Home Forums General Game Design The Power of Rules

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    craig cartmell
    Participant

This is an excerpt from In Her Majesty’s Name:

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.
    If there is a rule in this book that you and your comrades in arms do not like, or does not fit the scenario you are currently playing, then change it to suit.
    However, do not do so unless everyone who is playing agrees to the change.

Should rules be law or mere guidelines?

Cheers,
    Craig

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare

Angel Barracks

Ahhhhh, for me if a game has a rule that needs to be changed I change it.
    It does not even need to a ‘broken’ rule that unbalances play.
    It can just be as simple as I don’t like it.

I avoid competitions as these tend to attract the more aggressive style of player; the win at all costs and look for loopholes in the rules type.

Yet with board games I always play as is.

Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

Why, Craig, the first time I ran a game of IHMN I had to construct a whole new set of rules (on the spot) for giant snakes emerging from decorative pools to grab passers by (in this case a one-legged former member of the Confederate armed forces).

So, ‘guidelines’, I suppose.

I do all my own stunts.

irishserb
    Participant

As a player, I go with what the majority prefers to do.  As a GM, the rules don’t change once the game begins.  But as a group, we may “fix” something prior to the start of the game.  Once the game begins though, the rules are law.

craig cartmell
    Participant

Why, Craig, the first time I ran a game of IHMN I had to construct a whole new set of rules (on the spot) for giant snakes emerging from decorative pools to grab passers by (in this case a one-legged former member of the Confederate armed forces). So, ‘guidelines’, I suppose.

We do apologise for not including constrictor snakes rules in IHMN 😉 Something I do believe we put right in Heroes, Villains and Fiends…

Cheers,
    Craig

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare

Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

I’m glad you sorted that out. I notice that almost no rules cover giant erupting snakes adequately, which is why I sneer at Bolt Action, DBX and all Napoleonic grand tactical systems —-

I do all my own stunts.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I feel a 20 page  exposition of why exploding snakes are not covered adequately in wargames designs, with special consideration given to simulations, coming on.

BRB

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

Shhhh —- keep your voice down.

I do all my own stunts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.