Home Forums Medieval The Battle of Otterburn: Two DBA Refights

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please see here for a scenario and two battle reports for refights of the Battle of Otterburn, using 6mm figures and the DBA rules.

Participant

Missed this!

Interesting and enjoyable write up (x2!)

I think the Scots are going to have a very hard time reproducing history in the game as set up.

You probably need a way of reproducing Douglas’ sudden eruption on the English right flank (assuming they miss Umfraville/Redman on his flank march), or deflect a significant number of English and Scots off to the side. A downhill surprise flank attack is going to even things up considerably!

I see your blog has a comment from a reader saying that there were virually no English archers present – not sure I’d go quite that far but there should probably be significantly fewer than 7 out of 12 bases (If you are sticking to DBA size armies I am not sure what you do to balance this up – a few more spears?)

I note Dave does not say why he is sure there are no mounted men at arms present either. They obviously had their horses with them (the speed of march leaving their archers behind for one, the flight and chase of Matthew Redman for another). Whether they rode them in battle is I suppose open to question, possibly not at night, although it was a bright moon that made it almost like day apparently – I don’t know either way – if anyone has evidence I’d love to hear it (Not being sarcastic – genuinely interested).

As a solo refight I think I would leave the flank forces off table at the start and set up some sort of chart related mechanism to dice (or card draw) for when and wheteher to introduce one or the other at an (in)opportune moment – historically make Umfraville’s arrival almost impossible. You could allow for a separate flank fight if they bump each other or give an even chance for each showing up, one showing up, or neither showing up if occupied/lost – although the Scots should not really be lost as they seem to have set up this manouevre beforehand.

I think I’d keep some of the archers back from the English line and let them come up in their own time – either on a dice throw or simply rely on the movement/pip system to cover it.

Taking it a bit further you could let both sides main battle arrive piecemeal, as the English seem to have gone off half cocked and the Scots weren’t expecting the imminent arrival of the English. You could then randomise Hotspur’s decision to attack as they attempt to arrange a battle line, giving some edge to both sides trying to organise themselves in time.

Lots of food for thought, Thanks – I may be off to dig out some medievals and give it a go!

Participant

Many thanks Guy.  Additional information is always very useful particularly if I get round to fighting it again.  This battle seems to have provoked more than most!  Although the scenario turned out a couple of good games, it is clear that there is some questionable stuff in there with regards to the composition of the armies, the tactics employed and the best ways of staging the battle.  With regards to surprises, the best way generally I think is to start the battle from the point where the surprise is revealed – but I’m not sure where the dispositions would be at that point – and there wasn’t a map included in the scenario, I had to use some extra sources and some google maps reconnaissance.

Participant

It’s a long time since I put foot on Otterburn, but from memory it’s poor cavalry country, hard enough on foot it’s so uneven.  Given that, I woudn’t fancy a mounted charge so I’d say the knights etc dismounted.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

And it was supposed to be more boggy near the river and rougher on the hills with scrubby trees and bushes apparently, so not ideal.

On the other hand, there is Froissart’s account of the pursuit and capture of Sir Matthew Redman (probably commander of the English flanking force) by Sir James Lindsey who was in turn captured by the retiring English – all supposedly on horseback. So I suppose you pays your money.

I sometimes think we have a rather fixed view of English (and Scottish) knights and men-at-arms always dismounting to fight from a certain point, but from reading various accounts and Helen Nicholson’s Medieval Warfare Theory and Practice, I wouldn’t be so sure. They seem to have had a more balanced view about using a  mounted reserve along with dismounted knights as a strengthening force for their other infantry right through, up to and including possibly Bosworth.

Participant

Yes, I’d say that’s right.  There’s always a bit of good ground among the bad and if your eye is good and you are able to take the rough with the smooth you might ride through it.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

I’m not saying I’d fancy trying it! But I guess if you’d been brought up on horseback it might seem worth a go.

Although the idea of charging across unknown ground in moonlight strikes me as a ‘bold’ move. (And I never believe half of what Froissart says!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.