Home Forums General Films and TV Taboo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just because it’s what myself and a co-worker agreed as the show to watch right now. We pick a show to watch and discuss regularly and this is the current show. Previously it’s been Shades of Blue, Mr. Robot, Copper, a bunch of shows. It’s just got to be a current show so we can’t binge watch it. We did this with the Bastard Executioner and Taboo appears to be lining up much them same. We stick with a season regardless of whether it sucks or not, in the case of Bastard Executioner it was pretty damned painful to make it through and neither one of us was surprised when it was canceled.

It’s hard to say Taboo just sucks so much as it’s such a slow burn that the fuse has puttered out completely. There’s just a complete lack of audience engagement and I don’t care much about any of the characters at all. I’m desperately trying to figure out what narrative voice Tom Hardy is trying to find in the series and what the story actually is. If it’s a tale of revenge as it seems to be toted as it’s the most lackadaisical revenge plot ever.

Not sure if this show is on anyone’s radar at all (probably not) but seeing if anyone else has developed on opine so far.

Keymaster

No sorry, there are a few shows that I thought would be good for inspiring me gaming wise, some were, some less so..

Participant

Yes.

Great atmosphere, lovely depiction of the HEIC for what they were and a super performance by Pryce against the usual portrayal of posh boss of establishment merchant venturers.

It is a bit slower than the norm of long form British (or US) drama these days and much the better for it. You have to work a bit at what is going on, the threads are intertwined nicely and the playing of all ends against the middle so far is great. Like the filth and general messiness rather than Hollywood chic versions of London.

There could be a bit more depth to some of the characters who are a bit flat or caricatures but there is a lot of showing, not telling and that is good. I feel it is set up nicely for various denouements but how and whether these are fulfilled we shall have to wait and see.

I, if you hadn’t guessed, , like it a lot.

(I could see this milieu making a really good rpg)

Participant

I am with Guy on this one, I am really enjoying it. It’s one that you have to concentrate and watch rather than one that you can chill and watch. I really like the gritty setting of the docksides, the portrayal of EIC is interesting as I have heard of them but know little about them. I am now reading up on them. I also like the flash backs and weird cut scenes.

Stick with it.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

I am trying so hard to engage with the show because the setting is so evocative and the rough and gritty environment is so compelling as mentioned. I’m glad others are engaging it and appreciate you piping up as well. I think that’s my main worry, all this exposition and very little meat by the season finale.

Wargame-wise I think the show certainly flavors well for gothic horror. If you’re looking for making terrain and find yourself with nothing but grays and browns in your paint pots, Taboo will show you how to make it work.

Participant

I really like it too – for pretty much the same reasons Guy gives.

All I need to do now is work out how to make a game out of it 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Finally saw the last episode on iplayer.

I enjoyed it.

But.

It tended to fall between a few stools in the end. Wasn’t sure if it wanted to be a romp, a brooding period piece or macabre gothic. It was a bit Georgian Jason Bourne at times. There was quite a lot of ‘with a bound he was free’.

And for head of a maritime nation Prinny and his minions seem to have forgotten the Royal Navy in the end.

‘Kill Delaney… oh but if he sets foot on a ship, all bets are off. That River Thames looks a bit rough to chase him on. Best let him go.’

Wasn’t convinced by the 19th century letter bomb either to be honest.

A good romp, but I have to confess I’m still not entirely sure why he did most of what he did in the way he did it.

I wonder if they will follow James et al to the far Azores?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.