Home Forums WWII "Time to Burn" Part I

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok this was rather hurried…very little time today (hence the ironic title)

I’ll try to give an explanation for some of the rules later but the opening minutes I inserted the CoC patrol phase just to position the troops. I allocated rally dice to both forces as I thought appropriate to their respected leaders etc.

The rally dice work on the principles discussed in Jacks latest AAR (number 4)

I’m using squads broken up into 3 man units. I’m employing an activation suggestion made by Ivan to me in an earlier thread…all very spontaneous but unbelievably great fun…best game in ages (well I’ve only played half of it and reported on even less but I wanted to post something ……

Anyway I know I screwed up on the bren firing on the germans who had just occupied the building.

http://warpanda.blogspot.ca/

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Participant

The War Panda was up early this morning! Lovely report but although I have read through Ivan’s rules once, I don’t feel I am ready to make useful comments on rule related matters. However on the aesthetic front I have plenty to say. A lovely board and beautiful figures and models. I smiled that you used perp. ID images for your troop bios. The comic-book formatting is nice but it can make the examination of the photos more difficult. There is no doubt however that it makes the Bat. Rep. more enjoyable. It was really a pleasure to read and see. I have to hand it to you Panda, you know how to do up a fine episodic report and you know how much it pains me to to offer laurels to you and throw rose petals before you but you deserve it. Gaudete in Panda-pugio!

If the Irish could play rugby nearly as well as you do miniature wargames, your inane bravado might carry some weight with me!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Keymaster

How is that a game and not a static diorama?

Participant

Thanks guys

I can’t emphasise enough how enjoyable the game itself was too…

The Rally dice idea for me worked great. It was meant to represent the amount of intensity applied to getting the troops moving. If a lot of intense barking is constantly being made well the unit will cease listening (run out of dice)

The Chain of Command Dice was used to deploy troops onto the table. Differences to CoC : Only 3 Dice. 5’s rolled mean nothing (was toying with the idea of being a extra rally die.) The Dice are used to deploy troops only they cannot activate unless there is enemy in LoS then they can Ambush as per rules but only after there is a Displacement movement for the enemy. If the enemy is still in LoS they can be shot at. So not a good idea to loiter in the vicinity of possible enemy territory (enemy jump off points)

The displacement mechanic works great to representing Fog of War for newly arrived jump off unit. Otherwise I think they can know too much about the enemies exact position

Rod I completely agree about the comic style though. I’m going with a straight forward image and text from now on…anyway have to run (Mother’s Day in the Dillon household 😉

Talk to you all  later

Participant

Panda,

So, you couldn’t even play the game once, straight out of the box, eh?  Not once?  Just kidding man…

“I can’t emphasise enough how enjoyable the game itself was too…”
    ‘Cause that’s the important part.

I’m glad you had a good time.  Me, I wasn’t able to get a lick of wargaming in this weekend, not even prepping or painting…

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Nice write up & great terrain.

A minor point, the British termininology was Section, not squad. Sgt Palmer would be most unhappy ..

Participant

Sgt Palmer would be most unhappy

@Etranger I’ll have to keep an eye on that…I’m hanging around with these Americans too much 🙂

So, you couldn’t even play the game once, straight out of the box, eh?  Not once?  Just kidding man…

I had no intention of messing around so much but I had just painted up these new Jump off points and was looking forward to making use of some new terrain pieces  🙂

Me, I wasn’t able to get a lick of wargaming in this weekend, not even prepping or painting…

Well I was so busy with the family I really was hurried to play…

I really need to look at what dice to use in different shooting situations…

For example what do you use when shooting at occupied buildings?

Participant

A diorama !!!!

Participant

“By the book”, if a bloke is poking his head out to shoot at me, I can shoot back at him with the normal dice.
    After I shoot, he can “hit the dirt” and go into hiding behind the cover.

If he’s hidden, I can’t bloody well see ‘im, now can I? 🙂

I’ve experimented with letting groups fire at hidden troops with Shock dice, to pin them down.
    Nothing concrete yet, but if you are running sections, it seems reasonable.
    That way, you can fire on a building while another team sneaks up.

Participant

I seem to remember (I am at work) that Five Core Company Command allow s assault squads to fire 1 shock for at units in cover. I remember the rule as it is a big exception to ” in cover, not peeking, no target “. So if you do add it for normal squads, that may have flow on effects to assault squads!

Participant

experimented with letting groups fire at hidden troops with Shock dice, to pin them down.
    Nothing concrete yet, but if you are running sections, it seems reasonable.
    That way, you can fire on a building while another team sneaks up.

And that’s the way I played it Ivan. The Bren team in this level could use only shock dice. It seems plausible that shooting at the window would keep Jerries head down. But the Bren team wasn’t deployed when they entered the house so I’m not sure if they technically should have been allowed to know that they were there.

For what its worth I’ll type up whatever I used. I’ll be play testing this as it really did give a fun and exciting game.

Participant

I seem to remember (I am at work) that Five Core Company Command allow s assault squads to fire 1 shock for at units in cover. I remember the rule as it is a big exception to ” in cover, not peeking, no target “. So if you do add it for normal squads, that may have flow on effects to assault squads!

You’re totes correct.
    I was meaning in the context of an individual skirmish, sorry!

Participant

So if you do add it for normal squads, that may have flow on effects to assault squads!

It was a Bren team that actually fired on the building and that’s why I allowed the shock dice…In my platoon level where a three man team is a unit I might allow the same if an entire section (see Etranger I was listening 😉  were laying down fire….

And Shaun that counts as a full AAR 😉

Rumor has it that you posted a Star Wars movie but I haven’t seen it so it doesn’t count :)-

Participant

Hey Ivan I’d love to hear what you might imagine would be possible (suitable) hit dice for various situations in the skirmish level. I could try different variations to test them out

Participant

Now I have actually read the blog post, it is skirmish, not squad based so obviously I should not have commented from work without any context.  But this is the internet and so I blame that lots of other people do it too!

Panda, you obviously had lots of fun playing, even if I am not really sure if you were using any published rules 🙂

And Panda, your “half an AAR” post does not count as an AAR until the last bit is finished. Even it is looks great and is done in a comic style.  It is like posting 1 1/2 hours of video over 4 posts and counting it as 4.  It is 0 until the last bit, then it is 1,  not 4 🙂

The Star Wars AAR certainly did not excel in terrain like yours.  From a diorama perspective, the Ikea table I played on did not really look like I had gone to a lot of effort in the visual category.

Participant

the Ikea table I played on did not really look like I had gone to a lot of effort

No it sounds like you went to a <giggle> a lot of trouble…Ikea table? As a Galaxy Far Far Away? And that counts as a full AAR? Well let me get my trusty camera out; I’ve lots of random furniture that will do a war report quite nicely. On any occasion the kids room for example usually looks like a battle torn street in Beirut 😉

I’m now curious…I need to see your hard earned AAR… 😉

Participant

War Panda:

So now you’re playing Co5CCC?

Make up your mind man!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Make up your mind man!

My mind is like a bed. Its mainly used for sleeping and when I’m done I need to make it up again…

And it gets worse…I’m battling the urge to incorporate BA’s Pinning/Rallying rules…but no I’ll be strong

Mr Rod Roy what gaming have YOU been up to recently? Now no excuses. And caber tossing is not a valid exercise  in this case

Participant

15mm caper tossing though?
    (which sounds like a masturbation joke for midgets)

Participant

15mm caper tossing though?
    (which sounds like a masturbation joke for midgets)

If this becomes your next big gaming hit just remember where the idea originated…although on second thoughts…

Participant

I think there’s a real opening for a Highway Games miniature game; I don’t think there’s enough mini games involving girls tossing long poles…(Ivan careful…I now know how your mind works)

Participant

And just to recap this is the first part of my Battle Report “Time to Burn” (living up to its title obviously)

Participant

“Five midgets on a pole? “

Participant

LoL…Weasel please…

Participant

Highland 5Core Hardcore?

War Panda:

I’ve played no games since I have been to busy with work for the last two weeks. The best I have done is read 5Core CC and Shipwreck rules and assembled some  Cold War Soviet Armour. Whaaaaaa!

Cheers and good gaming because I won’t get any done until the end of June.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Wow, just wow. That scenery is certainly something to aspire to! Just amazing!

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/stormofsteelwargaming

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Participant

Panda,  I am not disagreeing with you about terrain. I did laugh – I could picture an AAR that  consisted solely of pictures of miniatures on chairs, tables and drawers!  But you may have realised I  do tend to spend more time playing that setting up the terrain…

Participant

Panda, I am not disagreeing with you about terrain. I did laugh – I could picture an AAR that consisted solely of pictures of miniatures on chairs, tables and drawers! But you may have realised I do tend to spend more time playing that setting up the terrain…

We played a Rogue Trader battle back in the day, across the livingroom furniture. Looted my friends little brothers toy robots for vehicles 🙂

Participant

Thanks Abwehrschlacht it’s nice to have your work appreciated every so often 🙂

Rod roll on June …I want to read  some Rod AAR’s (pics would be nice but I’m not holding my breath)

Shaun and Ivan…if I’m honest I remember a game of Crossfire played on my kitchen table and it was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played. I used to play lots of RPGs’ and often found  having decent terrain sometimes just distracted from the use of imagination. Problem with my setup is it takes so long to set up another scene. For someone that plays lots it would probably drive them crazy…

Participant

Sorry I’ve been MIA of late busy on on other sites….I need to play a Team Rebel game soon.

Participant

Team Rebel? What’s that Blue?

Participant

My second string 1985’ish US forces for Cold War Goes Hot, Fulda Gap 15mm US and Soviet Armor. Battlefront is coming out with Fulda Gap forces and rules this fall, I’m jumping the gun and collecting stuff now so I will be able to play right away.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.