf with an extra scabbard added for his second longsword did the trick.

For my wife’s ranger I started with a demonworld centaur, resculpted the tail and hooves and added antlers and the appropriate female bits.

In their first adventure they have to stop a strange tree creature from harvesting villagers heads. This guy from Splintered light fits the job perfectly.

And what would D&D be without some ogers…

… and some trolls

And finally, my first ever dragon miniature.

Its a plastic dracolich mini from the first edition decent boardgame.

The details were a bit soft in some places but over al I’m quite happy with how she turned out.

I always thought she looked a bit small next to the other minis in the box, but for 15mm she’s just about perfect imo.

I still need to make some more bits and bobs of terrain and a miniature for the singing tree for  the finale of the adventure and then we’re all set.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

I managed to make some more progress on my modular cavern terrain.

I wanted a way to add some elevation so I made some simple risers from foamcore and some wall pieces to go in front of them.

I like them, but I will be experimenting some more I think to break up that ruler straight line.

As I was about to paint the last wall piece I suddenly thought to myself “I could paint this blue and have a little waterfall !” and so…

Then, as a change of pace, I decided to try my hand at some more fungus terrain.

I made two mushroom trees.

I really like how these turned out and I’ll definately be making more of them.

If people are interested I may even do a little tutorial.

And then of course I couldn’t resist building a little encounter, just to see how it all goes together.

Perfect for a big end battle! 😉

And of course a close up of our two heroes about to enter into an epic battle with their fungal opponents.

That’s it for now.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

. If people are interested I may even do a little tutorial.

Me am interested

Nice work as always. I have fungus and fungi on my list to do and yours look great. I will definitely copy without shame.

Looks great man.
    I’m interested in how you did the 4 sections on each tile. Took me a while to realize those were individual tiles and not sections.

Nice, the walls defo make it seem underground dungeon cavern.
    But a centaur underground?
    That sounds like torture ..

I reckon those 4 sections are cork

Participant

For those of you who might be interested, I’ve put up a tutorial for the mushroom trees on my blog

Link

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

That’s a very interesting method of sculpting bark texture you describe in your blog. I’ve never thought of hardened hot glue as a sculptable medium before. Will need to give that a try.

Thanks for the guide. I agree the hotglue bark is interesting. Also interesting is the plumber putty, I might have to give that a try.

Participant

Just a simple update of the models I managed to paint these last few weeks.
    They are all from Ral Partha’s Demonworld line.

I did three more trolls, they are a bit darker then the two previous ones but then these are obviously more civilised and thats enough of an explanation for me. 😉

Another oger cause all good things come in threes.

A murder of harpies…

More death from above in the form of some savage gargoyles

And last but not least, a dark elf raiding party

More to come…        …soonish…

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Participant

I’ve said it once and I’ll say again. I do like you’re infusion of colour and how you use it to coordinate the different groups.

I’m quite the fan of Ral Partha. I’ve been meaning to get some Gargoyles and those certainly look good. They definitely look like they’ve just come alive and have unstuck themselves from a side of a cathedral. Ral Partha’s website doesn’t showcase many painted models. For people like me who exhibit zero imagination find it hard to imagine the models in painted form. So it’s nice to see them in all glory.

Participant

I decided to experiment a little to see if I couldn’t come up with an idea to make more mushrooms quickly.

After rummaging through the bits box I came up with these.

Different sizes of half beads and .177 and .22 airgun pellets => instant mushrooms.

Not as good looking as my fully sculpted ones  but way faster to make so I’ll take ’em!

I decided to try doing a tree to.

It looks ok but I think I’ll stick to making these  fully by hand as there  is much less of a time save.

On the  minis side of things, I decided that my dark elves lacked leadership so I painted up a priestess and her fiendish bodyguard.

(both are from Splintered light miniatures)

The figure on the ground was made from all the green stuff and milliput leftovers from other sculpting projects.

Well, that’s it for now.

Next time we learn how to summon monsters…

Cheers,

Stroezie.

The little red ones look real good and tasty.

Participant

I do like the pellets as the mushroom base but the more freeform mushroom caps are more fun.

Although, since I’m not very good at this, I might go with the more uniform caps

Participant

First we build a metal framework to hold the creature during the summoning process.

Then we mix the four basic elements together to form the sacred “Green Stuff” (50/50 mix milliput / kneadatite)

and with the hard and soft implements we alternately press, poke and caress the putty into a similitude of the creature we wish to conjure.

Slowly the creature takes form…

untill finally, after much patience and detailed work…       …succes!!!

Now through the use of various mythic pigments, we bring our monster to life.

And lastly we give it a small offering of flock and bind it to this plane of existence with a final “Ard Coat”.

Behold fellow practitionners of the arcane arts: “the Othyug!”

Never shall we have to worry about where to get rid of our excrement again!

Or worry about those pesky adventurers surprising us during number two for that matter.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

That is wicked, how many sculpting sessions do you take for something like that?

Participant

Thanks, I did him in four sessions, but I should have done five or six.
    There are some rough spots that could have been avoided if I had been less tired.
    Also green stuff tends to work better in thin layers imo.
    So I rushed him a little but I wanted to get him finished before we leave on holidays tomorrow 😎.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Those eyes gives me the creeps. I can’t look at the pic too long.

Did you mix in miliput to give it strength?

Participant

Mixing in milliput makes the putty a little softer and less stretchy, cheese string like. It makes the mix obey my prodding and poking a little better and once it cures you can cut it like green stuff and file it down like milliput.
    Also, milliput is much cheaper than green stuff.😉

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Participant

I seem to have caught the sculpting bug again.

Best to make the most use of it then.😉

I started of with a conversion of a splintered light Chimera.

Instead of glueing on the three heads I sculpted it a new one and gave it a spiked ball tail, turning it into a Manticore.

I was going for a blend of human and leonine features but it’s been a long time since I’ve tried doing faces and I had forgotten how much I struggle with them.

Even so, I think he looks pretty good on the tabletop, so I am happy with it.

And here’s the little fellow with some paint on him and his cousins flanking him so you can get an idea of what the original mini looks like.

The next two sculpts are going to be another D&D classic, the Carrion Crawler.

This was actually the first monster I ever ran back when I first started playing D&D as a kid, so I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for it.

Now the Carrion Crawler has gone through quite a few desingn changes throughout the various editions and they all had things I liked about them and things I didn’t, therefore mine will be an amalgamation of all of those plus whatever I think looks cool or I think I can pull of within my limited sculpting abilities.

Now, because a number of people have asked about my sculpting process I thought I’d post photos of these session by session.

Be warned ,I am a very unorganised, chaotic builder / sculpter so it might get rough sometimes.

So first session:

I made an armature out of aluminium foil and promptly forgot to photograph it (don’t worry I’ll get the next one)

Then I covered that in a thin layer of green stuff and roughly sketched in the belly plates and started on adding the legs.

That’s it for the first session.

Second session.

I added the rest of the legs and started on the head, adding a little more bulk and starting to detail the eyes.

The teeth were also added at this stage.

I used the left over putty to sculpt the first chitin plate and there ends session two.

Session three:

Here’s that armature I promised you (see I told you it was going to be unplanned and chaotic 😉

Not really much to see there so…

…back to the sculpting,

I added the mandibles and the euh… …lips I guess,

And did another plate of chitin on its back.

I also decided the rear end was to plain looking so I started adding some detail there too.

Session four,

more backplates, butt detail and starting to cover the second armature with the first layer of green stuff.

Session five, more backplates…

Session six,

finished the first crawler by adding the tentacles and made some serious headway on the second one.

I actually made the tentacles, legs and mandibles ahead of time and let them fully cure before attaching them with a teeny weeny ball of green stuff and some super glue, this greatly sped up the process.

Here’s a picture of the finished crawler next to a Splintered Light beastman to give you an idea of the size.

Well that’s it for now.

Next time we finish the second one and get some paint on them.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.