Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Thomaston's random project

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

I know better than you’re lazy, I just use that line on anyone that hasn’t dedicated all of their non-work/non-life support time to wargaming 😉
    And what do you mean it’s too cold to sculpt?  You’re not homeless, are you? 😉

Regarding reloading, I gotcha, and I could go either way.  Split the distance: have a bad roll or a random event simulate a stoppage or running out of ammo at an inopportune time.  I kinda like the idea, because why else would your character pull his pistol in a game?  Unless you use the pistol pose as a WIA marker, signaling he’s been it but is still in the fight, just at a reduced capacity.

Besides, having bad guys run out of ammo and get whacked while you’re own guys never run out of ammo is bad form 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

You’re not homeless, are you?

That makes a lot of sense. The cold affecting my sculpting, my obsession with running 6 minute mile (so I can out run the police), my minis being tiny and travel size, and my characters mostly bing nomadic anti-authority individuals.

Tired is enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

More sculpts.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Looking good! For me civies are a must for just about any game.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

Not 6mm but it’s a random project.

The greater good comes in small package. WIP

Tired is enough.

Participant

That’s very interesting!  Doesn’t really look Tau-ish to me (too crude/low tech), but I do really like it.  How did you do the grates on the floor?

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ve never liked the Tau vehicles, I don’t even like their helmets. Eversince they were released, my head canon of them had been outside the 40k universe, to me they haven’t gone to space yet, they’re in a post apocalypse phase after a devastating civil war, think, Tauwilight 2000.

The grates are just copies of the one on the universal carrier.

Edit:
    Also the story is this is a civilian vehicle of one of the survivor/scavengers.

Tired is enough.

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I think it’s got a nice air-raft vibe to it, but I also think you should add some greeblies on the front to de-bren carrier it a bit more. The Bren Carrier is too iconic. Put something over that right front (as we look at it) panel. Something appropriately high tech. Maybe even just a bunch of scavenged junk or a dead alien beast strapped to the front hull. Or ad hoc reactive armor blocks. Or a drone port.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

I REALLY like the rivets on the main unit. It looks like he found a working grav chassis and then built the superstructure in his garage out of whatever was lying about. What did you use for the grav plates?

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I echo everything Thaddeus said.

It’s reassuring to hear I’m not the only one that has an issue with the Tau in a 40K context. I also felt, from the moment they were released, that they don’t belong in the 40K universe. In my headcanon I prefer to leave them out, or to reimagine them as a less important regional power with somewhat gribblier technology that better suits the overall 40K aesthetic (you know the Badger Games Drantakh figures? I imagine the Tau in a 40K context being more like that). The Kroot are perfectly welcome as they are, though 🙂

Yet I do like the Tau… just in some different universe that’s not 40K. I have my own ideas for other, non-GW figure ranges that the Tau are welcome to share one of my sci-fi universes with, including the Antares Ghar and Virai, the Hasslefree Grymn, the Pig Iron System Troopers and the Mantic Asterians.

But I digress. Great conversion job, there!

Thomaston
    Participant

@Thaddeus
    I was thinking the other day of getting rid of the rivets to make it look higher tech. Like you I kind of like how the rivets contrast with the grav plates. I wanted to square out the front of the craft to de-gren-carrier the craft but coudn’t find the right sensor to put there so far. Feels like this is going to be a long project. Maybe a Tau drone on top of the cockput as a roof.

The grav plates are from the new Space Marine hover vehicle, I got them separately from ebay. GZG also sell grav plates but they come in sizes I wasn’t sure will fit the universal carrier.

@Rhoderic
    I don’t like most of GW new stuff. Their new bigger Space Marines stuff doesn’t fit with thir background. Maybe it’s just me, I feel like Taus are too good (aesthetically and lore) to fit in that setting.

Tired is enough.

Participant

Don’t get rid of the rivets! The body of the Bren carrier is too boxy to be anything but makeshift work at this tech level, so I say own it! What’s more, when you paint it, you might want to try and accentuate the difference. Make the bottom half high-tech, but worn, while the riveted plates are full of poorly applied, scabby paint and rust.

To de-bren it, I think that all you need is something to break up the front a bit more. Right now, the first time someone looks at it, they say “Oh, bren carrier”, and then only see the greeblies. You want them to say “oh, scavenger vehicle air raft” and only notice it’s a bren carrier on the second beat. Painting will help with this, of course, but the front angular bulge of the driver’s area is just too iconic.

Participant

Also, you realize that the right side hover plates are upside down, right?

Participant

Or perhaps you haven’t yet applied another layer of grav plates to the front and left side….?

Thomaston
    Participant

“…the right side hover plates are upside down…”
    I have’t glued the little plates onto the top yet. Wanted to paint the inside before I glued it but haven’t figured how without priming it.

I could do this. Still thinking what I can put on the angled side.

Tired is enough.

Participant

I like the Tau, and am conflicted about them being in 40k.  On the one hand, I really like that they show a completely different evolution both technologically (or maybe they are closer to Pre-Imperium tech and design) and societal from the Imperium.  That’s how it should be with alien species.  My problem with them being in 40k is that they throw off the setting in a sort of way.  I can’t believe that they are wide spread and powerful enough to fend off a crusade against them, nor that they haven’t been somewhat contaminated by both chaos nor contact with the Imperium.  I hate that Tau are noted as being “regional” in having their own home area of influence, and yet also show up in far flung places across the galaxy like The Jericho Reach as well as the Cronus Sector and everywhere else there is conflict… (probably even at the Cadian Gate!)  Honestly, I think they were the prototypes for Gates of Antares, but I digress…

Interesting setting you have proposed for them to be included in.  Keen on seeing how it develops!

Participant

Yesh, do that and fill it up with high tech scavenged junk. I think that would do the trick. And maybe put a high tech looking Tau sensor pod in that view port hatch.

Thomaston
    Participant

Still couldn’t find anything that look good to cover the view port. In hind sight I should have extended the basket all the way to the edge of the chassis.

Tired is enough.

Participant

Looks good! Fill it with crap. For the view port, how about sticking on of those sensor greeblies from a Tau drone in it?

Thomaston
    Participant

I don’t have any of the new spiffy drones that came after I quit the GW hobby. I’m looking around at photos of gundam models, they usually have some nice looking things. Will also take a look at Heavy Gear, it should fit better with the rugged tech look. In the mean time I’m starting work on the owner. It’s been so long since I’ve touched 28mm, I’m surprised they’re not all that big.

Tired is enough.

Participant

Heavy gear greeblies would work a treat there!

Thomaston
    Participant

More randomness. This time 6mm but not sci-fi.

Tired is enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

Sculpting Tau scavenger.

Tired is enough.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Ooooh

Participant

Wish I could sculpt. :/

Thomaston
    Participant

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Wish I could sculpt. :/

You could start now. Compared to my previous sculpts this is a whole lot better.</p>

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

Okay:

1. She’s hot 😉

2. The space Bren carrier is nifty, can’t wait to see the final product.

3. Those 6mm ships are absolutely beautiful, would be great for a VBSS mission for your little 6mm SOF dudes.

V/R,

Jack

Participant

Someday, maybe, I will try to teach myself to sculpt, but for now… just getting my 3mm ancients project done is kicking my ass….

Thomaston
    Participant

Okay:
    1. She’s hot
    2. The space Bren carrier is nifty, can’t wait to see the final product.

3. Those 6mm ships are absolutely beautiful, would be great for a VBSS mission for your little 6mm SOF dudes.</p>
    Jack

I bought the ship for that exact purpose. Had always wanted to play a game of boarding ships but never did it because it can onyl be used once or twice.

Someday, maybe, I will try to teach myself to sculpt, but for now… just getting my 3mm ancients project done is kicking my ass….

3mm sculpting? 😀

Tired is enough.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Legendary.

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Sculpting in the larger scales is something I can sort of comprehend in sheer technical terms. Armatures and dollies. Sculpting in layers. Blocking in space underneath loose-fitting fabrics. And so on. But 3mm and 6mm sculpting remains a mystery to me. I don’t understand how you’re able to apply pressure on the putty to create detail without obliterating the whole figure. I’ve considered filing the surface detail off of existing 3mm and 6mm metal figures to use them as armatures, but then there’s the problem of getting the putty on top of the armatures thin enough so the figure doesn’t look like some bloat-zombie dressed for an Antarctic expedition. Filing the armature thinner just makes it flimsier, defeating the purpose of it.

I truly don’t get it. When other people sculpt 3mm and 6mm figures, it’s like black magic to me.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks Mike, though I don’t think I’m that good.

@Rhoderic
    I can only speak of my method of sculpting small minis. I don’t think of individual details and do a bodypart at a time. The armature are usually a leg and the body like above (both legs, body and head) and I’ll use putty to fix or add shapes to complete it (knees as above). Each majoy parts, arms, weapon, scarf, braid is its own layer. What worked very well for me previously for 6mm was to make legs and body in one session and add arms, head and details together after the main parts cured. My main concern is to have putty bond as much as possible so parts don’t come off.

3mm is easier since a single blob could be nudged around the armature to complete the mini in a single session.

Sculpting 3mm and 6mm for the past 2 years really helped with this Tau Scavenger compared to my previous large sculpts.

Tired is enough.

Participant

I agree with Thomaston: I think it would probably be relatively easy to do 3mm, at least as compared to 28mm. Do you use armatures for 3mm Thomston and, is so, made of what?

Participant

OMG that is fantastic my dude!  Both the 28mm and 6mm fig, totally impressed.

Thomaston
    Participant

For 3mm I could go either way. I’ve used putty in upside-down V for legs as armature and other materials, they workd equally well. Putty has the advantage of being as thin/thick as you need while other materials are more rigid and faster (don’t need to wait for curing). I prefer using sprue or plastic rod because I don’t have to wait for it to cure and finish the sculpt a day faster.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

“3. Those 6mm ships are absolutely beautiful, would be great for a VBSS mission for your little 6mm SOF dudes.</p>
    Jack
    I bought the ship for that exact purpose. Had always wanted to play a game of boarding ships but never did it because it can onyl be used once or twice.”

Yeah, I’m with you, I’ve thought the same thing, except I’m not as talented as you, so I was going to buy like some Jenga blocks, glue them together in the shape of a ship, and spray paint it.  I’m so terrible at this wargaming stuff…

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Yeah, I’m with you, I’ve thought the same thing, except I’m not as talented as you, so I was going to buy like some Jenga blocks, glue them together in the shape of a ship, and spray paint it. I’m so terrible at this wargaming stuff…

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>V/R,
    Jack

Not sure what you meant. I bought that ship. It’s 1/300 resin model from Cruel Seas. I have thought of buying a 1/450 Montrose kit but this was cheaper.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

You being you, I figured you’d scratchbuilt the ship.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Turning the mudflaps on the grav raft inwards was a stroke of genius. Just that little touch really helps to break up the Bren Carrier’s boxy profile. Also the right side roll bar and block over the vision hatch. Now it doesn’t look like a bren carrier at first glance.

Thomaston
    Participant

@Thaddeus
    I should have taken the mud guard off completely. It might look nicer and easier than cutting up the mudflap.

Tired is enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.