Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming The Witcher

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Having just watched the show twice, the second time to understand it, and having started the books…

Has anyone any feedback on the video game (will be playing on xbone)

The first one isn’t that good, it has some good parts but the  combat is iffy. The second one is really good,(my favourite in the series) a very good RPG, you choices have consequences,  good dialog and characters. Good combat.  Feels much like the original Dragon age origins in style.

The 3rd one is in many ways fantastic.  While the 2nd game has 3 main areas that are separate. In the 3rd you have 1 huge area,  you can travel freely too and a second rather big area you can get to later.

It’s a typical open world RPG, random places of monsters of humans to fight. But has a very good and very long main quest,  that has many different endings.  In fact it’s just too much for me, the second game is 20-25 hours long,  the 3rd is like 60-120 hours long, there’s like 20 hours of dialogue/cinematic in the game.

It’s a very good game, but it’s big, so much to do. And with the two expansions that are very good(blood and wine is on of the best expansions made in any game) and like 30 more hours of gameplay.

They’ve captured Geralt real well in the games. When  I read the book, I heard Geralt’s voice in my head from the game.

Participant

I’ve not played Witcher 2, but Witcher 3 was fabulous, racked up 180  hours on it, but I’m something of a completionist and like to do every single side mission. The TV series was good as it gave me some back story on the characters, but I felt I’d got to know them pretty well anyway.

The Baltic feel of the Witcher universe is quite unusual, compared to the usual cod medieval setting for lots of these things. Unlike a lot of RPGs, you can’t just slaughter your way to levelling up, well you can, but it will take forever and cost a fortune in weapon and armour repairs.

As noted above, your choices have genuine and sometimes far reaching consequences.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Yes,  I the setting and art style is another great part both the 2nd and 3rd game clearly has amor/technology level of late medieval. Very much 1480s-1500 in style. And nilfguard obviously is just the HRE by another name(though seems to be far more efficient and competent then the HRE ever was.)

Keymaster

Participant

And thus, he went down the rabbit hole, hopefully to return.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Yes, I the setting and art style is another great part both the 2nd and 3rd game clearly has amor/technology level of late medieval. Very much 1480s-1500 in style. And nilfguard obviously is just the HRE by another name(though seems to be far more efficient and competent then the HRE ever was.)

I rather thought Nilfgard was Russia, from a Finnish perspective.

Yes, I the setting and art style is another great part both the 2nd and 3rd game clearly has amor/technology level of late medieval. Very much 1480s-1500 in style. And nilfguard obviously is just the HRE by another name(though seems to be far more efficient and competent then the HRE ever was.)

Russia wasn’t a power in the late middle ages. In the games they even give nilfguard very German/austrian accents.

Keymaster

And thus, he went down the rabbit hole, hopefully to return.

Ha!

Why Finnish? Just wondering, as a Finn, if The Witcher has some Finnish connection I didn’t know about. The books are originally from Poland AFAIK.

As for the games and Netflix series, I bought The Witcher 3 on sale a while ago, but haven’t gotten around to it yet because of Skyrim. I do keep hearing that The Witcher 3 is the more interesting and vibrant of those two games, though. Season 1 of the Netflix series was decent (and I appreciate any fantasy series with a high production budget) but the setting and story didn’t quite click for me. The setting felt a bit inconsistent and the story struck me as a bit too cheap and pandering of a power fantasy for frustrated men.

The series did a bad job to introduce you to the universe,  the first season was based on the 2 short story collections.

Some of the best short stories were left out.

The proper books paint a much richer and intresting picture. The racism against none humans and the fact it ends in a rebellion, but there are far more shades of grey ect.

The games are far better in showing this then the series have been so far. The beastiery is also very interesting.  Like there are several species of vampire   most are just monsters,  only the highest form actually looks like humans.

The third game has some great DLC’s, pretty cheap and lots of content.

Participant

” In fact it’s just too much for me, the second game is 20-25 hours long,  the 3rd is like 60-120 hours long, there’s like 20 hours of dialogue/cinematic in the game.”

Yes. I’m just replaying Mass Effect 2 and I do love how those old style RPGs are just so much more focussed and fast moving. Stuff happens! The dialogue is quick!

Fallout IV and Witcher 3 each took a year of my life, whereas I managed to play Knights of the Old Republic all the way through eight times with varying combinations of character classes, alignment and gender (I never mastered the Jedi sgunslinger though, give me a Jedi Consular, a lightsaber and force lightning any time).

I did make a start on the Witcher 3 DLC, but in the end I decided that life is too short.

” In fact it’s just too much for me, the second game is 20-25 hours long, the 3rd is like 60-120 hours long, there’s like 20 hours of dialogue/cinematic in the game.”

Yes. I’m just replaying Mass Effect 2 and I do love how those old style RPGs are just so much more focussed and fast moving. Stuff happens! The dialogue is quick! Fallout IV and Witcher 3 each took a year of my life, whereas I managed to play Knights of the Old Republic all the way through eight times with varying combinations of character classes, alignment and gender (I never mastered the Jedi sgunslinger though, give me a Jedi Consular, a lightsaber and force lightning any time). I did make a start on the Witcher 3 DLC, but in the end I decided that life is too short.

KOTOR is definitely one of the best RPGs made. Man the first time the big reveal happened,  holy crap that was exiting.  Sadly I just can’t get it to work on my new systems,  there are rumours of a remake.

KOTR was the best game, I have long awaited a newer version of it – the online one did not cut the mustard for me. Hopefully, with the Mandalorian out it will generate more interest.

Participant

Agreed re KOTOR. There aren’t many games that have that ‘well blow me down’ moment. There have been rumours of a remaster for years, but I can’t see it happening. At least it is apparently compatible with my Xbox One, so when I’ve finished ME2 I might just have to fire it up again…

Participant

Somewhat related but by coincidence, I actually live on Witcher Mountain. Several  gaming friends and my grown children have gotten a kick out of that .

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.