Home Forums General General TIme Sink Projects?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Rhoderic Rhoderic 3 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

Do any of you have time-sink projects, into which you put a lot of time but have never yet achieved anything with it (a workable game or painted army would count as an ‘achievement’ here)?

For me, it is re-writing old RPG rule sets: Warhammer Fantasy, MERP and Shadowrun.  Every so often I mess around with a different bit of each system but have never got them to a place where I would be happy using them compared to the originals, despite the problems.  Is anyone else working eternally on a set of rules, or have planned out a new army which never gets bought, never mind painted, or plans for intricate campaigns which always get rejected when the time comes for a points game or a published scenario?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Norm S
    Norm S
    Participant

For me, it is writing a set of rules and also trying to get two 1066 armies painted up. It is only a lack of focus that stops either, as I just dabble in too much stuff ………… and then spend too much time looking at a screen! I was almost certainly more productive 20 years ago when I didn’t do that.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Chris Pringle
    Participant

If anything I have the opposite problem – I get so focused on a given campaign that I order painted armies but meanwhile get stuck in and fight battles with proxies; by the time the new armies arrive, most of the battles have been fought and it’s nearly time to move on to the next project. Certainly that has been the case with my Greek and Serbian armies for the Balkan Wars, which I ordered so I could use them to play the scenarios for the “Bloody Big Balkan Battles” campaign book published earlier this year by Brigade Games.

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/search.asp?keyword=bloody+big+balkan+battles&search=

They’ve only had a couple of outings for actual 1912-1913 battles. However, they have seen action as proxies themselves!

My main project for the past couple of years has been Hungary 1848. I do have 6mm Austrians, but have not yet invested in the Hungarian army I would dearly love to possess. This is partly because my oppo Dave has both sides in 10mm, so we use those; but also because I am worried that yet again the reinforcements will arrive when the war is almost over …

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Most of my projects probably tend to fall into the “time-sink” category.  My 6mm Cold War project that I’ve been very focused on this year was actually started in 1983.  I started buying the miniatures and writing the rules back then, and have tinkered with these older (1950s, 1960s) CW armies off and on over the years.  I have played a few of these earlier 1950s-1960s battles, but they were very limited partially due to unavailability of miniatures, and lack of comprehensive information.  So while maybe not exactly fitting into the description, it has taken 36 years so far, and I still haven’t gotten a complete army on the table yet.

Other periods have been similar, 30 years to get my post-apoc games on the table, 17 to get my colonial games on the table, etc.  My current iteration of 20mm Vietnam dates back to at least 2010, I may have started figures as far back as 2006, just can’t remember exactly), but still haven’t gotten around to most of the terrain yet.  15mm Cold War has been a work in progress since the early 2000s.  The list goes on.

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

The perfect set of brigade level WW2 rules. I don’t know why this level of command is so hard, but it is a sort of crossover between operational and tactical.  Mine always end up as either horrible scaled up skirmish games or something more bland than Panzerblitz.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Chris Pringle
    Participant

The perfect set of brigade level WW2 rules.

For three battalions or so a side I have had some good games with Kampfgruppe Commander. Have you ever tried KGC?

Chris

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Like our friend above, most of my projects are time sinks.  A lot of it stems from getting excited over a project with some friends, dumping $ and time into it then they bail out or it gets put on long term hold.  The most recent is the tripartite mercenary air/ground war that I got all wound up for.  Took some Tumbling Dice rules and tweaked them, came up with ground combat rules and the overall campaign rules, bought tons of 1/600 planes and ground units, started painting and then life happened for everyone and it’s on hold…  It’s happened so often that I have now declared to the group that henceforth I will bow out of putting group projects together, but will happily play.

For a personal project I’ve been working on a Vietnam game called “Over Green Hell” for more than 12 years.  It was at first a convention game that was all about little 1/600 helos zipping around and blowing stuff  up ala Apocalypse Now attack on ‘Charlies Point’, but then morphed into more ground operations with air assets, and then was pushed into getting it to a point to publish for mass consumption by making it “fast play”.  Making it fast play just wasn’t right.  I finally pipped up and said that I am going to make it a game that I would like to play and if others want to play it too then hooray for us all.  So, work continues, slowly…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m at the point where I don’t worry about it. The point is to relax, and if I never finish my projects, so what. I always have something interesting to engage my mind on when I’m in the proper mood, so I let things come and go.

jeffers
    Participant

All of them…

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

6mm WW2. I have yet to have a game. I have multiple rule sets. I have two painted platoons with some armour and a few support weapons. Never hit the table though.

Terrain is the hold up. I can’t convince myself that I have enough terrain to put together a playable game, which is likely false.

Bocage. This could count as its own time sink. I have tried various methods for 6mm bocage and none of them are pleasing to me.

Thomaston
    Participant

@DSG
    So you’re the one to blame for FNG:OGH. I’ve been waiting all this time thinking it’ll be released some day.

I also feel like all my projects are time sink. By the time I’m done with sculpting my fantasy minis, I’ve got new ideas and decided to pursue that instead. There’s also the RPG world map that took months to make but when it’s finally finished the tone of my game changed again.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

@DSG So you’re the one to blame for FNG:OGH. I’ve been waiting all this time thinking it’ll be released some day.

My fault for certain!  (also the having to rewrite FNG3rd ed 4 times as core rules changed while writing…).  BUT, I will do it, and it will get out there, and it will probably be too much for a lot of people as it won’t be fast play.

There’s also the RPG world map that took months to make but when it’s finally finished the tone of my game changed again.

That’s a shame, as that map was brilliant!  It no longer suites the game you’re making the minis for?  Will you make another to fit that setting?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ll keep on waiting for OGH, as long as it has lots of helicopters.

World map
    I might use it some day when my ideas change again. For now I prefer a more loose world that has recognizable locations that I can fudge travel times and ecnounters.

My hobby history is pretty much a series of time sink.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

I have, and have had, plenty of time sinks, it’s why I’ve had so many sales!

I’ve spent considerable amounts of time painting, basing, and re-basing 6mm Napoleonics (once), 10mm Napoleonics (twice), 10mm Dark Ages (once), 20mm WWII (once), 10mm ACW (once), and 15mm WWII (three times!) for a total of about eight games combined, before selling it off.

I’m praying I didn’t just do one of them again with a rather large purchase I’m waiting to receive…

V/R,

Jack

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Every last one of them, even the completed ones.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Everything is a time-sink project for me, but I tend not to think of it in negative terms. At least, I don’t think of it that way when what I’m sinking time into is ultimately something creative. If I find myself having spent an entire weekend on planning how to cobble together a hypothetical project out of figures and models from a dozen different manufacturers, or making a few tiny model plants by “deconstructing and reconstructing” plastic plants leaf-by-leaf, I’ll probably still not have any regrets over it.

As for the non-creative time sinks, like having to chase up vendors who haven’t fulfilled their part of a transaction, or spending two hours combing through a sprawling webshop and then hesitating at the “go to checkout” button, that stuff I abhor.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.