Home Forums General General Things you will not game

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I don’t game Nappy’s mostly because I don’t want to paint them.

Participant

Here’s a thing I wouldn’t game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1993417010/shanty-town-the-kickstarter-project

I live across the way from a large shantytown. The thought of what high powered bullets do in such a space and my neighbors in it….

No problems with sci-fi shantytowns, however.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

For me it depends on who is running the game. I have no interest in running most post WWI genres. This is mostly an ethical choice for me. I’ve known veterans of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, and just about every modern conflict the US has been engaged in. It feels disrespectful to me because if I run a game, I’m hoping to provide a light hearted, fun experience for the players. Most likely, that will not correspond with most combat veterans’ experiences and I fear making light of what may have been a very traumatic period of their lives. Not all, but some.

In addition, in the last century our combat technology has become so much more destructive I feel that we–as a species–must curb our violent instincts or we may destroy our societies. There’s just a level of discomfort there that prevents me from treating modern warfare in a light hearted manner.

I will play in such a game if I know that the other players will treat the subject with a certain respect for the past. And, I’m more likely to join in if the game focuses more on planes, ships or armor, e.g., it’s slightly removed from the human experience.

Nevertheless, this hesitancy will occasionally intrude into periods in which I do have a real interest. For example, I recently saw pictures of an ACW game in which figures representing the KKK were being used as sort of a novelty item. I would not play in a game like that if I knew that was going to happen. I remember the KKK being active when I was a child. I’m not sure I’d walk away from the game if I was already playing and it came as a surprise, but I am sure I’d not a play game run by that person again. Our sense of good taste and respect of the past are just too far apart.

As I’ve said in another thread, call me a snob!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

I’m happy to play games set in any period or genre.

There are some aspects of war than I am not willing to game regardless of the period or genre.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.