Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations The Thousand Years’ War

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Mr. Average
    Participant

In one of my odd moments (few and far between these days) I came back to a pile of 3mm scale Retro-Tanks left unfinished at the end of the summer, and wondered what to do with them. In a moment of aberration, I thought “The Hundred Years’ War, of course.”

I then dug out some other bits and pieces to see what might come of it – in particular some very medieval-looking Mechs from Onslaught Miniatures. So here’s my thought: English vs. French, battling over Aquitaine and Picardie and the succession to the French throne, with the kingdoms’ clash entering its thousandth year.

Both sides have tanks and armored infantry, and both will have to have some kind of super-units, superheavy tanks on one side, Mechanical “knights” on the other.  So here’s a question: who gets the Mechs? France or Britain? That is, are they to be Knights or Chevaliers?

Photos will follow when available. Rules I have fixated upon are Quantum Legions, from MJ12. Thoughts or advice?

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

…Difficult question.

HYW French (at least at the beginning) believed in heavy knights above everything else. That could give preference to France for the Mechs.

Howewer, if I’m not mistaken, most Mechs look like large knights on foot, not like cavalry.

Since the early 20th century the French Army considers tank regiments as inheritors of the traditions of old cavalry regiments (and it’s still officially called “arme blindée cavalerie”). So you could as well say that superheavy tanks are descended of HYW mounted knights….

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://argad.forumculture.net/

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah, I have had the same thoughts. On balance I think the French will get the Mechs though, since the British seem more like a tank-oriented faction. Besides, blue and gold Mechs bearing the Fleur-de-Lis appeal to me too much.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

That’s what I love about 3mm: if you get a wild hair up your ass and want to do a crazy project, it is totally possible!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Thomaston
    Participant

I agree with mechs/knights for French and tanks for british.

Life's too long.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Right? The British invented the tank after all. I’m eyeballing some of those Superheavies from the Vanguard range as British Mobile Fortresses, and the O8 “retro” tanks are all brits as well. The French have tanks but mostly they’re R35 and B2-Bis, their main battle line will be various “Chevaliers de Fer” from the Onslaught Line.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

After 1,000 years though you’d think they’d have an almost homogeneous setup between the 2 sides, as each new thing tried would eventually be countered and absorbed into the other sides tactics if it’s worthwhile.  So they both could have mechs and big tanks!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

Maybe, maybe not. It would depend on which edition of the comic book you’re reading! 😉

But true in a sense, and of course Vanguard makes 3mm Stalkers that would be a pretty competent battle line for the Knights of St. Henry. Or perhaps even a third faction: maybe the Burgundians are making trouble as well!

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

blue and gold Mechs bearing the Fleur-de-Lis appeal to me too much.

And each of them also bearing the arms of an old French barony or province, each its own (or perhaps on a back banner).

maybe the Burgundians are making trouble as well!

Yes there were other countries which were independant then, nobody knows what would have become of them.

One mission of the Burgundian side would be, of course, to capture a 3mm Joan of Arc figure to sell her to the English to burn her on a heap of old tyres.

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

In case you’re not aware of them, GZG’s “2mm Germy’s Micro Minis” range might be useful for your project:

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/2mm-germy-s-micro-minis.html?page=all

Mr. Average
    Participant

Have them, love them! A touch “anime” for this project but definitely moving in the right direction! The smaller GZG Mechs might be good for troops from the Holy Roman Empire! With Panzers, naturally!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Also, Patrice, my thought exactly! My first Chevalier de Fer is for the Duc d’Anjou!

Thomaston
    Participant

British did invent the tank but the French came up with the final turret & hull form in the FT-17. I figured French should get mechas because Brits will have to load their stuff into ships to go fight so it’ll be limited to more compact equipments while French are on the main land where there might be a reason for mechs.

Life's too long.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Except for the English positions in Aquitaine and Calais, you’d be right. The main war industry would be in the British Isles though. The English can drive their Land Fortresses right under the Manche, but otherwise have to cart their equipment over to Normandy and Bordeaux to get it in the field.

Now if they were to ally with some other Continental Power, say the Holy Roman Empire or Savoy, well, all bets would be off!

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

Now if they were to ally with some other Continental Power

That’s when a War of the Breton Succession enters the game and the English get allies in Brittany…

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Germy’s

Whatever happened to that guy?  he was quite prolific then just up and vanished…

And each of them also bearing the arms of an old French barony or province, each its own (or perhaps on a back banner).

Yes, THIS for sure!  Gotta carry on that Noble tradition (reminds me of the Epic scale Knight Houses, really liked them even though they didn’t fit into 40k at all)

Mr. Average
    Participant

Incidentally, anyone know where I could get some French heraldic decals made?

Mr. Average
    Participant

The Duke of Lancaster is mustering his forces for an attack on Troyes early in the New Year.  Just arrived from Coventry are three brand new Mark XXII Superheavy Tanks and a fully-crewed Traction Fortress, to supplement his already formidable force of cavalry and men-at-arms.  The main force will be in Calais by the Epiphany, and the heavier troops ready for an attack by Candlemas Eve.  Little do they know that they are to be met by a powerful force of French Cavaliers and Imperial Ritters in new Panzer-VIII Heavy Tanks.  It will not be a walk-over by any stretch!

May victory go to the Just!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Being the nutcase that I am I’m upgunning some already-shooty Traction Fortresses.  Bits from other Vanguard tanks, Onslaught, and from Microworld 3mm support vehicles.  If you’re going to try to invade Burgundy, do it in style!  There’s something very satisfying about a project mixing so many different lines at once!

Too far?  Maybe…

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

Too far?  Maybe…

… but very, very pleasing to the eye…

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Geof Downton Geof Downton.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Mr. Average
    Participant

Thanks! The way I see it, if my Techno-Medieval English are going to go the trouble of building a 10,000 ton Traction Fortress, it ought to positively bristle with weapons.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Indeed, if it’s going to be a big target, may as well make it one that can dish-out as well as receive!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Some conventional Men-At-Arms for the Lancastrian faction of the English forces.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looking good!  Each base equals a unit?  Or part of a unit?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Each base is a unit. I’m still aiming at either Quantum Legions or FWC, so the basing will work for either. More or less. In the end maybe I’ll write my own rules specifically for 3mm scale mass battles.  Who knows? Basically I did what looked cool and will try to justify it later.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Basically I did what looked cool

Heck ya you did.  I really do like them.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.