Home Forums WWII Struggling with scale

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Ross
    Participant

Hello all

I’m going to start ww2 mini gaming, solo (by choice) and I’m looking for larger engagements (20-30 vehicles and several hundred men on the table at a time).

Not sure if I can do this with 10mm. I know 6mm will work, but I’m afraid 6mm is just too small.

Chime in if you had this dilemma and what you chose.

Thanks

Norm S
    Participant

I go with 10mm because the vehicle footprints are still reasonable, whilst the infantry are also good.

I have been distracted lately by 20mm, simply because of the aesthetic and for the first time I actually enjoy painting something

but the reality is that on my small table, 10mm is the way for me to go.

This article might interest you  LINK

also this is the third article that looks a bit more at 10mm as an alternative to 6mm LINK

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m sorry to differ with you on the issue of 6mm scale’s being too small. I’m fact I think it’s well recommended for the size of engagement you’re looking at. Though I agree 10mm has a lot to recommend it I think you’ll find it too large for engagements of several hundred men. Although to be sure a lot depends on the gaming space as well – how big a table will you have available?

Bruce Ross
    Participant

My table will roughly be 4’x6′ maybe 4’x8′

Mr. Average
    Participant

I think you’ll find 6mm may suit you better for the size of engagement you want.  In particular if you’re team-basing your infantry.  Personally, at that size, I’d be using 3mm scale, but that’s me.

Bruce Ross
    Participant

I think it’s just my love affair with larger scales….for the most part, they look better (GHQ stuff looks better than a lot of 10mm stuff), but I’m not model kit building….I’m war gaming. If I think about that, then it’s a clear and easy decision.

6mm

Just Jack
    Participant

I’m on my phone, so can’t post a link, but if you go to my blog (from one of the ‘Cuba Libre’ posts), look at the right side for tags, then select ‘Hell on Wheels,’ you’ll see some battalion-level (1 stand/vehicle equals 1 squad/vehicle) fights on an 8′ x 6′ table.

Not as many vehicles as you’re looking for, but should give you an idea.  I love 10mm, but for the size engagements you’re tLking about, I’d go 6mm and platoon base them.

Actually, I did! 😉

So if you go to my blog and hit the tag ‘5Core Brigade Command, you can see pictures of modern NATO and WarPac 6mm that is platoon-based (3 vehicles per base).

Hope it helps.

V/R,

Jack

Shaun Travers
    Participant

I went for 6mm to play on small (2’x’3′ and 2’x2′) tables.  I only play with about  3-8 tanks.  I believe for your size table and the number of vehicles, 6mm would be the way to go.  10mm is a good size, but I think you would have to scale back the number of vehicles to make it look ok.  My opinion only of course!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

10mm would be my recommendation. I play on a 6’x4′ table for larger games of BKCII, which easily accomodates 20 – 30 vehicles. In terms of infantry there would probably be 30 -40 stands (total for both sides). Having played CWC with 6mm vehicles, once based (for protection) they take up a similar area as unbased 10mm. Hope this helps?

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I’d suggest the Battlegroup rules at 6mm, 1:1 tanks and infantry and looks good with between 5-50 vehicles and loads of infantry per side

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

kyoteblue
    Participant

I game every thing in 15mm, that way, my terrain works for every thing.

simon ford
    Participant

I do all my gaming in 20mm but then I am fortunate to have a table that is 27 feet long by 5.5 wide. I can’t figure out how to post photos here but if you are on Facebook I have a closed page, feel free to ask to join, Wargameroz’s 20mm Ramblings lots of pictures etc

irishserb
    Participant

Hi, I have a modular table, so game on a 4’x6′ or 6’x9′ table most of the time, I have gamed WWII with 6, 15, 20, and 28mm figs over the years.  I currently game with 6mm and 15mm for WWII with using 1 to 1 vehicle representation and fire team basing for 6mm, (everything is 1 to 1 individual basing for 15mm).  I would heavily recommend the 6mm route given your table size.  The smaller scale will give you greatly flexibility with respect to the scope of your battles, and would better fit the smaller table size limits.  3mm might be a consideration, though for me is small enough that it gets hard to identify at a more than a couple of feet distance.

willz
    Participant

I do all my gaming in 20mm but then I am fortunate to have a table that is 27 feet long by 5.5 wide. I can’t figure out how to post photos here but if you are on Facebook I have a closed page, feel free to ask to join, Wargameroz’s 20mm Ramblings lots of pictures etc

I am sooooooooooooooooo jealous, you lucky sod any chance of some photo’s so I can lick the screen and dream.

Ditto on 20mm for me is the only scale, though that might be a throw back from sixties as that’s all you could buy.  If I was starting all over I might be tempted with 15mm as there is such a vast choice and stowage is almost half the space as 20mm.

simon ford
    Participant

William

i havent figured out out how to do it from my iPad, but look up Wagameroz’s 20mm Ramblings on Facebook and ask to join, lots of stuff on there

simon

NTM
    Participant

I game every thing in 15mm, that way, my terrain works for every thing.

Same here. If starting from scratch today I’d probably go 10mm but life’s too short to go about buying and painting a whole new lot of terrain and scenics.

kyoteblue
    Participant

My 15mm terrain works with almost all of my 15mm periods …. so If you don’t want to spend a lot on terrain and troops go 6mm…. and just give me all your useless 15mm stuff…..wink wink.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.