Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Thomaston's random project

Viewing 14 posts - 281 through 294 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Thomaston
    Participant

@Jack
    I’m looking forward to seeing some air vehicles in your games. What about Section 20 and some Blackhawks or Little Birds?
    Starport Scum is a little too much RPG for your kind of games but it could work for your Two Brothers game with the character progression. I haven’t played it for so long I need to relearn the rules.

More game ideas.
    Coast Guard helicopter game, because I’ve read some stuff on Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron.
    Pick helicopters and cutters from several options and respond to calls.
    Random rolls for SOS or go-fast boats smuggling drugs. Maybe some kind of VBSS with generic rolls for the boarding actions.
    Helicopters use similar movement to Tiny Air Combat, slower helo are more maneverable and vice versa.

I’ll get to use this sub.
    Meant for Slow Burn, waaay back, but due to some bad intel rolls the team never did find out about it.

coast guards in space.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

2mm minis, 3mm and 6mm for scale.

Unimaginative me copied designs for NAC and OUDF infantry and GW stormtroopers. The hover APCs are based on real vehicle, Pandur and new South Korean 8×8.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

Test game
    Using modified rules by Shaun Traver with terrain feature instead of grid squares and a few things.

NAC 3rd Tank Infantry “East Anglian Rifles Para”
    vs
    OUDF 116th Islanders + tank support

OUDf defending a pass. They have a tank and is flanked to the north and south by forest.
    Plan: North group advance to hold the forest north of big rock. Let NAC bring their tanks into range behind rock without their infantry support.

NAC has to punch through OUDF defensive line with most of their tanks intact.
    Plan: Advance with the tanks, hold forest north of big rock if possible. Infantry in south advance under tank cover and flush enemy defense out before tanks engage.

OUDF kicked things off, moving their northern squad forward to take their objective. They were matched by NAC’s northern squad but the two forces failed to spot each other. SNAFU at NAC command delayed the rest of their force and not much happened.

OUDF northern squad finally spotted their NAC enemy and opened fired. They caused a good number of casualties and pinned most of the others.

NAC tanks couldn’t supprt their infantry in the north due to poor planning, they had no line of sight and chose to advance the rest of the force instead. OUDF northern squad kept up the shooting, pinning the entire NAC squad. NAC southern squad advanced dangerously into the open, covered by their tanks. The forest in front of them seemed quiet.

All hell broke lose as the remaining OUDF forces spotted NAC southern squad and open fired. NAX southern squad took heavy casualty and the remaining troops were suppressed. Having spotted muzzle flash from the treeline, NAC tanks opened up in support of their infantry. The barrage of HE shells put a stop to OUDF shooting but caused no casualty.

While the NAC southern infanry were getting slaughtered the remaining infantry in the north got picked off one by one until they were all dead or wounded. The OUDF tank continued to shoot, but couldn’t finish off NAC southern squad. One team of OUDF infantry managed to rally but thier enemy in the open failed to get their men moving.

Too late, the last NAC infantry force was eliminated but OUDF tank fire, and that was that. NAC couldn’t move their tanks up without infantry support. What the hell! They’ll attack anyway, just to test the rules.

The next salvo from NAC tanks destroyed OUDF southern squad completely. The first OUDF casualties. NAC tanks advanced slowly, but the lone OUDD tank managed to line a shot and damaged one tank.

The remaining tanks return fired but thier shots bounced. After a long duel the pair of NAC tanks managed to damaged their OUDF counterpart and shiftd to the infantry. After a lot more shooting, they had OUDF forces supressed. They gradually pounded away OUDF center infantry easiy wiping them out and drove through, bypasing the squad still in the north.

Well that was anti-climatic. I wanted to move OUDF squad in teh north down and assault the tanks together, but NAC tanks retained initiative all the way though after they knocked out the single OUDF tank. Activation was the only thing I changed in the rules, I blame that tinkering.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

Little 2mm dioramas, kinda.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

Those rover things are very cool. The whole set up feels like 80s or 90s sci-fi art.

Do like.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks.

I can send you the stl for them if you like. They should scale up to 6mm without issue but lack details for larger.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to try Shaun’s rules out for awhile but haven’t gotten around to it.

So how did you monkey with the activation system and screw up the rules? 😉

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

“So how did you monkey with the activation system and screw up the rules?”

I used activation from Advance Songs of Blades ans Heroes. The effect is similar but it could get one sided and weird having more activations than units to use them on. The original activation works better.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

Thanks.
    I can send you the stl for them if you like. They should scale up to 6mm without issue but lack details for larger.

Thats very kind. But I am only playing 10mm WFB games atm.

Just Jack
    Participant

Gotcha.  “Song of…” is a nifty system, I’ve tried it for Napoleonic and modern skirmish, but I couldn’t seem get it to a point where I was satisfied with it.

I’ll get into Shaun’s rules soon.

V/R,

Jack

Thuseld
    Participant

I like the “Song of… ” system. What is different about “Advanced Song of…”?

Thomaston
    Participant

In ASOBH a failed activation lets the enemy react to you. More accurately I was using the activation from the solo Sellsword & Spellslingers but they’re the same as ASOBH.

ASOBH activation is my faviorite for ground combat but the combat system doesn’t do shooty very well. I wanted to try Shako rules for samurai teppo game but still haven’t taken the plunge.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

Yeah, just couldn’t seem to get them to feel right.

And I would absolutely love to do some samurai (and some 20s/30s gangsters, and some Wild West), but I just can’t add another project to the pile right now…

Along those lines, I have bought the “Fistful of Lead” rules.  I haven’t played them yet, but they look pretty doggone cool.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 14 posts - 281 through 294 (of 294 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.