Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi The tales of Rhoro Tharik.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

I bought the Starport Scum beta rules, new from Nordic Weasel Games and wanted to finally give them a spin. Months ago I had painted and based individual figures for Clash on the Fringe, but have yet to play it. I have skipped those rules to try out this new set and goodness do I like them.

I will post a report here but want to go to bed right now so will just put a link to my blog introducing Rhoro and his buddies while they take their first bounty mission.

http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/starport-scum-rhoro-thariks-first-bounty.html

Thuseld
    Participant

I can’t see a button to edit my original post, so I will add some photos here.

Rhoro Tharik, in the blue armour. It is a slightly older model of the armour used by Quansec security forces, but his skills from a past in the corps more than make up for anything his suit lacks in modernity. Jarek O’Neil and Flint Church are wearing armour they have pieced together over the years. They like to get up close and personal so wanted to be less encumbered. They went for orange, although are both thinking about moving a different direction in terms of colour. (Read, I don’t like how they turned out last night and how you can’t see the flesh of their faces, but I wanted them to stand out).

Rescued from my cupboard, where it had been slightly damaged, I managed to actually use my modular starport. Storing this is difficult, and I need more sections. This is my next project.

Shotguns kick ass. Especially if given the ability to hit multiple targets.

Brawling is quite dangerous as you get no cover bonuses. You only get to roll saves for your armour, and any weapons/abilities you have that allow for extra defense roles.

The full AAR is on the blog, linked above, but I love these rules. They allowed me to tell a cool little story to introduce my guys. We will see where their adventures take them from now on.

Angel Barracks

Aces, I have read my copy but not gotten around to trying it out!

Thuseld
    Participant

The rules make for nice little skirmishes in which you can basically make it up as much as you want. The lack of any form of point costs being assigned to specific powers or abilities mean you can literally do what you want. They lend themselves very much to an almost RPG like campaign in which your squad of heroes goes up against anywhere from squads of Goons, which will be very easy, to Goons led by slightly better Goons, and even as far as soldiers made as Aces who will be actually very good. There is a lot of potential here.

It reminds me very much of Star Wars Miniatures in that there are characters with abilities which will work well together, and you will probably need a stat-card or something to help keep track of who does what. It also lacks the confines of Flying Lead, which as a list of specific abilities which all come with a points cost, so you can balance your forces out quite nicely.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Really cool, I love to see someone else giving these rules some attention, they really are great fun to play around with!

A nice little introduction, I hope to see more of Rhoro in the future!

Thuseld
    Participant

They need to actually escape the Orbital Platform first. That will be happening next…If they can make it past the guards.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I imagine it will be very interesting in any case ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thuseld
    Participant

I am thinking of putting a few more heavy hitting characters in the station guards, a couple of aces just to make it more interesting. I don’t want my main guys to die, but it would be interesting to see how they go up against a better team of guards.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Experimenting is the best way to find the balance in story-driven scenarios I’ve found.

As a solo player you also have the luxury of deus ex machina when things goes too far either way ๐Ÿ™‚

Thuseld
    Participant

“Anything you need to tell me can wait until we get off this station!”

Those were the words said by Rhoro to Lem, the “bounty” who turned out to actually be a Collective sniper in the process of defecting. After a slightly messier bounty collection than anticipated, the station was on high alert and the remaining Quansec security team had gathered to bar the airlock and force Rhoro and team to give up arms. If bounty hunters were being sent to collect this prisoner, then he must be worth something.

Another craft has docked. Four men in armour similar to Lem disembark. Armed to the teeth, they intend to find their lost brother and bring him home to repent and make amends for his sins. Desertion was one of the greatest sins, an affront to the gods.

Read the full battle here: http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/starport-scum-escape.html I hope you enjoy it.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

A great read! These guys remind me of a mix between firefly and the expanse, better than good in my book ๐Ÿ™‚

Thuseld
    Participant

Speaking of Firefly, I just ordered some miniatures from AB that I feel could be used to create a crew similar to that of Serenity. But then they don’t have the benefit of obvious body armour. The more and more I think about and plan Rhoro’s story, I do feel like my universe is going to be like the Firefly universe, but not quite as Cowboy as that.

Thuseld
    Participant

Meehua Colony. Helveka III.

In the initial excitement to expand the unknown, some planets were colonized that, as time went on, it became clear had little to no economic value. Even planets such as Helveka III, planets fairly similar to Earth in it’s heyday, that would usually be a fantastic place to begin a colony, fell by the wayside. The Helveka system is too far out of the way to be part of a major trade route, and its natural resources are are too niche to support large scale colonization. In addition to these problems, the system lies near to the systems of the Collective, who attract the attention of the UCS, and also cause problems themselves. The only reason Quansec maintains a presence in this system is because of the gas giant Helveka V, and the research and development opportunities to be found.

Meehua Colony. Abandoned 50 years ago, it still stands…mostly. The occasional ship crew will stop here for a while, just to be planetside for a time, but they always move on in search of actual profit making ventures.

Lem, Rhoro, Jarek and Flint advance up into the settlement. This is where Lem believes his wife is being held by goodness knows who. From the west, what looks like Quansec security operatives approach, their intentions unknown. Signs of life and occupancy exist in the village.

Full AAR to be read here: http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/tales-of-rhoro-tharik-meehua-colony.html

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Yet another thrilling episode of Rhoro’s adventure ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope Jarek makes it..

Thuseld
    Participant

Jarek is left to rest with one of the Quansec guards in one of the Meehua colony buildings while the other s carry on.

Here are some pictures of the latest outing, with a narrative on my blog. I want the pictures up, but am shattered from a long day so can’t do a lot more than that.

http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/tales-of-rhoro-tharik-part-4-taking-out.html

Thuseld
    Participant

Having allowed the gang members to go in the Meehua Colony compound Rhoro and team decided to find as much out as they could about who the red armoured gang are. Risking detection, the Quansec team access their database, only to discover exactly who they are.

“I cannot believe we met The Buzzard and let him go” sulks Lem, thinking about what fate has befallen his family.
    “You can’t dwell on that. Do we know where their main base of operations is? Are they a local gang, or do they spread across the systems?” asks Rhoro.
    “According to our data, they have set up their main base of operations here on Helveka III, but do have interstellar reach. In all liklihood, they will have set themselves up in either the Capital, or one of the actual mining operations” explains the Quansec team.
    “We need to investigate any of the mines that have activity and go in. A mine seems like a good place to hide slaves” notes Flint.

After searching mining complexes one comes up with strange activity. Red armoured figures are seen. Rhoro and team advance, without support from the Quansec team.

For this game I came up with a random enemy generator. I placed D6 around the board. If a hero comes within 6 inches of one, then 1D6 is rolled. On a 5/6 enemies appear and 1D2 determines whether it is one or two grunts.

The complex. Rhoro and team are in the bottom right.

Cautiously the team advance. Past the trees to the outskirts of the mining complex. It looks like this place has been abandoned for a while as there are trees growing out through the concrete.

Passing the small landing platforms a couple of sentries reveal themselves. It was Flint’s appearance that made them decide to come out. They open fire to little effect. Flint and Rhoro spin around to see where the fire is coming from, unable to pinpoint a source!

Lem slowly approaches and lays down fire on the sentries, sending one scurrying for cover. That should help the others he thinks to himself.

Flint charges up to the mine entrance, leaving Lem to cover Rhoro, and hoping to deal the gang a significant morale blow. If they see it is too late, surely…

It is too late for someone. The Buzzard appears, and with his Gallant Rifle, fires off at the wounded Rhoro, who goes silent on the comm. There is no time to worry about him for Flint as he has advanced too far and needs to protect himself! Where has Lem gone?

Flint skirts around the edge of the complex, firing behind himself as he goes. He manages to kill and pin another guard, but takes fire himself. Ducking behind the complex he finds that there are no more guards to fire at him. Lem has taken the others out, and The Buzzard has disappeared…along with Rhoro.

More guards appear as Lem and Flint approach the entrance to the mine. It is time to find Lem’s family…and uncover where Rhoro was taken.

More photos and action over at the blog: http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/starport-scum-tales-of-rhoro-tharik.html

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Thuseld.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mike.
    Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

A great episode, can’t wait for the next one!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.