Home Forums Modern Team Whiskey – Fulda Gap Batrep 7 Part I

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

It’s 0130 on 7 August 1986, and Team Whiskey is in dire straits. Following the crushing defeat of Kilo Company yesterday in Frankfurt-Am Main, V Corps has been tossing ad-hoc units into the fray to stem the flow of blood as various NATO forces fall back and herd civilian refugees across the last bridge still standing (in the Frankfurt area). As dusk on the 6 Aug 1986 falls, the two sides retract from each other to lick their wounds and reorganize, with NATO stepping up its withdrawals to the south/west bank of the Main river.

However, by approximately 2130 on the 6th, deep reconnaissance noted Soviet armored elements forming up, and by 2300 they had broken through the thin outer line manned by West German Territorials. V Corps, in the midst of evacuating itself, as well as supervising the evacuation of various severely beaten NATO units as well as civilians from a number of European nations, is very disorganized. As a last ditch effort, 11th ACR’s commander turned to Lt Col Lacy and begged him for units to stuff into the breach.

Lt Col Lacy immediately dispatched his Executive Officer, Major Kavscott, with Lt Lamanchew’s 3rd Mechanized Infantry Platoon of Kilo Company, Captain Sighe’s 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon of India Company, and Lt Dillon’s 1st Tank Platoon of Charlie Company. The Brigade also provided a single AH-64 Apache as air support. Lt Col Lacy’s last words to his XO were “Major, every second you hold the bridge open is another soldier or civilian saved from the Red horde.”

The opposing forces, with Soviets on the left and US on the right. As usual, the Team Whiskey force is badly outnumbered. But this time the Soviets actually have the services of a MiG-23 armed for ground attack at their disposal.

The US has two Mech Inf platoons, 2 machine gun teams, four TOW missile launchers, a platoon of 81mm mortars, a platoon of M1 Abrams, and an Apache. Due to supply issues, each US rifle team is down to one LAW (vice their normal two). The Soviets, with six mechanized rifle platoons, 3 machine gun teams, a company of T-72s, a ZSU-23/4 anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) vehicle, the MiG-23 (making one bomb run), and six fire missions from two 2S1 122mm self-propelled howitzers.

I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

Overview of table, north is up. The US force is occupying a line roughly from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. The Soviets are entering the table at top right, needing to exit off the board at bottom left. Tanks must use the bridge, but BMPs may swim. All of that gray mess is supposed to represent a paved slipway leading down to the river.

Soviet BMPs return fire as TOWs come running in. To see how the fight is going, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/10/team-whiskey-fulda-gap-batrep-7-part-i.html

More to come, so stay tuned guys.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

TwisterCon Dice………

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks for checking in, John.

And there’s not denying that my dice have gone cold and something needs to be done about it.  But hippie/commie dice are not the answer 😉

And so you know, those dice have been used.  I used them in every single Cuba Libre game to dice for core forces and support units.  Haven’t used them with Whiskey because the forces are provided in the scenario, but when I get back to my ‘normal’ stuff they’ll be in use again.  Every implement has its specific duty 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

LOL !!!

War PandaWar Panda
    Participant

Firstly its good to get a chance to visit and actually read a report.

Brilliant Jack. Seriously brilliant.

What a fantastic report. I really think your ability to describe and expertly analyze even pre-battle sets your reports apart from the herd. Helps provide a certain attentive focus to the less strategically minded amongst your audience (I’m thinking of Rod, Blue and Shaun here of course )

I especially enjoyed your description of the US armor forward advance and the tactical failures of the decision not to occupy the center. Have you ever been inclined towards replaying a battle after it becomes obvious that a tactical blunder has seriously cost you? I think it could be very interesting to compare results (alas, I’ve never had the opportunity to try this as I’ve found it impossible to make tactical errors  )

It also struck me (they didn’t strike anything else) that we need to rechristen the fabulous “Hellfire”

I was thinking something along the lines of the AGM-114 “Kittenkiss” or “Possumsnuggle”

Anyhows….the game/terrain/minis themselves look great. Again I have to mention my appreciation of the dice shots…I love ’em and it helps to draw me into the random aspect of the battle (although we all know your “random dice rolls” are fixed and staged…we still appreciate your effort to elaborate the lie  )

All the best my friend, keep up the great work

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Just Jack
    Participant

Panda!

“Firstly its good to get a chance to visit and actually read a report.”
    I agree, good to see ya, what’ve you been up to?

“the less strategically minded amongst your audience (I’m thinking of Rod, Blue and Shaun here of course…”
    Goes without saying 😉

“tactical failures of the decision not to occupy the center. Have you ever been inclined towards replaying a battle after it becomes obvious that a tactical blunder has seriously cost you?”
    Honestly I haven’t.  As I get to play lots of games, and I’m always playing campaigns (vice ‘one-offs’), I just move on to the next game and hope I don’t make the same mistake twice.  To me it’s much more fun to have to live with the results, good or bad.  I crack myself up sometimes during my solo play; I try my best to make life difficult on myself.  It doesn’t always show through because, as the only human player I have a huge advantage for my chosen side that just can’t be helped, it’s subconscious.  So I do things consciously to make it more difficult; I’ll glance at the table then just throw my forces down, or even roll to see which unit is in which place.  When it’s ‘my’ turn I push myself to do my activation as quick as possible, as opposed to sitting back for five minutes to survey the table.  I’m always arguing with myself about ‘well, he wouldn’t know that, so I can’t move him there.’  Anything to make it more difficult.  Then sometimes I just screw up 😉

“AGM-114 “Kittenkiss” or “Possumsnuggle””
    Yeah, my Apache has seen better days.  I’d submit we need to redesignate the 81mm mortar as well.  They’ve both been quite a let down the past two games…

“…we all know your “random dice rolls” are fixed and staged…we still appreciate your effort to elaborate the lie…”
    Yeah, I do what I can.  Even the ‘magic dice’ have let me down. 

Take care man, hope all is well.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Rod and Shawn are still MIA….. And yes I do like all the background Just Jack includes in his AAR’s…..

Shaun TraversShaun Travers
    Participant

I am over in the Ancients section (30 games in 30 days).

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Oops sorry Shawn !!!! Hey did you see my DBA/M 15mm armies on my Facebook account ????

War PandaWar Panda
    Participant

Hi Blue 🙂  Shaun I’ll take a gander at Ancients and see what you’re up to.

“…hope all is well”

Life is wonderful right now; truth is I love Autumn but I’m seriously busy at work, which in truth I really enjoy …I hate work at slow or medium pace 🙂

Game wise, SAGA and (slight blush) Frostgrave! Fantasy Wizards, Barbarians, Knights, vicious ice toads! It’s actually a while ton of fun…I have 5 friends playing it tomorrow evening (Its Thankgivings here in Canadia) so I hope to take some photos (not that you military types are interested 🙂

Very little time to do anything apart from that….

Take care

Participant

Are they the photos from a few months ago of some of your dark ages armies? I seem to remember loads of Vikings, that I felt  want for.

War PandaWar Panda
    Participant

Yes that was a SAGA game we played. Frostgrave is fantasy but I use a mix of minis to play, including my dark age gear

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

My 15mm Vikings have longships…not just trees….

Participant

Hey Jack,

Any ETA on Part 2?  Soon?  I am resisting reading Part 1 so I can read the whole battle in one go.  It has been five days now and I am so very tempted to just go ahead and read part I.  Five days is not long for most other people’s AARs, but at the rate you churn them out it feels like a lifetime 🙂

But no pressure. 😉

Just Jack
    Participant

Shaun,

Sorry man, it’s been rough!  The short answer is, I’m not sure.

I should be writing it up right now, but instead I’m playing.  And I’ll be playing tomorrow too.  And Monday is a holiday, so I’ll be playing then too. 😉

I will do my best to get Part II posted as soon as possible, but playing must take precedent!

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Sure Just Jack….you have fun……..we will just kick rocks and wait…

Participant

Kyote, you can just kick rocks if you want – I am going to play game 16 in the 30 ancient games in 30 days instead.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll swing by and read it Shawn.

Rod RobertsonRod Robertson
    Participant

So, Part II?

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

We be jones’in…..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.