Home Forums WWII Thoughts on stowage…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’ve reached the stage in my Desert Rats and DAK project where the PBI are getting some taxis to take ’em to the oasis. I’ve been studying piccys of some stunning 1:56 builds of Bren Carriers and Hanomags. They all look most impressive festooned in stowage, and a little daft…
    valuable kit and tackle dangling all along the outside of the vehicles, wot’s that all about? A perusal, particularly of Carriers, shows vast amounts of kit bunged on the back of ’em which kind of makes more sense to my tiny mind.
    I’d be interested in the Brethren’s take on vehicle stowage.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Gaz045
    Participant

I usually use a reference photo or 3 to plan out the ‘festooning’ …………I like to keep a standard look (with small variations) for vehicles in a ‘unit’……experience has taught me that platoons,companies and battalions can/will have standard layouts and variations thereof or not at all . The military often supplied vast amounts of ‘valuable kit’ that simply doesn’t fit in the transport provided or is shuffled to ‘external stowage’ as priorities change….ammunition and stores susceptible to damage get to travel first class whilst extra uniform kit,bedding and tentage goes third class….A particular bugbear to avoid is the blocking of vision ports and vents- an absolute sin in my books!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I”m with Gaz.  Piccies tell the story and are the best guide if you’re going for a realistic look.  I’ve noticed there is a difference between travel dress and combat dress, as far as stowage goes in WW2.  I was told by an old tanker once: “The less crap you have tied to ya when the shooting starts, the less likely you are to catch fire.  But never lose the beer.”

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

John D Salt
    Participant

8th Army in the desert, and old desert hands in other theatres later on, were notorious for carrying loads of gubbins on their vehicles. It makes sense to do so when operating over MMFD, needing to carry all the gear you need for happy camping, and being at the end of a long logistic chain that means that supply of fresh POL, water, bully, beans and bullets is not entirely certain.

In particular, I think all 8th Army vehicles should have a brew-can dangling off the back, in the style often shown in Jon’s “The Two Types”.

All the best,

John.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.