Home Forums Terrain and Scenery The Zen of Split Rail Fences.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m building a few yards of 15 mm split rail fences for AWI ACW to play Rebels and Patriots. I’ve got a system down using 2 1/2 inch sticks and wood glue, laying then out on wax-paper. I knocked out 4 feet this afternoon. I should be painting 15 15mm Rebel Cav but I’m putting that off, while I make fences.

My group are also working on building the 9000 kilometres or so of the various fences you evidently need to game the ACW.

I have indicated this will not be my project but that they have my full support (NB full support short of doing anything).

donald

Participant

Sounds like a productive time had, K.  I hope you’ve been successfully dodging those tornadoes, and continue to do so!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I’d be interested to hear a description of the system. I have loads to do for the AWI.

--An occasional wargames blog: http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/ --

Participant

Thanks, guys. Doug, I use 2 1/2 inch sticks that come in a pack of 1000 at Walmart ( think match sticks) I lay out an angled line and use wood glue to build the fence up rail by rail.  I’m doing it on a sheet of wax paper so they can be pried off when the glue has dried. I’ll use some Testors Gull Gray spray paint to give them a weathered wood look. Takes me about 5 minutes to do 12 inches of fence.

Tornadoes have gone north or south of us so far. The last one missed us by 3 miles.

Participant

9 feet of fences built, another 9 feet to go.

Participant

It’s more than 9 feet, just measured them and they are 15 inches long not 12 inches. Oops.

Participant

Very industrious KB and I like your method.  How do you intend storing them when you’ve finished?

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

I’ll store them on top of a bookcase as they are fragile-ish.  My friend Kenneth is going to take over painting my ACW Cav so I hope to get a game in by mid-June.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.