Home Forums WWI Through the Mud and the Blood Clearing a Village Video Battle Report!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

I was on a Through the Mud and Blood kick for a while and here is the result of that, another video taken from the Stout Hearts supplement; Clearing a Village battle report.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/stormofsteelwargaming

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

John D Salt
    Participant

A bit different from last time out for the attackers!

I really like the idea of having blokes destroying documents as fast as they can before the position is overrun. An idea worth stealing, certainly.

I’d have said that, once more, the British did not have a sufficient combat power advantage to be sure of success — 4:3 is not really enough — but they scored a smashing success anyway. As Dave Rowland has pointed out, built-up areas actually tend to favour the attacker, contrary to popular military wisdom. This game I think helps illustrate why, as the closeness of the terrain permitted the British to get within assaulting distance without spending very long at all under fire from the defenders. A reminder of why defenders want clear fields of fire to 200m, and 100m as an absolute minimum. What is the ground scale, by the way? I’d guess something like 1 inch to 10 yards.

The British didn’t seem to spend any time suppressing the enemy prior to an assault, and the results seem to have turned on the dice rolls, so I wouldn’t necessarily attribute their success to conscientious application of the lessons of SS 143, but, as the saying goes, don’t knock it, it works. In order to make fire a bit more suppressive, I think the idea (which I think you mentioned in the last video?) of making kills produce a shock point as well is a good one.

All the best,

John.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.