Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Thomaston's random project

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 331 total)
  • Author
    Participant

These are SO perfect for an idea I have had for a looooooong time.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

Are the files individual by ship or is it one big lot to print up?

There are two files one is with the ships on a sprue while ALT has them unconnected.
    In both files there’s one of each design.

Participant

Thank you!

Participant

The size should be 50mm x 50mm, correct?

Yup should be around that size.

Participant

Thanks again!

Participant

What kind of rules are you thinking of building for these, Thomaston?

It’ll be the usual weird concoction with colored dice.
    I’ve been playing around with the idea of rolling => range to hit.
    Rolls of 1, 2 or 3 are beam weapon hits (if => range) depending on dice color and can’t be blocked. Otherwise it’s missiles and subject to defensive fire. At range 1, everything hits.
    Activation phase, choose which ships in a formation will be offensive or defensive. Defensive, each dice negate 1 long range hits.
    Any damages cripples a ship (select one randomly), they’ll be captured by the winner after the battle.

White dice defensive mode
    DD Yellow dice beam hit on 1
    CL Orange dice beam hit on 1-2
    CA Red dice auto beam hit on 1-3

No shields in my rules, very abstract.
    The goal is to have no stats, and no tracking damage.
    Haven’t played any games yet, a little demotivated by how many spaceships I have to paint.

Participant

It’ll be the usual weird concoction with colored dice. I’ve been playing around with the idea of rolling => range to hit. Rolls of 1, 2 or 3 are beam weapon hits (if => range) depending on dice color and can’t be blocked. Otherwise it’s missiles and subject to defensive fire. At range 1, everything hits. Activation phase, choose which ships in a formation will be offensive or defensive. Defensive, each dice negate 1 long range hits. Any damages cripples a ship (select one randomly), they’ll be captured by the winner after the battle. White dice defensive mode DD Yellow dice beam hit on 1 CL Orange dice beam hit on 1-2 CA Red dice auto beam hit on 1-3 No shields in my rules, very abstract. The goal is to have no stats, and no tracking damage. Haven’t played any games yet, a little demotivated by how many spaceships I have to paint.

Oh great, another temptation. How do you do movement?

Participant

Sounds good, and very similar in intent to what I want to do. How many ships are you going to allow for formation?

I keep movement simple, since the board is small. The rules is so basic you could drop in your favorite movement system.
    CA move 1 hex
    CL and DD move 2 hexes
    Haven’t decided yet if I want to give them a hex side turn after each hex moved or make it ultra simple and let them move and face any direction.

Another thing is formation size. All ships in a formation occupy the same hex, move and shoot together. Only one formation per hex.
    I was planning on a maximum of 6 so I could randomly pick damaged ships easier, but any number is possible.
    A D3 roll for the type of ship hit might be faster and better for larger battles.
    Formations that lost 1/3 of its ships retreat.
    Formations lost 2/3 of its ships will surrender if in beam range.
    Maybe Elite formations only retreat after 1/2 are damaged, never surrender.

Hopefully its scalable to huge LOGHesk battles.
    It’ll start to bog down once there are 5 or more formations, so for LOGH level battles I think 10-20 ships formation will be the norm. At this point I’ll stop using hex movement, put the ships on a formation movement tray and use inches for distance.

Participant

Beautiful! Sorry for all the questions, but I have one more: what material are you printing these up in? I am getting some whacko price quotes. Like 500 USD!

I ordered them in SLA resin. I used MakerXYZ, it’s been relatively cheap. Which file did you get the quote on?
    If you’re using Shapeways they charge you extra if the models are not on a sprue.

Participant

The sprue file. Remember that I live in Brazil so prices here are just nuts. Another maker quoted me a price of about 12 bucks a shot — which is still hella expensive, but cheap enough to buy a couple and see how they come out. I am going with XYZ Maker next.

I was really impressed by the WarSigil mat seen here.

Natrually I wanted to make my own. After months of brewing and pondering, making plans and alternate, and back up plans I finally did some tests around a month ago.

The one on the right was made on some stretchy old t-shirt and didn’t work too well. The one on the left was better and I threw on some left over Woodland Scenic scatter to see how it looks. I think the trick is to use scatter sparingly, and have the base caulk color be the main color.

Last week the drop cloth I ordered finally arrives so here began the actual mat. After a lot more pondering and planning ofcourse.

The Plan

Although I plan to use the mat in a square section at a time I made my mat in a long rectangle. I plan to roll the unused part to keep footprint small and still have a playing area that seemlessly transist between terrain types. The idea is to havethe left third be drier green area. The middle will be generally green plains with maybe a stream running through a corner. Next to it will be a river part that continues to coast in the final third.

As I planned it I will start with the water, so I can let the caulk dry and paint it without rining the rest of the mat. Don’t mind the smudges, that was me wiping my fingers.

The thing measures arouns 12″x31″ and I have enough material to do this 5 times, but I’m thinking of leaving some for a big square mat if I feel like it.

Participant

Like the mat project! It is very easy too overflock in the picoscales, so I think you are right, there.

I have just received my spaceships and will be painting two tonight as a test!

@Thaddeus
    I’m interested to see how you paint them. Always looking to copy other people’s paint schemes.

I hadn’t expectd the edges to curl so much, so this one is a bust. I’ll use it for painting and flocking test. Next one will have to be cut a little larger than what I wanted so I could take all the edges down.

Participant

Might want to tack it down to a frame while you paint it to keep it from doing just that.  Keep it stretched.  Then when done after all is dried it should be good*.

*depending upon the material you are using.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Agreed. That’s how I did mine. Also, use light canvas.

Participant

By the way, thanks for turning me onto LOTGH. Really enjoying it!

@DSG

I’m thinking of ways to hold down the cloth. Taping it down with masking tape might hot be strong enough especially once I started painting. Don’t know if it’ll come off once expoed to watered down paint.

@Thaddeus

LOGH is great, I wish they did a full remake with CGI and extended space battles. I keep thinking of 3D printing ships from teh show for some games. I’ve had the idea of putting them on Epic 40k long base, 5 ships per squadron, but not glued down. I like the idia of the squadron changing formation from line astern to line a breast, trading off speed vs firepower.

Finally painted the sea and beach. The flash made it a lot brighter than it is, which looks good. In real life the darker blue is ultramarine blue and much too dark.

Star Trek Lower Decks got me doing the unthinkable, designing ym own trek ships. Trying to make it non trek as possible.

The short nacelle looks cuter, but need some more adjustments.

Participant

Oh, I love these!

Participant

Eew.  This illness can be cured.  Put in some Babylon 5 and some BSG and you’ll be fine.

B5 ships were the first I had printed, and I’m not that far gone to do BSG yet.

The foreground are unsuccessful designs not adopted by the Galactic Space Force. Nine Classes of ships in service in the background.

Participant

Love those foreground ships!

Thomaston’s Guide to Galactic Space Force Ships.

Participant

“Noooo, noooo, I don’t want to be on the Recorder.  It’s drives are always sounding out of tune and for some reason everything is wet and smells of mold!”

I think it’s hilarious that the Choir class has bad communicators, nice one.

Participant

Wanna see the rules, Thomaston!

@DSG
    The attributes were randomly rolled so you can thank the god of humor for that.

@Thasseus
    For this one I’m planning to use Lasers and Feelings. Still couldn’t think of a good way to do mass combat yet though.

@Thaddeus

just saw the painted spaceships you posted on the painting corner. Blue. I see what you did with two of the ships, interesting.

Seeing those I’m having second thought aboout the Star Trek spoof, obviously I prefer my not so original designs more than the Star Trek derivatives.

2020 game board.
    I’ve probably made more boards than I’ve ever painted miniatures and this is yet another version. Complete with dice tray and another for minis. It’s a shame Kalistra half-hex aren’t moulded with all sides and even worst that I don’t have any black plastic card.

Participant

The square fleet will be red and yellow, the round fleet blue and orange.

Yeah, I am kitbashing some ships to get battleships.

These are really fun figures to screw around with, Thomaston, and I am looking forward to getting back to them as soon as the dust from my move settles.

There’s something about yellow stripes that really look good on spaceships.

Some stuff for 5 Parsecs: Salvage Crew.

Half of the OPFOR and a wreck. The other half will be in white/beige. Why so many? The AI system has 4 behaviors so I did a pose for each. Acrylic paint doesn’t seem to stick too well to these minis without an undercoat.

Casualties on an asteroid

Participant

Iron paint on that asteroid?

“Iron paint on that asteroid?”

Kind of. I made a mix of iron oxide powder (natural) with silicon filler. It can put on thicker layers and get texture at the same time. I think it works better for small magnets. The actual texture was from dabbing with sponge but the grainy iron oxide helps a little.

Participant

LOVE THIS!!!

I’ve thought of doing something like that asteroid myself and I’ve been collecting different sizes of cans to make a space station.

That floating piece of spaceship hull is absolute genius btw.

I’ve been hearing the sirens call of 6mm scifi more and more again lately so I’ll be following this and I’ll be taking notes 😎.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Hey Strozie, when I made the wreck I was going to keep record in case anyone was interestd but it went by much quicker than I expected and dirty hands too. It’s pretty straight forward and a very quick build so I say go ahead and built yourself a few.

One thing I could recommend is to use the bottom of the bottle and keep a little of the bottom itself for some rigidity. Aside from that planning out what the interior look like is the hardest part.

Hindsight is 2020

This year had been a year of 3D printing for me and after several close calls, I decided to not buy a resin printer, yet! I prefer hand sculpted minis. And so, the beginning of another bout of sculpting. Not as ambitius a project as 6mm fantasy but hopefully will occupie the whole of 2021. For Warbirds RPG game I’ve been wanting to play. Also had been watching Last Exile anime for inspiration.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 331 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.