Home Forums General General The Great? Wargaming Survey 2022.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I started it. I didn’t finish it.

I left this comment on the advertorial on the homepage of this august organ by way of a reply:

Waste of time. The questions are either two broad or too narrow. Sometimes both.

Three answers max to most of them. Then you get options like:

Which periods of settings do you really NOT enjoy? Please rank no more than three from 1-3

Sci-fi (excluding WH40K)
    Warhammer 40K

If I don’t enjoy playing sci-fi games, I’m hardly going to be playing bloody WH40K am I?

How big do you prefer your games to be?

You only get one choice. WTF is the point of that?
    I prefer my skirmish games to be smaller than my 6mm army level games. Derrrr.

I didn’t get any further, but the ‘survey’ seems to be designed to railroad respondents into very tight compartments.

Am I wrong? Am I being a moaning old tosser?
    Probably, yes.
    But, tell me why no-one seems able to write a questionnaire about gamer preferences without totally ballsing it up?

No I can’t either, so don’t even suggest I try. OK?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Whilst serving in the RN we constantly got surveys from 1990 onwards, I noticed very quickly that they were all designed to reach a certain answer or conclusion.  most surveys are designed to make the person or company look good, not to solve any problem or indeed advance any theory.

Last year I started the survey and gave up after question number three, so I won’t be bothering myself to do this one.  I have an important meeting with the bird feeder in the back garden 😀.

Participant

Whilst serving in the RN we constantly got surveys from 1990 onwards, I noticed very quickly that they were all designed to reach a certain answer or conclusion. most surveys are designed to make the person or company look good, not to solve any problem or indeed advance any theory. Last year I started the survey and gave up after question number three, so I won’t be bothering myself to do this one. I have an important meeting with the bird feeder in the back garden 😀.

I realise that, but I don’t see what WSS are getting out of going that route.

I don’t think it’s actually anything sinister, just muddled thinking 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I did actually manage to get through it this time though at least four questions needed a fudge as my preferred answer wasn’t there. A few definitely need ‘none of the above’ and ‘all of the above’ answers. Also I tend not to have ‘favourites’ so substituted most played or whatever this last year.

It must have improved because I have given up in frustration in the past.

I can’t really see that it serves any purpose but nor do most surveys, so I suppose that shouldn’t be held against them. I’d have asked a very different set of questions myself but I’m not trying to decide on what material I should be commissioning next year.

Participant

I gave it a gander and like NCS I decided it was designed to shoehorn the respondent into what WSS wanted to hear.  That might be because the survey was designed by 2-5 people that all have the same common interests and similar experiences.  Or it might be that they really only want to promote certain content and can point to the survey and say “but see, it’s what the people want”.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I completed the survey with little drama, though the responses I was more or less forced to make to certain questions will not give WSS a real picture of how I enjoy this hobby.  I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that they were looking for future content ideas for the magazine.  I don’t buy it, so whatever they print won’t affect me.

One question that did slightly annoy was the one about your ‘spending plans’ for the coming year.  Do gamers really plan their spending and stick to it?  I don’t.  I see something I like the look of, or think I need, and buy it.  Though this might not happen in future once I get this coming winter’s gas bill.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Keymaster

One question that did slightly annoy was the one about your ‘spending plans’ for the coming year. Do gamers really plan their spending and stick to it?

I don’t even plan anything.

Participant

I plan to make plans but no plan survives contact with reality. 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Well, I’ve this moment returned from a lovely walk in the sunshine, so perhaps the endorphins are clouding my mood but I completed this with no reservations.

Admittedly I took a certain relaxed approach given they were blocking off certain avenues of reply and stuck to what options were available.

Planning? Wargaming? Occasionally I get fed up of rummaging through boxes upstairs and decide ‘Something Must Be Done’, sell stuff and end up somehow with more boxes to search through next time I decide to revisit West African Frontier Force campaigns in the First World War (Still up there somewhere -not joking, despite trying to give the Peter Laing figs away to a collector some years ago – no even he didn’t want them).

I used to design questionnaires when I was developing courses in a training school many years ago. We never tried to force people into positive answers but we did try and make sure they answered the questions we wanted answering rather than the ones they necessarily wanted to answer.

It’s difficult and I wasn’t sure what WS&S wanted when they first started this. But having watched Little Wars TV go through some of the ‘data’ I think they are interested in wider answers than a simple marketing exercise. They do need to revise the questions in that case.

I suspect ‘how much did you spend last year’ would give a better feel for financial outlay rather than ‘planned spending’ but may give people more palpitations as they answered.

The whole ‘what material’ do you prefer figures in feels odd given plastic and metal cover 90+% of mine and wood is only there because of Commission Figurines mdf 6/9mm.

But all the oddities aside I’m happy to give them answers to this as I don’t end up tied to a marketing ‘relationship’ if I don’t want and I quite like going through the answers going ‘what did you expect?’, ‘How much!’ and ‘Paper?’.

I reserve the right to b****y awkward next time around though!

Participant

I completed the survey with little drama, though the responses I was more or less forced to make to certain questions will not give WSS a real picture of how I enjoy this hobby. I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that they were looking for future content ideas for the magazine. I don’t buy it, so whatever they print won’t affect me. One question that did slightly annoy was the one about your ‘spending plans’ for the coming year. Do gamers really plan their spending and stick to it? I don’t. I see something I like the look of, or think I need, and buy it. Though this might not happen in future once I get this coming winter’s gas bill.

My plans for the coming year, like every year, are to finish the stuff I bought this year. Never happens.

Participant

Whilst serving in the RN we constantly got surveys from 1990 onwards, I noticed very quickly that they were all designed to reach a certain answer or conclusion. most surveys are designed to make the person or company look good, not to solve any problem or indeed advance any theory. Last year I started the survey and gave up after question number three, so I won’t be bothering myself to do this one. I have an important meeting with the bird feeder in the back garden 😀.

I realise that, but I don’t see what WSS are getting out of going that route. I don’t think it’s actually anything sinister, just muddled thinking 🙂

No I don’t think its sinister either but I get the feeling they are trying to shoehorn you into a certain choice 😀 to fit their preconceived ideas or marketing.  There again I am over 60 and probably a miserable sod😄.

Participant

I actually didn’t have any trouble finishing and answering it either.  Splitting SF from 40K was a good idea I think – 40K is a massive, self contained (by explicit design) behemoth of a setting.   I like playing SF, but cannot stand the 40K rules.  I think it might be interesting to see if there are others like me.

Judging from GW’s latest financial report, there aren’t many!

Participant

I have no idea what WSS is but certainly don’t complete nonsensical questionaires as a hobby.

If you know what you want, you are going to need to know how to design such things; (as above others have said) and knowing what you are doing isn’t always a prerequisite in hobbies- pseudo-businesses or otherwise. ‘Hobby’ businesses die with their owners…

Blinking paint by numbers... bahhumbug!

Participant

I actually didn’t have any trouble finishing and answering it either. Splitting SF from 40K was a good idea I think – 40K is a massive, self contained (by explicit design) behemoth of a setting. I like playing SF, but cannot stand the 40K rules. I think it might be interesting to see if there are others like me. Judging from GW’s latest financial report, there aren’t many!

And that’s fine, but in my case I don’t like playing sci-fi or WH40K. I can’t use a single option to say that.

So the fact that a tickbox labelled “Any sci-fi, including WH40K” isn’t available is going to skew the results. Aggregate all the single choice options and it renders the questionnaire useless as anything but a market research tool. Even then, a not very good one 🙂

Participant

With all surveys I’m reminded of this Yes, Prime Minister sketch.

So while it’s obvious that the questions can lead to the answer one wants, I think a simpler answer is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

So, yes some answers limited the range of responses, but who has the time to to make the perfect questionnaire that can accommodate all wargamers?

Therefore people’s complaints are the result of making the survey all about themselves, and not looking to the bigger picture of, let’s get the data we can. It’s just what it is.

One is good, more is better
    http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Well of course answering a questionnaire is all about oneself, and if one can’t give  honest answers it renders the whole thing meaningless. Which is fine as a bit of fun, but useless as a tool to understand gamer trends.

Participant

The survey isn’t about gaming.  It is a psychological profile survey, used by a secret global government organization.   If you don’t return the survey, and answer properly, they will be coming for you, and you won’t get to take your miniatures where you’re going.

And, yes, I plan my purchases.

Participant

The survey isn’t about gaming. It is a psychological profile survey, used by a secret global government organization. If you don’t return the survey, and answer properly, they will be coming for you, and you won’t get to take your miniatures where you’re going. And, yes, I plan my purchases.

They monitor your iphones / computers, I wear a tinfoil hat and line my loft with lead soldiers to stop the satellites tracking me😀.

Participant

Aggregate ! Aggregate ! Aggregate ! Exterminate!!! 

If you ‘Aggregate’ enough, Pomme Dauphinoise just becomes mashed potatoes!

Blinking paint by numbers... bahhumbug!

Participant

I waded through it again this time. It is just poorly designed in places and waaay too long. But as already noted, designing questionnaires is hard, and it is hardly a global mega corporation with dozens of marketing and UX people on hand to work on it.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Seemed pretty straightforward. I just ticked some boxes and they gave me a free copy of Medieval Warfare magazine.

Participant

Well since you put it like that… :^)

Participant

As a smaller scale gamer in mostly naval and some ancients and medieval, I had low expectations and they were met.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.