Home Forums Air and Sea Air Target for Tonight – Nuremberg

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    carojon
    carojon
    Participant

The second test game in our Berlin Campaign took place yesterday at the Devon Wargames Group with an op to Nuremberg by the five Mainforce groups.

If you would like to see how the game went and further thoughts on refining the overall campaign, the just follow the link to JJ’s

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2019/05/target-for-tonight-nuremberg.html

Jonathan (JJ)

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I have to admit, this game fascinates me a little.  I your write ups very interesting and I am trying my best to not jump right on into it!

About the points reduction for loses: could you cost out the different aircraft?  Say maybe a Sterling is worth 1.2 points, a Lancaster is worth 1.8 points.   Maybe a veteran crew is a multiplier, like 1.6.  (are there different levels for crew experience besides veteran?) The small points after the decimal can add up as the friction besides the straight losses of the whole numbers, like a damaged plane could cost 0.x points as it is not a full loss, but still possibly not operational for the next sortie…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

carojon
    carojon
    Participant

Well I find WWII air warfare an itch I have to scratch every now and then and so I decided a long time ago to put this collection together around these rules in their first incarnation and now I have the time, inclination and a bit more reading around the subject to bend my mind to making them a slightly more immersive game and have added a few more models to produce a game that is really easy and fun to run at club in between the other stuff I like doing.

Your thinking reflects my own in terms of better reflecting aircraft losses and I have put together an increased cost in lost victory points according to crew quality from -2VP for a novice crew lost to a whopping -5VP for an elite crew. The idea is to keep points costing an op relatively straight-forward and then simply dividing the total accrued VPs by the number of Ops to come to an average that informs on how well things are going.

I am still not totally happy with the bomb lift construction yet either so have put in a few slight changes to that for testing in the next game, so onward and upward as they say.

Cheers

JJ

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

The idea is to keep points costing an op relatively straight-forward and then simply dividing the total accrued VPs by the number of Ops to come to an average that informs on how well things are going.

Ya, see, I tend to go overboard trying to granulate things, and keeping it simple is a faaaaar better idea!

I am still not totally happy with the bomb lift construction yet either so have put in a few slight changes to that for testing in the next game, so onward and upward as they say.

Is that part of the original rules, or are different bomb loads your product?

And 2 last questions: how do the bomber groups go about getting replacement aircraft and crews?  does BC get VPs for shooting down fighters?

carojon
    carojon
    Participant

The bomb lift is my own addition and adds another layer to the pre-game planning stage alongside the fuel load and weather.

The bomber groups will automatically refresh between ops with new aircraft and replacement crews randomly selected from a prepared list of sixty different options. Again to keep things simple, I took the view that Bomber Command were not hamstrung by the difficulty in replacing their losses in aircrew or aircraft and during the time of the Berlin campaign actually grew in capacity with ever more squadrons converting to Lancasters, whilst the Nachtjagd were held at roughly the same numbers.

The Victoty Point system is there to abstract the tipping point when losses outrun the replacement pipeline and/ or the loss of will to persist with the campaign in the face of a poor return on investment. The VP abstraction has to be there because as stated the attrition rate is designed for a game at the squadron level rather than the overall campaign level.

Yes there is a VP score for shot down nightfighters.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks for the answers.  Please do keep the reports coming!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.