Home Forums General Films and TV That terrain staple – Lichen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

NatGeo have released a YouTube short on the biology of Lichen.

What’s in a Lichen? How Scientists Got It Wrong for 150 Years

Needs to be a bit longer to give more background and more details rather than ‘cute’ drone shots (both issues I have with the ‘TikTok’  style infotainment genre) but it does settle the litch-en vs like-en question 🙂 and the cute drone shots give some wonderful scenery to gawp at.

Participant

Have to agree with everything you said.  I found it quite interesting, was just settling into it, and it ended.   Very cool though, thanks for sharing it.

Participant

I too would have enjoyed a lot more details on how the three species interact.  Very interesting though.

I’ve always heard, and pronounced it as “like-en”.  Wasn’t aware of any alternative way!

As an aside, I’m planning a day’s hike tomorrow in terrain like that.  Guess I’ll have to keep an eye out for the lichens that are everywhere!

Participant

That is a great video. Amazing that science is still asking questions and finding answers, but also that errors of reasoning can be challenged and disproved 150 years on from the first discovery.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

?..I’m planning a day’s hike tomorrow in terrain like that…

I may make it to the local country park if lucky – so green with envy now!!!

Participant

Hi guys,

Well to me it’s obviously a promo, not the ‘Short Film’ referenced. I think.

A bit like ‘NatGeo’ I think what the fork? Meaningless claptrap is destroying knowledge and intellect. I agree.

Good to see the results, but even more that the lichen on our little islands that haven’t been connected to the Rest-of-World since Gondwana Land, are identical in mode and form.

Hell I still have the lichen I went tramping to collect for modelling in the Southern Alps, 200+ miles from my then home in Christchurch back in the late ’70s!

cheers dave

Participant

I remember ‘studying’ lichens when I was at school, getting on for 50 years ago.  Living in a Pennine mill-town, it was interesting to see lichens re-colonising areas that pollution had cleared them from.  We were taught the two component theory too.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.