Home Forums Air and Sea Air Table Air Combat AAR

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I’ve been playing a bit of Table Air Combat and will be playing a series of Battle of Britain scenarios over the next couple of weeks, while I’m on holiday.

It’s a neat little print and play WW2 air combat system and I like it a lot, needless to say, especially as it is very cheap, even if you factor in the printing bit.

Anyway, here’s a link to my ‘other’ wargaming blog with a back catalogue of TAC related posts, so you can decide for yourself if it might be your cup of tea?:

https://teaandawad.blogspot.fr/search/label/Table%20Air%20Combat

Please feel free to take a look.

Thanks

Jim

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Oh and don’t be put off by all the scribbly notes and written spaghetti on the big sheet of paper…you really don’t need to do this to pay the game.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Jim Jackaman.
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Really like your blog, might have to give this a try!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Thanks

I had my doubts at first but, once I had tried it out I was hooked.

It’s such a neat system, especially the turning and firing template which is the core of the way it works.

I also like the emphasis on formations of aircraft rather than planes operating on their own.

And it’s very good value, especially if you get one of the sets of planes e.g. the Battle of Britain, Pacific etc.

:O)

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

CY6 has been my go-to, mostly because I do like to have a bit of 3d in my maneuver.  BUT, it’s a very “heads-down” game with everyone always in their charts rather than looking at the table and chatting, etc.  (though, it is very satisfying when you do get a good tail and end up point blank on their rear and blast them to smithereens!!!)

Does TAC have tailing and the like?  Or is it mostly as their tutorial video shows?  (luck of the initiative roll sort of thing)

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I play a lot of Bag the Hun, which is similar in scope to CY6!, so I know what you mean about charts.

There are no charts at all in TAC, just the move / fire templates which contain all the information, and there’s no record keeping apart from a little counter flipping now and again.

There isn’t any tailing but there’s no reason why there couldn’t be, just come up with your own method.

One thing that bugs me is that there’s no consideration of experience, which seems to be a bit of a glaring omission. I’ve been thinking of ways to build this in – both at the initiative stage and in combat – and I don’t think it would be difficult to do.

Jim

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh yikes, ya that would be a real problem as we all know in all things being equal with machines it’s the pilot that would make the difference!  Have you spoken to the author about it?  Maybe something they can add or alter.  Would it be as easy as giving them a bonus to to damage or maybe a better hit number?

Randy Wheating
    Participant

My thoughts….

I think it is easy enough with TAC to add a + modifier to the initiative and attack roles with experience (example five ‘kills’ to get ace status).  could make for a fun multi-scenario campaign game.  Or maybe Ace status allows the play to upgrade aircraft (Bf-109 to FW-190, Wildcat to Hellcat, etc.).

TAC tailing  – If using the optional high deflection shot rule (recommended) there is a definite advantage for attacker to get into the tailing position.

Cheers,

Randy

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

But it’s the staying there that coul dbe the problem with the way initiative works.  Guess that would put us back to a modifier on the initiative…

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Another Table Air Combat game, this time with Stukas and Bf-109’s against Spits:

http://teaandawad.blogspot.fr/2017/08/table-air-combat-chain-home.html

Good fun!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice!  Way to go for the Sprog!  Sir, your progeny just might end up a “fighting Colonel”!

Your great write-ups pushed me over the edge.  Went and bought a few aircraft but haven’t looked at them all yet.  I’m wondering if it takes into account things like faster rolls to one side vs the other, or if Hurricanes can do that stall-spin to escape tailing enemies… probably too much crunch for this type of rules…

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Sort of.

The emphasis is on formations or pairs of aircraft rather than individual fighters, so that sort of granularity doesn’t really fit, although the move templates do take into account rates of turn, manoeuvrability and energy, so it is there in an abstracted way.

He always beats me…*&^%%&*!!!

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

And a re-play of Spitfire Mk 1 vs Bf-109E scenario using the deflection rules that Randy suggested:

http://teaandawad.blogspot.fr/2017/08/table-air-combat-bf-109e-vs-spitfire.html

They do add a bit of tactical manoeuvring to the game and make side on attacks very tricky.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ah, the old “bingo fuel” rule defo needs to be integrated!  Been thinking of using TAC as the combat part of Mercenary Air Force (ala Area 88 or http://www.rpgnow.com/product/94888/Mercenary-Air-Squadron-Everything-Pack-BUNDLE ), though as you point out there needs to be some more planes put in.  Wonder what their release schedule is?

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Another Table Air Combat after action report, this time on the Russian Front in the Summer of 1941:

https://teaandawad.blogspot.fr/2017/08/table-air-combat-air-strike.html

A bit of a walk over for the Luftwaffe as expected but a good game nonetheless (and it was a fair result)

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Interesting, I would have figured that the I-16s would have had the upper hand.  But coming in from the rear… ya, that’s bad odds.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I was surprised as well but, given that the Soviets were outnumbered two to one, it was a reasonable result.

Next time, I’ll double the number of Soviet elements to even things up a bit more in terms of firepower.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.