Home Forums Medieval Thats QI !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant

I misread the post title and this is what I immediately thought of.

https://twitter.com/DT2ComicsChat/status/1164022265069088768

Participant

…It’s remarkably well-preserved…

Given the state of many Victorian objects Alice has excavated it’s in amazing condition. Soil and water are so good at preservation and yet so bad ๐Ÿ™‚

…Kyburg Castle will display a copy of the gauntlet as part of its permanent exhibition, along with a reconstruction of the rest of the armor the owner would have worn along with it…

Would be interested to see how these match the Leeds Armoury display from around the same time. I’ve not managed to go for a few years (either to the museum or wargaming show held in the side hall) but did get a bookmark as a Christmas present from there! I assume (and could be wrong) that the armour is not a matching ‘set’ but based on items from the area / date?

…It’s possible that such metal objects were melted down and recycled rather than being preserved…

KJ21 – Isaiah 2:4 and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks in real life or to make newer style armour I wonder?

…but until more such gauntlets are found, it is difficult to reach a definitive conclusion…

And archaeologists will spend years debating it! Given that some project leaders can spend 20+ years on a major site it will be a case of changing ideas as new facts turn up ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Interesting article – thanks for sharing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.