Home Forums Air and Sea Naval The IJN of 1905

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I’ve got a good many Japanese ships done here.  All are 3D printed and come from Thingiverse.

The IJN of 1905

John

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

kyoteblue
    Participant

I have a friend who scratch-built both navies with balsawood, your 3-D printing would have speed up the process.

Balsa you say?  I’ve seen tutorials by Don Featherstone about how to make “modern” warships from balsa.  Does your friend have any pictures?  I suspect the ships would have about the same level of detail as 3D prints.  With balsa , however, you can be creative and probably eek out a bit more detail.  There is just a limit on what you can do with 3D printing, especially FDM style printing.  I have seen some really nice detail coming from resin printers though.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Thomaston
    Participant

This is my favorite naval period. I couldn’t tell that you adjusted the 3d models. WTJ sells these ships, though I’m not sure how their details hold up in 1/2400. I bought the Tatsuta in 1/3000 and it looks ok.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Tony Hughes
    Participant

I can confirm that the 1/2400th ships from WTJ have significantly more detail than these models but many still need mast(s) to be added separately. They are quite delicate though and errors in the printing and/or damage in handling/transit do seem to happen. They are pretty expensive though.

I’ve seen the WTJ stuff.  They do have much better models but you do pay for the extra detail.  Mine cost 15 cents per ship on the average.

John

--Abraham Lincoln

Thomaston
    Participant

If you’re interested I could do some IJN TBDs for you. I’ve been itching to do them for a long time. They might be too fragile though.

You’ll have to tell me the minimum thickness you can print.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thanks Thomaston.  There were some already posted on Thingiverse.  Pretty much all of the ships are there.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2860250

I used one type of destroyer.  The Japanese destroyers were a variation on a theme ayway and had only small differences.  There is only one type of torpedo boat making it easy to decide what to use.  😉

John

--Abraham Lincoln

kyoteblue
    Participant

My friend Jon built those ships 30 plus years ago for a campaign game we were playing, I don’t have any pictures and he is not online.

That’s a shame, Kyoteblue.  I really enjoy those creative projects, seeing what others come up with.

John

--Abraham Lincoln

McKinstry
    Participant

Hey Thomaston. I’ve got an Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer A and I’d love to push the bounds of detail beyond those of Thingeverse if you want to take a shot.😇

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Thomaston
    Participant

Hey Thomaston. I’ve got an Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer A and I’d love to push the bounds of detail beyond those of Thingeverse if you want to take a shot.

</p>
    How do I send it to you?

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

McKinstry
    Participant

My email is rmh52ATcomcast.net.

I really think resin  printing is the thing for smaller scales.

Thanks,

Bob

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.