Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket The Sikh Wars with 25/30 mm figures ?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paskal 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Paskal
    Participant

Hello everyone ,

Apart the Old Glory and Wargames Foundry factories, which has a big range of 25/30 mm figures for the Sikh Wars?

Thank you

Studio:

http://www.studiominiatures.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=23&Itemid=420

I have only ONE pack for the Sikh Wars — so far! They are the OG Sepoys in shako. I like them. Many, if not most, of the figures for  that range were sculpted by Chris Hughes, of Sash and Saber, if that’s a help.

The OG Army card brings the prices way down, but I don’t know whether that would help you, considering shipping costs.

Paskal
    Participant

Thank you, nice but the range continues or it’s over ?

Other than the fact that they originated with a kickstarter, I have to confess ignorance .

Maybe someone knows?

Paskal
    Participant

Thanks, there is also Tradition of London, I would not have thought there was so little choice.

Perhaps it does seem surprising, these days, but remember that Colonial gaming was almost totally dominated by the Big Three — AZW, NWF, Sudan — for many years, with everything else relegated to a tiny niche. You could look through various catalogs, and find the same figure-types, over and over. Understandable, when that is what sells.

Though even with those, there were important gaps: did you want dismounted Frontier Light Horse? Convert something else. Over here in the US, one gentleman, Richard Houston, carved out a niche by, in part, creating figures and equipment not covered by the large manufacturers.

I never thought to see figures for the early South African Wars, or Maori Wars, but here they are. We’re not yet in the Golden Age of Colonials  (try browsing for companies that cover Adowa, for instance), but we’ve come a long way in the last decade or two.

Though even there, the situation is a bit tenuous: I don’t know how well the other companies are doing with Sikh Wars, but last I spoke with OG’s Russ Dunaway, they hadn’t yet broken even on their line. Given the large number of different sculpts, the (so far) limited market, and, of course,  their prices, I can’t say I’m really surprised. I’m hoping the entry of more companies into the market  will help bring on a tipping point; at least it should expose more gamers to the period.

That would be a good thing for Colonial gamers — one thing leads to another. I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but when OG brought out their Sikhs, they also announced a range for the First Afghan War. Due to limited sales for the first range, the other one never happened. But if Sikh Wars becomes a “thing”,  who knows? We could find ourselves marching on (or retreating from!) Kabul.

Paskal
    Participant

I’m going to take the complet Old Glory range to begin ,because  I like Old Glory  a lot for other periods and this range look quite complete, if it is necessary I will complete with but being careful to have compatible figurines …

I like many also the legitimate revolt of the brave cypayes …

In fact the british colonial wars before-1859 interest me …

I will play these wars with “Sebastopol, Sadowa & Sedan”…

About this if you know someone who can sell me copies of this rule and / or his book of lists of armies, I am a buyer.

Thank you

You should be pleased with the Old Glory line, although you might want to get a few sample packs to begin with, to be sure they have the look you want. With a number of different sculptors,  the results vary; with the Indian Mutiny, since you mention it, I  liked the mutineers, but was less satisfied with the British figures: the bayonets break off very easily, a perennial problem with OG, which is odd, because those on the mutineer figs don’t seem to have that problem. In fact, they are more robust in general than the British figures, which seem rather anemic in comparison. I suspect two different sculptors.

Anyway , this doesn’t seem to be the case with the Sikh Wars range. A couple of points,  though:

You should probably get a command pack or two, to see exactly what’s in them. I’ve only inspected a couple at shows, but from what I could see, it looked as if there were more “extra” type figures than the usual officer/standard-bearer/musician combination. You may need more command packs than you think, particularly if you intend to have two colours per unit.

Another point: at least in the few pics I’ve seen, none of the horses for the Gorachurra have much in the way of armor; whether this is typical of the 1840’s I can’t say.

I would welcome correction on these points from someone more knowledgeable!

Lastly, there are,unfortunately, no Zamburak camel gunners in the OG range. They were going to be included in the First Afghan War range, but as I said, that never happened.

I did see where someone used the Zamburaks from the OG 16th-17th century Persian line, with some head swaps, so that’s a possibility.

I hope you’ll give us regular updates on your progress. And pics! 

Paskal
    Participant

We will see, for Zamburak camel gunners, we must use those of wargames foundry, right? In this regard what do you think of the Wargames Foundry ranges on these two conflicts? The figures are smaller? With Wargames Foundry, there are things that Old Glory does not do and vice versa … And the small range of Tradition of London?

I will play these wars with “Sebastopol, Sadowa & Sedan”…

For the camel guns, see the Persian conversions I mentioned here:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=437882

As for size comparisons, someone else will have to say; I like to have them in hand when I do that, and I haven’t been able to do that yet. But Sysiphus in that thread seems to have seen no problem  mixing  OG and Foundry, at least in separate units.

Heh. “The Persian Conversions”: good name for a band!

Paskal
    Participant

I guess the Old Glory must be normally the biggest.

Paskal
    Participant

Here I have the 41 references of the range 25 / 28mm FIGURES> OLD GLORY 25s> The First and Second Sikh Wars + the references CMB-009: Gurkhas Charging incl. Command, CMB-010: Loyal Sepoys Advancing incl. Command, BXE-001: 6lb (Horse) Gun, BXE-002: 9lb Gun, BXE-005: 12lb Gun and  BXE-006: 18lb Gun Seat  to complete …

Well, the Old Glory bayonets do not break, but there are still some things missing in these Old Glory ranges, elephants, cannons on camelids, some types of limbers, the Afghan allies of the Sikhs … I wonder what figs will be able to marry with the Old Glory of this range.

Paskal
    Participant

For my hundreds of Old Glory figurines on the sikh wars, I just bought all the flags of The Virtual Armchair General, they are beautiful and there are many and Mr. Patrick Wilson is nice, good now how do I give the flags Sikhs to this or that unit ?

If you can’t find information elsewhere, it might be best to paint the figures, and wait for this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sikh-Wars-Source-Book-1799-1849/dp/1910294292

Andrew has been working on it for years; he’s now shooting for the end of the year.

Paskal
    Participant

Yes flags last, because this book will not even come out this year according to its author, but we can also find information, do not we ?

Paskal
    Participant

The Virtual Armchair General flags are very beautiful and do not appear in “two halves”.

The white space between each face of each flag is the “sleeve” of the flag which is always white – which I find odd – and that for all flags of all nationalities, – which I also find weird – and which must to be wrapped around the flag.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.