Home Forums WWI the last A7V

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Kaptain Kobold Kaptain Kobold 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

A few years ago, this was parked outside the local museum & my kids (along with others) could climb all over it.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/11/10/22/46/queensland-museum-anzac-legacy-gallery-armistice-centenary

After some restoration, it now & fittingly, has pride of place.

donald

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

It is a good looking Museum.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

It is a good looking Museum.

The Aussies take WW1 very seriously. I believe their armed forces had the most casualties as a percentage of the population than any other participant.

For Australia, from a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of whom more than 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner.

Pretty sobering.

donald

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That is extremely cool.  I would love to be able to see and climb on and in one.  The WW1 tanks hold a sort of mythological status for me.  They seem so huge yet I know they were a lot smaller than my mind paints them…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

I would very much like to see “Mephisto” in person but I know that will never happen.  I can console myself with being able to see a number of WWI tanks at Bovington instead.  They have an A7V there, but sadly it’s just a replica.  But you can climb in and out of one or two of the exhibits, and they are quite large, bigger than many a WWII tank.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Mephisto always seems big. Whether inside in the exhibit hall or out in the museum grounds, it dominates the space. I’d love to see a Mark 1 sitting next to it but the Diggers used the various ones they “captured” , ground down, as shaving blades.

donald

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nothing says “manly” like using a tank to shave…. 

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

I took quite a few pictures of Mephisto when it was on display in Canberra a few years ago. I blogged them here:

https://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com/2016/03/mephisto.html

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That is awesome!  Thanks!  At first I was shocked by how huge it was, then I realized it was on a plinth/platform.  Beautiful pictures.

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Nice photos, thanks.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Kaptain Kobold
    Kaptain Kobold
    Participant

That is awesome! Thanks! At first I was shocked by how huge it was, then I realized it was on a plinth/platform. Beautiful pictures.

It is still pretty big though. Unfortunately they’d displayed it in such a way that it was difficult to get a long-shot of it such that you could appreciate the length.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.