Home Forums WWII 'The Waist-High Cornfield' – 46 RMCommando and the Battle of Rots 1944

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve recently received a copy of ‘The Waist-High Cornfield: The story of the 46 Royal Marine Commando and the Battle for Rots in Normandy’ by Keith Taylor today and WOW!  What a book!  It’s instantly become one of my favourite Normandy books and reminds me very much of the equally-excellent ‘Breaking The Panzers’ by Kevin Baverstock.

352 A4 pages – full colour throughout, is beautifully bound in hardback and is a satisfyingly weighty tome!  £46.50 including p&p.

Like ‘Breaking The Panzers’, ‘The Waist-High Cornfield’ is written as a homage by a son to his veteran father, who fought in a key Normandy battle.  Similarly, the book covers the formation of the unit, the initial training and build-up over several years to that single day of battle.  Again, like ‘Breaking The Panzers’, the production quality is absolutely stunning and makes good use of period photos, documents and detailed aerial recce photos in lieu of tactical maps.

Taylor weaves in a great many accounts from the other veterans of 46 RM Commando, as well as veterans from the 12th SS ‘Hitlerjuegend’ Panzer Division and the Canadian Fort Garry Horse Armoured Regiment, as well as the local inhabitants of Rots and the surrounding farms and villages.  He’s also done some excellent battlefield-detective work in creating some magnificent then-and-now shots, using a famous sequence of 12th SS photos, as well as some less well-known Allied photos.

Sadly, this magnificent book will only see very limited distribution, as no major publisher was interested and it was privately published by Keith Taylor himself (to an incredibly high standard), with only a few hundred copies being printed.  I understand that there is a second book in the pipeline, covering the rest of 46 RM Commando’s war.

Drop Keith an e-mail at  [email protected] for the ordering details.

Here are some exerpts.  The ‘blended’ then & now shots are exceptionally well done – an example being the last picture here:

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Participant

Dammit, more expense.

All the best,

John.

Participant

That looks brilliant.

L

Participant

I’ve edited the above: There’s no point PMing me, as I can’t access my PMs.

I’ve therefore added Keith Taylor’s e-mail address – he’s already posted this address in public on a few forums as the contact address for ordering the book, so it’s ok.

Participant

Ta for that. I read The Battle for Antwerp ( J.L Moulton)a little while back, not as beautifully produced but chock full of interesting info.
    The sequal to the above should make a really good addition.

All I have to do is persuade myself to spend the money and then decide which books gotta go to make room for it, I have to run a one in one out policy these days book wise. 🙁

L

Participant

I wish I’d never seen this because I have to buy a copy now!

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

That looks incredible.  Not an area of WW2 that I have much knowledge of, but dang that book looks more than worthwhile.  I do believe I will be ordering one next week!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

My copy arrived yesterday and I can only echo R Mark’s comments.  A magnificent book.

Participant

I got this book for a friend on the recommendations here and he was absolutely delighted with it – many thanks.

Participant

Many thanks for the hat tip – will definitily be ordering a copy

Participant

Brilliant!  The boys actually wargamed it at Bovington back in the summer, using my old scenario, amended with info from the book.  Typically, I had to go to a wedding that weekend… 🙁

Participant

Choice between a wargame and a wedding and you chose the WEDDING? What were you thinking?

Participant

Choice between a wargame and a wedding and you chose the WEDDING? What were you thinking?

I wouldn’t have fingers with which to type this if I hadn’t gone… 🙁

Participant

Just to update the above, the sequel to this utterly superb book, entitled ’46 Royal Marine Commando: Broken Bridges – Rivers To Cross (from Normandy to the German Baltic Coast)’ has now been published on a VERY limited print run and is available from the author for £55, including postage.

Participant

Bought it.

Participant

Bought it.

Excellent! 🙂

Participant

Well I already had volume 1.  And I was sent such a nice email pointing out how incomplete my life would be without #2 that I just had to get it.

But seriously, they are wonderful books, and valued additions to my library.

Participant

Thanks so much for recommending these book!  Not a lot out there on the battle for Rots and the Aller ops in Germany.  If you are a wargamer that appreciates tactical battles, these are fantastic.

Mark

Participant

I too bought both publications and had a nice correspondence with the author.  They really are fantastic books!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.