Home Forums Modern Team Whiskey – Fulda Gap Batrep 3 Part II

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

This is the second part of my third Fulda Gap fight, starting at Turn 3. When last we spoke, Team Whiskey had two Mechanized Infantry platoons on the board, and the supporting tank platoon had just come on. Regarding the Mech Inf platoons, Captain Phillips’ India Company had lost a couple Bradleys and 1st Platoon’s infantry has pretty much been wiped out, while Captain Keepers’ Kilo Company got the stuffins knocked out of it, down to two Brads and a five rifle teams.

It’s Turn 3, and so the US side is able to bring in its AH-64 Apache for rotary attack support, but, to be honest, I’m a bit scared to call it up as the Soviets still have quite a few surface to air missile (SAM) systems on the table.

But the Soviets have suffered to, with their tank platoon decimated (one T-72 left) and half their SAMs gone, but they still have the majority of their infantry, and their four ATGMs are still in play.

The AH-64 Apache zooms in just feet above the ground, slows to a hover, then pops up over the small knoll the US mortars (bottom center, at far left table edge) are sheltering behind.

India Company’s 3rd Platoon, under 1Lt Macot, moves up and wreaks destruction. A TOW knocks out an SA-9 Gaskin (top right), while another Bradley fires its 25mm chain gun on an enemy MG in a building (far right). To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/09/team-whiskey-fulda-gap-batrep-3-part-ii.html

I’m really hoping to get two more fights in this weekend, but can only promise one, so stay tuned for more Team Whiskey action.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

At least I did not die….but I would bust me down to Sargent…

Just Jack
    Participant

Yeah man, you made it.  Can’t bust you down, we’re too short on Zeroes as it is.  Lost a lot of them, just not the right ones.  I still can’t believe how lucky Panda got in the first batrep 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Yeah that War Panda be lucky….

Rod RobertsonRod Robertson
    Participant

Just Jack:

That was a very interesting and bloody battle. I’m surprised the Soviets stuck around to receive the level of casualties they did. I would have expected their force to break at about 50% casualties but they stuck around until they reached about 80%! The Americans took a brutal pounding themselves, far more than I expected them to suffer. What is the distance scale on the ground for these battles? Is it knife-fight distances as per Cuba Libre or are the ranges greater? What an infernal cauldron of death and destruction you have created here, modern warfare at the lethal and brutal sharp end of the stick! Well done and thanks for posting this fine Bat. Rep.! You do the hobby proud, Jack. I am most impressed.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

Thanks man, I appreciate it.  Yeah, these games are different from Cuba Libre in scope and scale. Regarding scale, I’ve been playing 1″ equals 25 yards, so my 5′ x 4′ is 1500 x 1200 yards, which is still kind of small but is doing okay.

Regarding scope, in terms of breaking point, I’m really not messing around with them.  For these games, I’m really treating this as a war of extermination. yes, prisoners have been taken at the small-unit level, but in the overall scheme of things, both sides are going for broke.

NATO is fighting to save civilization, with nowhere to fall back to (in the theater/strategic sense, to say nothing of the countries literally fighting for their homes), while the Societs are banking their whole existence on this desperate gambit to push NATO into the sea (I’ve gotta believe they’ve been told NATO was preparing to strike, thus a preemptive war was necessary).

In this particular fight, the Soviets are dug in with nowhere to go (please note the infantry don’t have vehicles), while Team Whiskey is basically on a kamikaze mission. So yeah man, hellacious carnage as both sides neither give nor expect quarter.

It’s been a lot of fun, with one more on the way. I only got one game in this weekend, probably do another two-parter batrep.

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.