Home Forums General General This week I ar mostly been planning…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

More 10mm WFB 3rd edition and starting to make ground on a sort of miniheim thing.
    Mordhiem lite but with the 10mm models.

What are you all doing at the moment?

Participant

Painting 20mm SYW plastic figures, painting 30mm SYW Plastic and painting WAS / SYW 28mm metal and some terrain construction.

Participant

Ion Age, in 15mm and 32mm.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Some additions to my 6mm Crimean armies to be used with BBB rules. Sardinians, Russian sailors & a few extras for the British & Turks.

Participant

Trying to assemble the Aliens from ‘Aliens, Another Glorious Day in the Corps’.

They are nice sculpts, but a total pain to assemble.  The Colonial Marines go together easily.  Plenty of surface area on the contact patch for gluing, and a large sturdy pin under one foot for inserting into their base.  Well designed.

The Aliens, on the other hand, seem to have been designed by someone else, that someone having no appreciation of how plastic and glue work.  The sculpts show the Aliens running, for the most part, and consequently, like many running animals, they are up on their toes.  The problem is that the toes are moulded on the base, and the figure has the smallest of feet remaining to glue to these toes.  Almost no contact patch for the glue to work on.

Because of the relative weight of the figure and the base, you can’t just apply the glue and leave it to set.  No, the figure and base have to be supported in the correct position for as long as the glue takes to set.  This, because of the slightly soft plastic used, is about two minutes or so.  Tedious.  And because I bought extra sets of them, I have about 50 of these monsters to do.

And the tails!  Don’t get me started on the tails.

I have around 60 years of experience in assembling plastic kits.  These Aliens are about the worst I have encountered.  Right up there with Military Wheels’ 1/72 WWII VW Ambulance.  I hope that the game is worth it in the end.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

This week I ar mostly been planning…

…to (finally) complete the forces for a Battle of the Bulge mini-campaign that has gone through many changes/evolutions in scope/scale/rules since winter began last November.

In an hour or so the temperature outside will (I think…hope?) rise and no longer be below zero(F) until next winter.  Soon the daytime highs will regularly be above freezing, the snow will melt, and my butterfly-interest will flit to something else to reflect the changing season, so I figure this is the campaign’s last chance to get on the table.

Deephorse: As a similarly-aged kit-builder, I wish you the best of luck/patience!

Participant

Thanks Don.  My patience has worn thin, and I can only do four figures a day before I get fed up with them!

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

I’m STILL trying to settle on a project, in the mean time I’ve painted a few Copplestone Picts and a giant.

Keymaster

ooooh pics?

Participant

I just wrapped up painting some new releases that I need to take pics of, also need to finish painting some 6mm Ma.K figures for a game this weekend (5th battle in the campaign, will start posting on that soon).  I think I can also finish up a trio of 1/48 scale armored troopers for a VOTOMs campaign that will be happening soon.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Initially I had some great plans two weeks ago, as I was forced into isolation as my oldest son came down with Covid.  Paid holiday I figured; going to get some painting done!

Naturally I contracted it (as did everyone in my house) so painting flagged for a bit.  But after a couple miserable days, I was back on track and finished up a WW1 Russian army.

I’ve got to back to work tomorrow, but right now, I’m continuing onwards into some Bolshevik troops!  The plan is to add some command stands with identifiable Red or White flags to the existing Russian troops, plus a few obviously Red or White Regiments, and some foreign intervention British and I can play some RCW.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.