Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Thuseld's 6mm Journey

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 335 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The tanks gives off a very sci-fi-y vibe no doubt.

Great work on the reinforcements for both sides, but I’m beginning to suspect that the Alliance command have neglected to send in any mechs. I don’t doubt that the PAC have a love affair with their bipedal weapons as is proper, but do the Western Alliance have a fluff reason for not having any, or is it simply that you haven’t found any that fit them? Just curious 🙂

I don’t know if it’ll fit with your idea for the big city, so feel free to ignore it if doesn’t but I realized that if you need some skyscrapers and other bigger buildings without too much work there is this :  http://www.sarna.net/files/media/cardstock/ A pretty big library of printable cardstock buildings, originally intended for BattleTech which happens to be 6mm( or 1/285) as well.  Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames also used to have some free printable buildings that you might want to look into.

Participant

I am currently deciding if I have a fluff reason for no mecha in the Western Alliance. As it stands I have no mecha painted for them, but also I might have a generic green scheme for normal Alliance as the current forces are the special jungle troops and tanks, and this would mean I can use some of the UCS mechs ares filler. The handful of unpainted mecha in my collection don’t feel very Western Alliance.

As for the buildings. Thanks for those. I have ares bunch of files are sl ready and want to print them. Might do at school.

Participant

I’ll just have to wait and see then, won’t I? Even if you decide that the Western Alliance might have mechs somewhere that doesn’t neccessarily mean that they are available in any great numbers or at all. I would imagine that mechs fill very specialized roles depending on the loadout and the units they operate in unison with, so if you don’t have any mechs that feel right for the Alliance at the moment they could simply be unavailable to the defenders. It’s just a thought, it leaves the possibility open without forcing you to present some right now.

You are welcome for the link, not really mine to take credit for, but they could make life a bit easier.

Participant

Western Alliance Reinforcements.

On the blog is the beginning of a terrain experiment with hedges; some mercenaries; and the armoured reinforcements for the Western Alliance. Still no mecha though, although they are on bases and need to be primed and painted.

Participant

Nice! Some more regulars will come in handy for the beleaguered Alliance. The mercs are cool too, I like that they don’t really match 100% 🙂

The Tranquil Stars site is a really nice touch, is it something you did recently, or have I just missed it this whole time?

Participant

Thanks, Alexander. You can look at the mercs and see that I got the idea for different colours, and then thought it would be even better to have different armour. It is a good way to use up the final few figures of lots I bought.

The tranquil stars website is my latest attempt to organise my world building. I have a few notebooks, a bunch of notes on Evernote, a private Subreddit, more notebooks, my blog. This new site is somewhere that won’t archive old, forgotten ideas. I can update and edit as I go. Also it looks pretty.

Participant

Another set of miniatures off the bench. Also other reinforcements on the blog here.

Participant

Looking great!

Making 10 armies is no small feat, but it does give up options further along the line with your own games too 🙂

Participant

It has been intense. But I finally have enough to field a decent force for each faction. Looking at 15 to 20 presence. My next job is to actually build the lists.

Participant

1. Am I a bad person for drawing on details with a sharpie?

Also here is a collection of faction photos.

Participant

Sharpies and electrical insulation tape is a great way to do details without much fuzz. So no, you’re not a bad person 🙂

It’s nice to see all the factions, you’ve gone a good job with all of them!

Participant

I have just been looking back at the awful photos on my blog and wanted to try improving them. I also needed photos for my presentation next week.

As for the sharpie terrain, it was an idea last night so thought I would give it a go. They will do as far as I am concerned right now. It gives me enough for five tables.

Participant

The pics look good IMHO 🙂

The terrain looks fine, you can always improve on some small details later on if you feel the need. I hope that there will be some photos from all of these in action? Five tables worth of Horizon Wars will be grand!

Participant

I am excited for it. I will be taking two lots of photos over the week: photos without students for here, and photos with students for the school film and slideshow. I doubt I will do much by way of narrative, although each battle has a little story with it, but I think I will just end up dumping a bunch of photos here.

Participant

I love your terrain, very inventive.  I miss the days of large work building.  Keep it up, it looks great.

Participant

Looking really good, I love some of those colour schemes. Particularly the New Vesta Defence Force. The tan/brown colour of their weapons really works with the blue, nice livery. What are those colours exactly? I might nick the colour scheme for some of mine. The CinC tanks look good too, the purple really looks scfi/off world sort of feel.

All in all, some nice forces there. Good mix of manufacturers and liveries for each faction. Good job.

Participant

Uniform is Lothern Blue from citadel. The gun is Desert Yellow from Vallejo. Washed with Agrax Earthshade from Citadel. Then dry brushed with the desert yellow again. I wish I had highlighted with a light blue and may still try it.

Reading many blogs and articles has told me that at 6mm scale contrasting colours help them pop off of the table.

Participant

Ideal thanks for that. I’m scratching around for colours other than the usual army greens and browns. Also my paint stock is starting to run low. So I’m deciding what colours to replace.

Participant

Progress with terrain here. It was mostly flocking and clump foliaging to make these more usable. Terrain building is not a huge priority anymore as I apparently have enough to make five tables at once. I just need variety for specific scenarios. I also can spend the time experimenting with nicer, better buildings.

Keymaster

Cool, there is always a fascination with overgrown/abandoned stuff, it just screams mystery.

Good use of beads too!

Participant

Neat idea, I agree with Mike, it looks cool!

Participant

I have just ordered a bunch of GZG infantry and some civilian trucks. I will receive it for my birthday. I am hoping to expand some existing factions to create enough units to play around with Laserstorm.

With the birthday money I receive I will be ordering a load of mecha from Iron Wind Metals, and an order from Heroics and Ros: Dismounted Cavalry from ACW era, hoping I can use them as cowboy looking people for Starport Scum. I will also be ordering a number of vehicles, some WW2, others modern. This should give me enough to paint over the year.

Participant

With the birthday money I receive I will be ordering a load of mecha from Iron Wind Metals, and an order from Heroics and Ros: Dismounted Cavalry from ACW era, hoping I can use them as cowboy looking people for Starport Scum. I will also be ordering a number of vehicles, some WW2, others modern. This should give me enough to paint over the year.

I have some ACW cavalry, mounted and dismounted, from many years past. Bought them with the intent of using them for Krell forces in a Morrow Project post apoc wargame setting. Figured troops in large floppy hats (confederates) would be ideal generic infantry. Some were suitable while others less so. I can’t remember the proprietor’s name off hand, despite often corresponding, Andy I think. Anyways contact him through his web site and state what you are trying to achieve. If you can give him a link to a picture on the web of what you have in mind that would be best. I can’t promise anything but he has always been very responsive to my inquiries and may be able to recommend the most suitable figures. I think there may be up to 5 versions of the confederate troops to choose from. Also with his WWII and modern ranges many of the 50 pack of figures can be ordered as 5 to 10 figure strips so a strip or two of each variety may work better for you as you are basically skirmish gaming. Plus don’t overlook any of his other historical ranges, many WWII or modern troopers would make very good sci fi forces. I have some old school H&R colonials I am painting and basing for between the wars colonial actions.

He also has an unreleased group of dedicated sci fi micro armour figures. I have seen pictures in various places of some of the range. He has mentioned they are available, he just doesn’t seem to promote them, yet. From what I remember they were a cross between ’30s serial Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon types and early Doctor Who cybermen.

Participant

New blog up with Friday’s work. Began work on some rock formations, finished a few vehicles, and finally finished the McDonalds cannons…

Keymaster

Aces. Time to raid Charlotte’s happy meal toy collection.

Participant

Nice to see the guns finished, they look suitably imposing 🙂

Participant

Ironically immediately after sealing the vehicles, I dropped them all on the garden path. They are all scratched and came off their bases. Lol.

Participant

When they said Alien, I thought they said “illegal alien” and signed up.

Keymaster

F*ck you man.

Participant

….. and then Hudson comes back with “Anytime, anywhere…..” to Vasquez….. at least that was what I hope Mike was referring to !

Private Hudson: Sir?
    Lieutenant Gorman: What is it, Hicks?
    Private Hudson: Hudson, sir. He’s Hicks.
    [signals to Hicks]
    Lieutenant Gorman: What’s the question?
    Private Hudson: Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bug hunt?
    Lieutenant Gorman: All we know is that there’s still no contact with the colony and that a xenomorph may be involved.
    Private Frost: Excuse me, sir, a-a what?
    Lieutenant Gorman: A xenomorph.
    Corporal Hicks: It’s a bug hunt.

– looking forward to seeing those ‘bugs’ painted up!

Keymaster

That was it.

Participant

I have been wanting to bug hunt since I discovered sci fi wargaming was a thing. That and rescue some juicy colonist daughters from…well we all know.

Participant

Them’s some big old beasties though, I won’t even rate the chances of survival for one of your tiny little troopers if one gets it’s mits on him!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Them’s some big old beasties though, I won’t even rate the chances of survival for one of your tiny little troopers if one gets it’s mits on him!

They must have gestated inside Engineers. That would explain their size 

Participant

Are we going to see these in a game? I’ll be quite interested in seeing the big dude in action.

Participant

Are we going to see these in a game? I’ll be quite interested in seeing the big dude in action.

I am sure we will see them at some point soon. I tried a couple of paint schemes tonight to see which I want. Started painting the marines also.

Participant

Game over man!

🙂

Nice idea, hope to see it on your table soon!

Participant

A Chicken Sh** Outfit…

Finished these guys. The marines are okay, but I am not sure about their colours. Xenos are looking good.

Keymaster

Outstanding.
    Now all you need is a deck of cards!

Participant

“Shut it! This little girl survived here for three weeks, with no weapons, and no training!”

“Well f$&@ing-A man, put her in f$&@in’ charge!”

Cool stuff as always man.

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 335 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.