Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy The Mordheim Hireling Agency

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Alex
    Participant

I’m a bit of a sucker for mercenaries of various types – when I returned to wargaming many years ago, Mordheim was one of the first games I picked up.  Alongside a range of warbands (most still need painting!) I started a side-project of sellswords…that spiralled and spiralled until it became what I called the Mordheim Hireling Agency.  I thought it’d be fun to share the various hireling here, along with the little bits of background I came up with for each.

So without further ado, let’s start!  Edit: I’ve updated this post to include my homebrew rules for Abdul – subsequent posts will include rules too.  This is the only place the rules appear online

Abdul – Arabyan Mercenary
    Abdul is a famous sell-sword from the opulent city of Lashiek in the distant land of Araby. His skill with his finely crafted scimitar (known as Prophet’s Will) is second to none and his ferocity in battle is matched only by his sense of honour and justice.

Such is Abdul’s tenacity and determination in battle that his comrades-in-arms are often inspired by his conduct, refusing to flee no matter how desperate the situation.

Arabyan warrior with scimitar

Hire Fee: 30 gold crowns to hire, +15 gold crowns upkeep

May be Hired: Dwarfs, Halflings, Mercenaries and Shadow Warriors may hire Abdul.

Rating: Abdul increases a warband’s rating by +20 points, plus 1 point for each experience point he has.

Experience: Abdul starts with 5 experience and may choose from Combat and Strength skills when he gains a new skill.

MWSBSSTWIALd
    Abdul453331418

Characteristic Limits:  Human

Weapons/Armour:  Abdul is armed with a Double-Handed Sword and a Dagger.

Skills:  Abdul has no skills.

Special Rules:

An Inspirational Man
    The Leader of any warband that hires Abdul counts as having a Cathayan Silk Cloak that cannot be ruined as long as Abdul remains with the warband.  This rule has no effect if the Leader has a Cathayan Silk Cloak and it ceases to have an effect if he buys one after hiring Abdul.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)
    practising hobby eclecticism

Angel Barracks

I do like that sword name.

Alex
    Participant

The Abhorrent Creation – Grave Golem

Born from a particularly foul blend of necromancy and geomancy, the Abhorrent Creation is formed from innumerable graves; headstones, earth and bones fused together into a nightmarish giant.

The dark sorcerer who originally crafted the Abhorrent Creation is long gone, either dead or fled the Dark City. But still the Creation shambles through the streets, instinctively drawn to those who wield the necromantic arts.

Grave golem

Hire Fee: 90 gold crowns to hire, +30 gold crowns upkeep

May be Hired:   Undead may hire the Abhorrent Creation.

Rating:  The Abhorrent Creation increases a warband’s rating by +20 points, plus 1 point for each experience point it has.

Experience:  The Abhorrent Creation starts with 0 experience and may choose from Strength skills when it gains a new skill.

MWSBSSTWIALd
    The Abhorrent Creation430443328

Characteristic Limits:  Ogre

Weapons/Armour:  The Abhorrent Creation carries no weapons (and suffers no penalty because of this..

Skills:  The Abhorrent Creation has no skills.

Special Rules:

Fear
    The Abhorrent Creation causes Fear.

Large
    Any model may shoot at the Abhorrent Creation, even if it is not the closest target.

Crushing Attack
    The Abhorrent Creation may, instead of making its normal attacks, choose to make a single Crushing Attack instead.  If successful, the attack is resolved at Strength 10 with no armour saves allowed.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Mike
    Keymaster

Never really looked into Mordheim, I HAD assumed it used an entirely new engine, but it looks like WFB with each ‘unit’ having a spot rule?

Alex
    Participant

Not a new engine – two categories – heroes and henchman. Heroes are singles, henchman can form small groups. Campaign is where it’s at though for storytelling opportunities.

there are community compiled and updated rules available online after ‘proper’ support was dropped. To my knowledge there are even a few fan-written settings with new warbands, sellswords and more.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Alex
    Participant

Adolphus the Wall – Middenheimer Guard

A legend amongst bodyguards, Adolphus is famed for his skill at arms, his dedication, his stern demeanour and the fact he once broke the charge of a Bretonnian Knight using nothing but his breastplate! Having fought across the known world, Adolphus is well versed in combat and although he excels in defence, he is equally skilled at taking the fight to the enemy.

Heavily armoured in finely crafted steel and wielding his trusty halberd, Adolphus is a fearsome opponent and a much-sought mercenary by the many warbands that have been drawn to Mordheim.

halberdier

Hire Fee: 45 gold crowns to hire, +20 gold crowns up keep

May be Hired: Dwarfs, Halflings, Mercenaries and Witch Hunters may hire Adolphus.

Rating: Adolphus the Wall increases a warband’s rating by +20 points, plus 1 point for each experience point he has.

Experience: Adolphus starts with 8 experience and may choose from Combat and Strength skills when he gains a new skill.

MWSBSSTWIALd
    Adolphus the Wall443342419

Characteristic Limits:
      Human

Weapons/Armour:  Adolphus is armed with a Halberd.  He wears Heavy Armour and a Helmet.

Skills:  Adolphus has the following skills: Combat Master, Strongman.

Special Rules:

Immovable
    Adolphus ignores Knocked Down and Stunned results on the Injury chart.  He must lose his last wound and be taken Out of Action before he is removed from battle.

Immune to Psychology
    Adolphus is immune to psychology and will never need to test if he is fighting alone.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Logain
    Participant

Mike – Mordheim plays very similar to 3rd edition warhammer. There are more detailed rules for things like opening doors, jumping, weapon misfires etc. Great game, with almost everything available online include supplements and fan stuff at Broheim. I agree the campaign system really makes it shine.

Alex – Nice paint jobs! I’m working on a 10mm travel version at the moment. Yours have a lot of character.

Mike
    Keymaster

May have to look at the Mordheim rules…

Angel Barracks

I am confused by the rules.

Like in WFB attacking is WS vs WS, this suggests that when you the attacker are striking, you only manage to do so if you can get past the defenders defences.
    Hence comparing the skills.

But then if you do attack and land the hit, they can parry?
    Surely not landing a blow (ie failing the to hit roll based on both peoples WS) means they did already parry.

Steven Francis
    Participant

Logic in rules? Never catch on. We did a short Mordhiem campaign about 10 years back. Only really drew in two players at the club, while Warmachine and Malifaux both pulled in a lot more players which was odd since most were die hard ” play to win” Gw fans. I may go back to it again if I can tie over my AoS and Warcry minis….but one bit of advice…do not allow elves, they were just too good.

Alex
    Participant

I am confused by the rules. Like in WFB attacking is WS vs WS, this suggests that when you the attacker are striking, you only manage to do so if you can get past the defenders defences. Hence comparing the skills. But then if you do attack and land the hit, they can parry? Surely not landing a blow (ie failing the to hit roll based on both peoples WS) means they did already parry.

Only swords can parry though… and they do cost more than other weapons. There’s a little bit of balancing in there.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Logain
    Participant

Mordheim is definitely not a good play-to-win game. It is a great play to create stories and try to solve tactical problems game. It’s easy to break if you focus on winning, but has lots of character and fun if you can get four or more games warbands in the mix. We always had sorta random warbands and if we couldn’t get more than two or three players would we’d run some extra warbands.

Like Alex shows the characters really take on lives of their own. How many mercs do you have?

We also made Hired Swords half price for the underdog warband during the campaign.

Alex
    Participant

Like Alex shows the characters really take on lives of their own. How many mercs do you have?

I have 178 sellswords and 7 Dramatis Personae (Johann, Veskit, Aenur, Nicodemus, Marianna Cheveaux and Ulli & Marquand).

For warbands I have 18

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Paul west
    Participant

thats a lot of warbands alex think I can scrape together one

I enjoyed Mordheim but I found after 3-4 games with the group it was more fun to reboot it

I think frostgrave seems a simpler solution but in the mordheim world

Alex
    Participant

thats a lot of warbands alex think I can scrape together one I enjoyed Mordheim but I found after 3-4 games with the group it was more fun to reboot it I think frostgrave seems a simpler solution but in the mordheim world

I want to like Frostgrave and have a couple of bands made up. I just dislike the magic-centric nature of it!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Alex
    Participant

Aelfric Finebeard – Imperial Dwarf

Sent by the Esteemed Guild of Dwarven Artisans and Merchants (Lands of Sigmar Branch) to investigate Mordheim and determine if appropriate gold-making opportunities can be found, Aelfric is a typical Imperial Dwarf – proud, well-armed and with an insatiable love of money.

heavily armoured dwarf with a big axe

Hire Fee: 25 gold crowns to hire, +10 gold crowns upkeep

May be Hired: Dwarfs, Halflings, Mercenaries and Witch Hunters may hire Aelfric. Warbands that include Elves may hire Aelfric, but must pay 20 gold crowns after each battle instead of 10 gold crowns.

Rating: Aelfric Finebeard increases a warband’s rating by +10 points, plus 1 point for each experience point he has.

Experience: Aelfric starts with 6 experience and may choose from Combat and Strength skills when he gains a new skill.

MWSBSSTWIALd
    Aelfric Finebeard343342219

Characteristic Limits: Dwarf

Weapons/Armour: Aelfric is armed with a Double-Handed Gromril Axe. He wears Gromril Armour and a Helmet.

Skills: Aelfric has no skills.

Special Rules:

Contacts
    Aelfric allows you to re-roll one roll for a Rare item after each battle. This cannot be used if he is taken Out of Action during the last battle.

Hard Head
    Aelfric ignores the Concussion special rule.

Hard to Kill
    Aelfric is only taken Out of Action on a D6 roll of 6 instead of 5-6 when rolling on the Injury chart. Treat a roll of 5 as Stunned.

Hates Greenskins
    Like all Dwarfs, Aelfric has an ancestral hatred of all greenskins. He hates Orcs, Goblins and Hobgoblins.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.