Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Third Napoleonic Game with One Hour Wargames

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Fresh off a French victory, the tables are turned, with the Allies fighting to hold a pair of fortified hamlets against the French onslaught, trying to buy time for their forces to regroup and reorganize. The French force arrayed against them is powerful indeed, but time is not on their side, and the battle-space too narrow for the entire weight of the French hammer to be brought to bear at once. The British and their Dutch allies settle in to receive the finest France has to offer. The scenario is “Fortified Defense,” with the Brits and Dutch trying to hold at least one village (of two) for 15 turns. Both sides start with six units, but at any point in the game the French commander can remove all current units on the board and start with six fresh ones, the idea being the first wave has broken itself and falls back, and the second wave comes in to continue the fight. No sweat, right?

Overview of map, north is up. The British will start anywhere on the map north of bottom edge of the right-hand forest, with infantry brigades in the two fortified hamlets: at left is Hugemont, at center top-right is La Hay Suisse. Fifteen turns for two waves of Frenchmen to come on the bottom of the table, move up, and evict the Brits and Dutch from both villages. Keep in mind that all hits on the infantry units in the villages will be halved, making them difficult to remove.

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/06/third-napoleonic-game-with-one-hour.html

Wow, what a fight! So damn close; come to think of it, this is the first game that time has actually played a part in. Of course I was just on the wrong side of it. The boy did very well, whereas me, I can think of quite a few tactical mistakes I made. I’m getting tired of the boy kickin’ my ass…

V/R,
    Jack

Rod RobertsonRod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

– Nuff said.

Rod Robertson.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Huzzah for the Boy !!!!

General SladeGeneral Slade
    Participant

Hi Jack,

I have really enjoyed your battle reports and they have inspired me to buy Neil Thomas’s book.  The simplicity of the rules is certainly refreshing and the scenarios all look interesting.  I also like the author’s enthusiastic prose.  He makes you want to get your troops out and start playing straight away.

Best wishes

Stephen

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod – What is that, the constipated emoji? 😉

Kyote – Traitor!  He doesn’t even like you, and now I’m starting not to 😉

General Slade – Well thank you Sir, it’s very kind of you to say that.  I often draw inspiration and motivation from fellow gamers, it’s great to hear I might have helped someone else out a bit.  Please post here to let us know how you get on with the rules.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Just Jack, you need to buy the Boy some Cowboy Boots !!!

Eric HendersonEric Henderson
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this! I love the clean, simple look of the battlefield. I am a big fan of Neil Thomas and his rules although the  scenarios in One hour Wargames can be used with any rules. I am trying to think of a mechanism for linking the scenarios so that the result of one leads to another – rather like one of the fighting fantasy paperbacks!

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote – No, he’s my son, not a hillbilly 😉

Eric – Thanks for commenting!  And I’ve been giving some thought to that very subject myself; i.e., start with a meeting engagement, with a major victory leading to ‘x,’ a minor victory leading to ‘y,’ or a draw leading to ‘z.’  Someone had done a great spreadsheet like that for a Blitzkrieg Commander campaign years ago, I wonder if I still have it.  Might be easy to translate into the OHW scenarios.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.