Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi The Department, Nightclub Mission

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jason Smith
    Participant

More solo cyberpunk with “The Department” Nightclub mission!
    Spoiler: Things don’t end well for our hero.

https://redplayerone.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-department-seventh-mission.html

Nightclub terrain

Whirlwind
    Participant

Very nice.  Which rules are these?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

greg954
    Participant

Thanks for the AAR. Despite not a shot being fired (not sure how things would’ve gone if agent M got spotted). It was enjoyable and probably the only wargaming AAR I’ve read that no shooting took place.

Nice scenery too, is the nightclub all scratch built? It look the business and laid out well too. The cut away offices work really well. Looks good and no need to lean over the table and peer inside at an awkward angle. To try and place your miniature. Not to cluttered  inside, plenty of room to place miniatures. All in all very good.

Jason Smith
    Participant

Very nice. Which rules are these?

“The Department”, a Bladerunner-like solo/co-op game.

Whirlwind
    Participant

Thanks very much Jason.  When I was reading through, I had thought that “The Department” was the name of your setting rather than the specific name of the ruleset.  Seems like there are some very interesting mechanisms in there.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Jason Smith
    Participant

Thanks for the AAR.

Nice scenery too, is the nightclub all scratch built?

Thanks! Yes, the nightclub is all foamcore and plasticard and little beads and such. I’m glad you liked it. 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great report my dude!  Love the commentary and the Ficus, very Snowcrash.  I cracked up at the building a rapport with the cube, had an RPG character build such with a crate once, though it was because his head was stuck in it for several hours…

Your night club is fantastic!  Brilliant to do the overspray on the dance-floor that way.  Really does look like the diffuse lighting, even without AR gogs.  The cutdown walls for the offices was is also a good idea.  In the past I have done full walls, as fiddly as they made things.  Yours is a much better idea.  Keep them reports coming!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I second (third?) the request to keep those reports coming. Your club looks just amazing. The cutaway walls were a brilliant idea, smoothly solving one of those constant dilemmas with wargame terrain: how to keep things looking good but still highly functional. As for the game itself, it was an excellent read as always. I hesitate with The Department, torn between loving the setting and the general cyberpunk atmosphere, and the fact that so few games seem to have any action. It doesn’t sound very good, I know, but I like some gun or sword play in my games. That, and I don’t like PDFs, but that’s another subject.

In any case I still loved the report, and hope very much that you keep them coming!

OldBen1
    Participant

I agree, this is lovely!  I really enjoy the bright colours and the interiors.  Keep them coming!

Jason Smith
    Participant

Thanks everybody! The nightclub was really an experiment. I’m lucky it turned out as well as it did.

I hesitate with The Department, torn between loving the setting and the general cyberpunk atmosphere, and the fact that so few games seem to have any action.

Hmm. In my experience, something almost always happens. I mean, I suppose it might not, but it usually does.

OldBen1
    Participant

That’s probably why I add a lot of action to my games.  If you watch the source material, there is really very little action.  Apparently Blade Runner flopped at the box office because it was pushed as a Harrison Ford action vehicle.  Audiences were put off by the slow detective story.  The nightclub you’ve built is fantastic! Can you move the furniture around inside?  A cool Terminator battle between Arni and Kyle Reece would be fun to play!

Jason Smith
    Participant

The nightclub you’ve built is fantastic! Can you move the furniture around inside? A cool Terminator battle between Arni and Kyle Reece would be fun to play!

Thanks! No, I glued all of the desks and boxes down so I wouldn’t have to worry about nudging them or losing them.

And that would be a fun battle, but I worry that there’s not quite enough cover going on. 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

but I worry that there’s not quite enough cover going on.

That’s what bystanders are for! 

I bought a box of Prieser 1/100 railroad figures (like, 190 or 200 count for $50!), which are very slender compared to 15mm figs.  I left them plain white plastic and mounted them on thin clear bases so they could be used anywhere.  Only actively participating figures are painted for ease of I.D., so the faceless masses are just that, quite literally.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jason Smith
    Participant

I bought a box of Prieser 1/100 railroad figures (like, 190 or 200 count for $50!), which are very slender compared to 15mm figs. I left them plain white plastic and mounted them on thin clear bases so they could be used anywhere. Only actively participating figures are painted for ease of I.D., so the faceless masses are just that, quite literally.

That’s clever! I should do something like that.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Love the sets and feel of the game.

OldBen1
    Participant

Not enough cover you say, that’s what bystanders are for!

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

Not enough cover you say, that’s what bystanders are for!

lol.  I like how you think!

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.