Home Forums General Game Design testing picture posting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Dear List

This is a test to see if I can upload a sheet of flags for one of my Imaginations by a link from one of my Yahoo groups Photos section.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOCDAISY/photos/photostream/lightbox/286720947?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/286720947

Otto

Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Dear List.

Hmmmm!!!  It seems to work!  That’s nice to know!

Otto

Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Dear List

Anyway, that upload is a one page sheet showing the colors of my infantry regiments in the Princesses Army of Saxe  Burlap und Schleswig Beerstein. All flags are shown as square when the obverse is identical and rectangular with both sides when the obverse is different. It’s in Jpeg so you should be able to  enlarge it as you wish, and it’s 600 dpi so you should be able to get a fair amount of detail.

Anyway I don’t paint these, I print them off my laser printer. I compose them in CorelDraw  fromVector art and then print them. The downside to doing this is that as many of you know the colors are not “fast” and will fade over time when exposed to light. However, as I can print up as many as I want I can renew them and refresh them when the fade, though more often than not they will get beat up and tattered with use first.

Another trick I use is that I  use  a telescoping mount for the flags. What this is that I have a shaft of the color being a piece of hard piano-wire soldered into the hand and usually through the base of the color bearer. Then I take a piece of brass or aluminum tubing of the right gage to “telescope” onto the shaft. This slides over the shaft snugly and just fits it like a telescope. This piece of tubing is then cut to the length of the color and the color wrapped around it and glued in place, then wrinkle-crinkled to make it  look realistic. (You can’t be too rough with this as you’ll crease  the finish of the paper and little bits of white will show through. This is most difficult if you are using thick photo paper, but the stock I found the best is fortunately label stock which comes pre-gummed.

This means that if the flag ever gets tattered or faded and you tire of it , you can easily replace it by printing a new one. Even the brass tubing sleeve is re-useable. I do keep a small “sabot” around to cover the flag when the troops are on the shelf, and I’ve found that if you keep the troops in a storage box that doesn’t allow in light, they will stay unfaded for decades.

I use this “telescoping method”  especially for my troops in the Renaissance through the 30 years War where I might want to switch around regiments, from battle to battle. In my 30 years War  set up (which uses Imagi-Nations as well) what I do  is I have the normal standard of the regiment, and as I use large units, there is a second standard or color which shows the side. One of them is “The Calvinist International”  and the other is “the Catholic Confederacy.” So if I want to switch around regiments all I have to do is take the one off and  put the other on.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Otto Schmidt.
    Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Doesn’t work for me, just takes me to a Yahoo log in page.

Angel Barracks

Doesn’t work for me, just takes me to a Yahoo log in page.

Same here.
    If you want to show pictures on TWW:

Upload the images to a blog, FB or a file sharing site; I use Photobucket.
    Then copy the URL of the image and post into the box that opens here when you click the IMG button.

Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Odd. Takes me right to the pages.

I will have to check this out.

Mike
    Keymaster

That is no doubt because you have a Yahoo ID and are logged in when you go there.
    Try logging out of Yahoo and then clicking the link.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Mike.
    Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Dear Editor Mike

Hmm… you must be right. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Otto

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.