Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi The beginnings of a micro armour military base

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

So after spending most of my time recently watching everything VOTOMS again, I have started thinking about making a small military outpost for my mechs to fight over/in/around.

The first set of stuff I made. It’s all scratchbuilt from stuff lying around the house.

The fuel tanks will hopefully have an overhead walkway and stairs when all done, I just need to figure out how to make some that looks good..

Guard/TAC towers. A plastic shots glass, soda bottle cap and plastic dome of some sort, with a door from some airdrying clay.

These Quonset huts could be barracks or maybe command posts. I’ll most likely make a few more to have a med hut, storage and more space for the troops. I’m not sure if I’ll be using this sort of ones made in a different way/material. I’ll have to make some more test ones.

On the back here you can make out my attempt at power/ventilation units. I’m resonably pleased with them, and they add a bit of colour, even if it’s not super clear in the pic above!

I have some ideas for more pieces and a sort of perimiter wall, I’ll post more things here as soon as I can make and snap a pic of them 🙂

Check out the blog:
    http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.com/2016/02/more-micro-armour-terrain.html

Thanks for looking!

PaulPaul
    Participant

Looks good. Might I suggest cable ties for stairs?

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Might I suggest cable ties for stairs?

I have done this also, effective and cheaper than buying Z-gauge plastic accessories, not as nice mind, but for all intents and purposes, just fine.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Cheers, glad you both like it.

Thanks for the tip to the both of you as well,I’d forgotten all about that particular trick!

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

What have you textured your bases with? I love making buildings from junk. If I weren’t marking students’ books now, I would be building terrain.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

The stuff is vallejo sandy paste, a sort of basing medium.

I hear you, not doing work would leave so much more time for other stuff! 😉

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

How long/how many bases can you get out of one of those tubs?

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I can’t say exactly as I haven’t really counted, but ballparking it i’d say at least 100 80×80 mm bases and 100+ 20mm figure bases, so a lot at 6mm!

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I might be investing in some of that then. I am getting sick of using bird sand with PVA glue and waiting for it all to dry.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

After some time thinking over what more I’d need, I finally finished a few more pieces for the fledgling base:

The next set of Quonsets, with a medic hut and a maintenance/mechanics hut as well.

Close-up on the mechanics hut.

I also made these domes, inspired by the really cool ones from Ali of Sayiner micro toys:

One industrial dome with the big access door, and the other possibly a hab, or maybe just a different industry?

Last but not least, I made a few more natural features, realizing that my non-urban areas where often too barren for my tastes:

These were real easy to make, just some oven-bake clay over crushed up tinfoil. Came out better than expected, so I might make more.

There are a few more close-up shots on the blog, feel free to have a look:
    http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.com/2016/02/even-more-micro-armour-terrain.html

Thanks for looking!

Northern MonkeyNorthern Monkey
    Participant

these are great, really like the blue huts

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

Love the look of those quonset huts and those domes are killer. Again plenty of ideas worth stealing.

I look forward to seeing some NIJAs SADU and NTC  mecha stomping over them :))

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Do like the domes.

I use Vallejo White Pumice for most of my bases.
    Can get proper bucket loads of bases from one pot.
    I also use Windsor and Newton Sand Texture Gel for smoother finishes, again loads of life.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Don’t worry Stroezie, mechs have stomped around there already, AAR is forthcoming 😉

@AB: I’ll have to look up the W&S texture gel, haven’t tried that one. Thanks for the tip!

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I have ordered the Vallejo basing stuff so we will see how that turns out on my infantry who are ready to be primed and painted. I based them on coins this time because I prefer the weight! I can’t believe I convinced myself to get small MDF bases.

@AB: I’ll have to look up the W&S texture gel, haven’t tried that one. Thanks for the tip!

It is much finer than the Vallejo white pumice, I use it for mud effects and inkwash/drybrush it.
    It is the stuff I used for the mud in Anshan, less gritty and smoother, but still textured.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

The walls for this base have been long in the making, but now I think i hit upon a design that’s easy to make and good looking enough to make the grade.

See for yourself:

The first 20 walls. I’ve figured out I need to make at least as many more.

Some of the SADU and NTC mechs for scale.

With these ones done, there’s only the rest of them to finish 🙂

http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/03/test-pieces-for-outpost-walls.html

TrencherTrencher
    Participant

These are some excellent and inspiring ideas. I like especially those quonset huts.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by TrencherTrencher.

Tank Polo? God, how our gardener hated that game!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Thanks, the great thing about most of this terrain, including the quonsets is that they are so easy to make 🙂

Somebody set up us the bomb!!

Zoom Zigg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.