Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket The Aburanokōji Incident (1867)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

More horse and musket with not a horse or musket in sight.

In November 1867, members of the Shogunate police force the Shinsengumi ambushed 7 of their own members who had decided to leave the group on the streets of Kyoto. I thought this would make a good, if rather one-sided, Test of Honour game. Buildings were all made for the Sengoku period, so no Edo-era pan-tiled roofs. Figures are by Bac Ninh for the Shinsengumi and Perry (and one Kensei) for the other samurai.

Background and more information here: https://adcgaming.wordpress.com/2020/01/05/the-aburanokoji-incident/

Mike
    Keymaster

Very pretty, how long did that take to play?
    A few minutes?

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Under half an hour I would think. It was really just a way to try out various ways of making Test of Honour less ‘cinematic’ for playing more historical scenarios.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Sounds like that was quite a quick game, and pretty definitive.  I just love your figures and buildings, everything just looks fantastic.

I have long been looking for a good samurai/ronin game, something quick but also with a bit of crunch/chrome (but not too much of course).  How do you feel ToH stands up to some of the others out there?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Usagitsuki
    Participant

I really like ToH, but that’s because of the game mechanics rather than it being a samurai set. I’d take out most of the samurai cliches personally, so I think I’d have used the rules if they’d been a medieval set or whatever.

We played some of the other sets last year but I personally didn’t get on with them much, again that’s really down to preference of game mechanics.

You can get a lot more out of ToH by going beyond the cards a bit. For example, all the bandits have low courage but high wits, whereas all the monks have low wits and high courage. But you could just use a monk card in a bandit group to have a stupid but more stoic bandit, so you can create a warband with different characters.

I wrote a thing with some thoughts about ToH here:
    https://tenkafubu608971038.wordpress.com/2019/08/26/test-of-honour/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks for the write-up.  Might have to give it a go.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.