Home Forums General General Tamiya 1:25 Tiger tank…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I’ve still got one of these Veterans, not sparkling by today’s standard of models, but a magnificent beast back in the day!
    I’m wondering if anyone makes a 1:25 Panzer crewman (original crew got slotted with mi’ pelletgun way back in the 70s ) I could put in the turret? I’d prefer an Afrika Korps looking bloke as I’ve done the Tiggy up serving in Tunisia.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Right, the game’s afoot!
    I’ve got a little man to perch in the turret, some Aber engine grills, and a bit of info on Tunisian Tiggys.
    Now, to bring this venerable old dinosaur, back to life!

Participant

Where did you source the 1/25 crewman?

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Bloke on fleabay, it’s the set from the 1:25 Panther I only need the tank crewman, if you want the other three figures, let me know ad I’ll send ’em you.

How do you do that wonderful paint chipping you see on desert armoured vehicles?

Participant
    Participant

The hairspray method is pretty good. Or you can just do it with a piece of packing sponge. Not sure how badly chipped Tigers would be, they didn’t spend that long in country IIRC.

PzII DAK

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Doug, can you tell me more about the ‘packing sponge’ chipping technique please. It sounds low tech…

perfect for an idiot of my calibre!

Participant

Very simple. you know the cheap sponge packaging you get in blister packs like Warlord etc? Ok, get some black or very dark grey (I use German grey, as I find black too harsh), dip a corner of the sponge into it. practice using the sponge to ‘dab’ the paint onto a flat surface, and when you are happy with the consistency of coverage and that you have the technique right, just dab onto corners and heavily worn areas. Don’t put too much paint on the sponge, and you wasnt to be almost ‘dry sponging’ if I can use that term. Each time you dip the sponge in the paint, do the ones you want most heavily chipped first, then as paint is used up on the sponge, go to the less worn areas to give very light chipping. Hope this helps

Cheers Doug, I’m guessing less is more with weathering. Some say the Tunisian Tigers arrived painted a pea green and the crews painted them yellow/brown just before going to the front. So, I ain’t going to go for the forty year old tractor look!

Participant

I have heard that story about the Tunisian Tigers. Not sure where I heard it or how verifiable it is. As for weathering, well, in 1:25 I would say, start out with less. Paint scratches also can look good, but in the larger scales most people paint them two tone which is a lot of mucking about (in my book).

Dust would be your friend if it gets a bit messy.

Participant

“Some say the Tunisian Tigers arrived painted a pea green and the crews painted them yellow/brown just before going to the front.”

Two of the sPzAbts operated Tigers in Tunisia, 501 and 504.  According to vol.1 of “Tigers in Combat” by Wolfgang Schneider, the Tigers of both units were painted ‘sand-olive’ prior to transport to Africa.  In order to better camouflage them with the vegetation found in north Tunisia, some tanks of 501 (only) were repainted with captured US olive drab.  Hope this helps.

Certainly does DH, thanks a lot.

Participant

“Some say the Tunisian Tigers arrived painted a pea green and the crews painted them yellow/brown just before going to the front.” Two of the sPzAbts operated Tigers in Tunisia, 501 and 504. According to vol.1 of “Tigers in Combat” by Wolfgang Schneider, the Tigers of both units were painted ‘sand-olive’ prior to transport to Africa. In order to better camouflage them with the vegetation found in north Tunisia, some tanks of 501 (only) were repainted with captured US olive drab. Hope this helps.

Or perhaps not, at least according to the Tank Museum, https://blog.tiger-tank.com/tiger-131/tiger-131-restoration-part-v-a-setback-and-a-repaint/

Participant

“Some say the Tunisian Tigers arrived painted a pea green and the crews painted them yellow/brown just before going to the front.” Two of the sPzAbts operated Tigers in Tunisia, 501 and 504. According to vol.1 of “Tigers in Combat” by Wolfgang Schneider, the Tigers of both units were painted ‘sand-olive’ prior to transport to Africa. In order to better camouflage them with the vegetation found in north Tunisia, some tanks of 501 (only) were repainted with captured US olive drab. Hope this helps.

Or perhaps not, at least according to the Tank Museum, https://blog.tiger-tank.com/tiger-131/tiger-131-restoration-part-v-a-setback-and-a-repaint/

Doesn’t really disprove anything that Schneider wrote.  They arrived painted sand-olive and not pea green.  What the units did with them after they arrived, with regard to unit camouflage painting, is only mentioned for sPzAbt 501.  Tiger 131 was part of 504.

Participant

I built one of them! It cost around a tenner in 1974.

It’s 10 times that price now.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Almost spot on with the Bank of England inflation calculator

£10 in 1974 = £102.38 in 2018

Participant

Almost spot on with the Bank of England inflation calculator £10 in 1974 = £102.38 in 2018

I suppose I earned about 40 quid a week in 1974. I make rather more than £400 a week now.

I can buy two!

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

I think the 1:25 Jerry tank commander dates from the early seventies, the detail is very shallow in definition. I remember once seeing an article where a bloke used a surgical scalpel to give these old figures a bit of plastic surgery to sharpen up the detail…

now I need the bleedin’ thing, I can’t find it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.