Home Forums Modern The Universal Infantry Battalion

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rob young
    Participant

It isn’t often I feel it’s worthwhile to post an article from the internet, but this one on possible future structures of the British army seems to be very useful – army list providers please note!:

The Universal Infantry Battalion

Rob Young

deephorse
    Participant

Thanks for this.  The content looks familiar, and seeing that the copyright was August 2019 I might well have seen it before.  It all seems very sensible and well thought out.  Consequently, the chances of it happening must be zero.  “We’ll see what happens”, to quote someone.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Gaz045
    Participant

Interesting read, makes far too much sense and smacks of far to much logic for it filter through the labryntine MoD and the Regimental system intact…….. “But we’ve always been a …….. ( fill gap accordingly) battalion and we won’t change! “

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

John D Salt
    Participant

It all seems very sensible and well thought out. Consequently, the chances of it happening must be zero.

Indeed. Nick Drummond is a very sensible chap, and knows what he’s talking about when it comes to mechanized infantry.

For my taste I’d rather have just one calibre of small-arms ammunition in the platoon, and I think DMRs are an admission either that ordinary soldiers can’t shoot, or that the platoon has become incapable of fire and movement and instead engages in long-range bickering, but then I am nothing if not unfashionable. I certainly agree on the desirability of a light mortar, and wonder why we don’t buy the French FLY-K jobbie.

The chances of it happening do indeed appear to be zero, the Army having made the harmfully stupid decision to strip the infantry section of its LMG for the first time in a hundred years. The USMC is committed to the same foolishness, but our own Marines do not seem to be convinced. I have yet to hear of any other nation doing so.

All the best,

John.

Thomaston
    Participant

My initial thought was, it’s a little flawed. Looking it from a loight infantry point of view, they’ll have all thr warm bodies available to fight while everyone else is does two to stay with the vehicle. Light infantry would then need to train differently and have different SOP than all other battalions. Then I rememebered its assumed light infantry will also be mounted on vehicles. It’s a good article, makes me think about a few things. Seems to lean towards the US model though.

So having thought about all that the next step and my question is, why not just have llight infantry battalions and assign vehicles as needed to make it armored, mechanized, etc? They’d all train and operate the same and would be a Uber Universal Battalion or Uiversal Battalion + (vehicles). The one flaw with this idea is the company level heavy weapons the article assumed to be vehicle mounted would be lost to the basic company. On the other hand it the Paras wouldn’t ahve access to those anyway if they made a jump. Actually this sounds like the USMC method, of infantry Battalions with attached vehicles. Damit, can’t think of anything original anymore!

“The chances of it happening do indeed appear to be zero, the Army having made the harmfully stupid decision to strip the infantry section of its LMG for the first time in a hundred years.”
    So, no more LMG camp at depot?

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

John D Salt
    Participant

So, no more LMG camp at depot?

It’s hard to tell exactly what the Army is up to, but the Battle Order web site https://www.battleorder.org/british-rifle-platoon-2019 seems to think that light (i.e. foot-slogging) infantry will still have at least the option of a GPMG in each section. Armoured infantry seem to be expected to rely on their IFV for fire support. The idea from a few years back of a platoon weapons group, with maybe a GPMG and a light mortar, seems to have disappeared. Minimi has vanished entirely; colour me dubious about the claimed discovery that it was wildly inaccurate, and only had an effective range of 250 metres, both facts that 70+ other armies seem to have failed to notice for the 45 years or so Minimi has been in service.

I expect we’ll have to wait for another war for the accuracy fetishists to have the foolishness of their beliefs demonstrated to them. Meanwhile, I point out that all the weapons in the golden haze of mythology surrounding the British infantry’s skill-at-arms, the Welsh longbow, Brown Bess, and the SMLE, have been noted for their rate of fire, not their high precision.

All the best,

John.

Thomaston
    Participant

“Minimi has vanished entirely; colour me dubious about the claimed discovery that it was wildly inaccurate, and only had an effective range of 250 metres, both facts that 70+ other armies seem to have failed to notice for the 45 years or so Minimi has been in service.”

There’s that saying, armies are always training for the previous war. Somehow I doube the next war will be another mountainous terrain and long range shooting.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

deephorse
    Participant

Meanwhile, I point out that all the weapons in the golden haze of mythology surrounding the British infantry’s skill-at-arms, the Welsh longbow, Brown Bess, and the SMLE, have been noted for their rate of fire, not their high precision. All the best, John.

Having somehow managed to miss a Figure 11 target at 100m range with the SLR I can vouch for that lack of precision.  Only the once mind!

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

grizzlymc
    Participant

It seems odd to get rid of the LSW, it was meant to facilitate maneuver by keeping heads down, not act as a sniper rifle.  I’d have thought that a battery of 3  GPMG at company would be the best approach for thickening fire, handed out where needed or maintained as a company fire base, whether mobile or on tripods.\

Of course, there are intermediate calibres.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.