Home Forums General Films and TV The Dig…a little bit of local history

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My wife and I got around to watching the Netflix film “The Dig” the other night and thought I would share my thoughts for those who have not sat down to it yet. This is the story of the uncovery of the Sutton Hoo ship burial which was undertaken just before World War Two. The burial is one of the best pieces of Anglo Saxon archeology in the UK and one of the largest ship burials uncovered.

However there is only scant details of the Saxon history in the film as the focus is very much on the personal lives of the people involved in the dig. All very interesting and a good story but with some unnecessary additional excitement and sex that did not add to the story. The actress used for Edith Pretty was good but too young by about 10 years which grated a bit.

Now as a local to the site, living just on the other side of Ipswich, it was good to see the local story getting told though there was nothing new if you have visited the site. But it was a shame that they were unable to use the original Tranmer House on the Sutton Hoo site as the building used for Mrs Pretty’s house was about twice the size. Even more annoying was the facade used for Ipswich Museum was nothing like our very much loved local building of old things and stuffed animals.

So I would recommend watching if you can, by do not expect a history documentary or reinactment. I would hope that we might, lock down easing allowing, see a bit of a boost to the locality and sites portrayed in the film but just remember that it is not filmed on site.

And the famous helmet, which may or may not be King Readweald’s….the Londoners nicked that though there is a really good visitor center (National Trust) at the site which has a good set of copies and even a full scale model of the burial chamber.

And of course if you do visit Suffolk off the back of this…give me a shout!

Participant

Nice.  Me and SWMBO are set to watch this movie this very week.  And thank you for the invite!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

We enjoyed the film for what it was, but the love interest bit didn’t add anything to the film. The postscript info was useful, in light of what we had just seen.

Participant

To me the bit that said the Basil Brown was only “recently” recognised was interesting as that has always been part of the story at the site for the past 40 years or so… Not sure if that is being overplayed or not.

Not wanting to drop any spoilers here but the Deben, the river that they dragged the boat up from, did have a similar event as depicted in the film but that was later in the war and further up river.

And the love story…just unneeded but Netflix needs to always give a little something. It is at least no Bridgerton…

Participant

I enjoyed it a great deal and thought overall it was well written and acted but, as has been said, the love interest/side plot thing seemed both out of place, unnecessary and a needless bit of padding.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

I just remembered that I visited the site back in ’86 at age 10 when we visited Jolly Old!  I recall the museum’s movie about the mask and ship, and it drizzled a little.  Then we were off to see some Roman floors somewhere.  Obviously I need to visit again to get a proper refresh!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I first went around the same time, but all I remember was a rabbit dieing of mixematosia. Now they have a lot more.

Then you also have Orford Castle, Christchurch Mansion in Ipswich with the museum and it’s wonderful stuffed animals, and for that link to pop culture… Framingham “Castle on the Hill” Castle and Ed Sheeran charity crap in the shops.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.