Home Forums Air and Sea Air Tiny Air Combat

This topic contains 96 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 3 days ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Thomaston
    Participant

Last year I planned a camping trip that would last a few months, knowing how boring camping could be I worked on a whole series of travel size miniatures that fit in a tobacco tin or metal CD case. Typical of me the one thing I forget to take on my trip were the travel games.

The hexes are 15mm flat-flat.

After I got back I worked on a few changes, including altitude stands. 4 levels are about the highest it’ll go, more levels is too sensitive to how level or steady the tin is.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

That is absolutely fantastic!  C’mon man, you have to share details, how’d you do it?  What scale are those aircraft, who makes them, how do the stands work?  I am sincerely interested and look forward to hearing/seeing more, I think those are amazing.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

It looks like the flight stands are nails with some greenstuff wrapped around them.

Just Jack
    Participant

I agree.

I guess they’re magnetized, just swap out different sized nails for the different altitude bands.

And that means those planes are really small, maybe 1/1250 from CAP Aero?

They look super cool, I’ve got to get some!

V/R,

Jack

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Very cool! Nice mix of kit there too.

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

You are such a butterfly Jack!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

I can’t help it, I’m inspired! Can’t wait to hear from Thomaston.

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Sigh..I guess.

Thomaston
    Participant

Neodymium magnets. The planes were magnetized to stick to the travel tins. The stand segments are rod shaped neodymium magnets 1mm diameter 10mm length. Base is a piece of plastic, hole punched and greenstuffed to the magnet to give it stability.

Nails would do just as well if you have a magnet on the base and under the aircraft or in between. It wouldn’t be as strong/stable as magnets all the way up. You’ll have to make sure to cut the nails very accurately and have very flat connecting surface. For travel, nails can get lost magnets will stick to the tin.

I only put greenstuff around them because I hate getting paint scratched off metal. For larger scales (1/600) I recommend 2-3mm diameter and you can go longer length but the extra diameter will give much better stability.

If you countersink a 3-4mm ball bearing under the planes the magnetic rod lets you pitch and roll the aircraft.

To date, I haven’t found any magnets that are transparent yet.

The planes are 3D printed, in the first photo they are all 3D printed (1st gen). I liked how the transparent material makes for very nice canopies. F-16 canopy vs Mig-21F, depending on light angle. In the second photo I cast them in milliput (3rd gen), so they have painted canopies. Originally had a lot more planes including F-15, Su-27 and bombers but were too big for the hexes.

These are non scale, they’re about 10mm long and that was my own requirement for travel game, except for the Canberra bomber it had to be bigger for looks. They’re also chibi for durability so they’re chunkier than 1/1250 and might be a bit bigger. 1/1250 aircraft could do pretty well if you’re after a travel game and I actually started with 1/1250 aircraft. I’m pretty sure neodymium magnets could handle up to 1/600 metal minis in this setup easily, good luck counter sinking ball bearings under Oddzial Osmy aircraft

One idea I’ve been playing around with for 1/600 is sinking a small magnets under wings where hardpoints should be so I can use these magnet rods as missiles.

Life's too long.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

That is even more impressive!

Just Jack
    Participant

That is very cool, thanks for sharing.

I love the look of the aircraft themselves; I had to google ‘chibi’ to figure out what that meant, but  yeah, that makes sense, they’re stumpy and cute 😉

3D printed, eh? Where from, or did you do them yourself? I’m serious, I’ve got to get me some (if such a thing is possible)!

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I get my prints from Shapeways, their material is cloudy transparent. It used to cost a lot of print, ever since I didn’t need to print anymore the price got better.

I don’t recommend it though, there’s a lot of cleaning to be done before painting and acrylic doesn’t seem to stick to the material well. It’s the reason i moved away from using the raw prints and made molds out of them instead.

Another issue is after a while in storage these prints crystallize, they sparkle like sexy vampires. You can’t see it but ever model in the first photo above and the photo below sparkle. These crystals even come through paint, light brushing does get rid of them though.

I get carried away with designing planes sometimes.

Something else I found.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Thomaston.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

Wow, sexy vampires, eh?  Gotta think about that 😉

Well, there’s no way I’ve got the time, resources, or talent to mold those things myself, maybe if I use a different material?  I’m not worried about the cleanup, I’m used to it, I’ve bought plenty of 6mm, 10mm, and 15mm 3d-printed vehicles.  I hadn’t run into the crystal-stuff before, must be the material you use to print in.

I’m not finding the aircraft in the Shapeways store; did you purchase them, or did you design them yourself and have Shapeways print them?  If you purchased them, any hints to help me find them?  If you designed them yourself, any way we can talk business?  I’m already daydreaming about some Israeli Mirages duking it out with Egyptian MiG-21s.  Probably some alt-Desert Storm with F-16s and Mig-29s, too.  And who knows what else is available in terms of different aircraft types 😉

I already found the magnet rods you were talking about, they’re nice and cheap.  I really like the setup you’ve got above, don’t even need the rods.  But it’s kind of a small space, isn’t it?  I mean, there’s nothing wrong with that small a space, I just don’t know of any rules that would fit in that small a space?  What are you using?

Thanks again for all you’ve posted, it’s very illuminating and super cool.

V/R,
    Jack

norm smith
    norm smith
    Participant

Always engaging to see something different and new ideas shared – thanks, good post.

http://commanders.simdif.com

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

How very very cool.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

I had no idea there was such a thing as a neodymium rod. My whole world view has changed.

Where do you find 1mm diameter rods? I can only find 3mm x 13mm ones on amazon.

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

I googled “rod shaped neodymium magnets 1mm diameter 10mm length” and got a bunch of hits; top of the list was:

https://www.guysmagnets.com/neodymium-magnets-c11/1-mm-x-10-mm-neodymium-rod-p296

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I did suspect they were intentionally chibified / SD. Good show!

To be honest, I especially like the extra SD ones in your photo of unpainted planes. The Advance Wars vibe is lovely.

Thomaston
    Participant

The aircraft were for myself I didn’t sell them. I’d recommend you consider Tumbling Dice 1/600 first, they’re cheaper. If you still want my planes I’ll make them available to buy, tell me the types you want.

Remember it doesn’t matter how big or small the aircraft are, as long as you hum the top gun theme while playing, it’s good.

The tin was small to play on, can’t really go above 3 vs 3 but it was a travel game so I couldn’t complain. The rules are my own and at the time I haven’t came up with the altitude stand yet. Current rules is hexless and has altitude, because I got tired of painting hexes on metal surface.

A little off topic the tin is actually playable on both sides, the other side is made for ground terrain. Some 3mm 30k below.

Life's too long.

MattH
    MattH
    Participant

I googled “rod shaped neodymium magnets 1mm diameter 10mm length” and got a bunch of hits; top of the list was: https://www.guysmagnets.com/neodymium-magnets-c11/1-mm-x-10-mm-neodymium-rod-p296

Thank you. Magnet heaven.

Thomaston
    Participant

Yup, guysmagnets is my go to source, the cheapest as far as I know.

Another is first4magnets.com, more expensive but wider range.

I think both sites has values for magnet strength, most miniatures sub 28mm don’t need anything near 0.2kg pull. I have a bunch of 4mm disc, 2mm thick with 0.38kg pull and they are crazy strong. These days I only use 3mm disc, 0.5mm thick, they should be just strong enough to hold 15mm minis. Your mileage may vary.

Seriously I don’t recommend 1mm diameter, it’s too narrow, 2mm should work better.

Life's too long.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

You are divinely insane!  That tin and all of the figures and terrain are a kind of madness I can really get behind!  Such a bummer you left them behind, that had to be a big disappointment.  they just look great.

I had no idea there were now n.m. rods with polarized tips.  Might make for a huge change to my 1/600 gaming!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

This is such a huge inspiration to me! Can you please give us some more photos of the 3mm 30k game with something to serve as a size reference?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Just Jack
    Participant

Again, truly awesome, I’m in love. This will sound silly, but I’ve got over 100 aircraft from Oddzial Ozmy and Tumbling Dice…

But I just love your set up and the look of your aircraft.  In terms of what I’m interested in, well, what’ve ya got and what are you willing to part with? 😉

Right off the bat I’m interested in -4 Mirage IIIs and 4 F-4 Phantoms vs 4 MiG-21s

-4 F-16s vs 4 MiG-29s

-Maybe 4 F-86s vs 4 MiG-15s

From there it becomes an issue of what you have available:

If you’ve got WWII, I’m interested in Wildcats, Hellcats, P-38s, and Zeroes (4 each, maybe a couple Bettys?)

Also interested in Spitfires and Me-109s (4 each, maybe a couple Ju-88s?)

I’m interested in ‘strike level’ Vietnam gaming, like F-8s, A-4s, A-6s, RA-5s, F-4s, A-7s, E-2s, vs MiG-17s and -21s.

And I keep staring at those F-104s and B-57s. I don’t know what I would use them for, but they’re so *cute*!

Sorry man, I get a bit obsessive and megalomaniacal…

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Oh, Shiny!!

Thomaston
    Participant

@Just Jack

I don’t have much WWII stuff, what I have are obsolete types.

Here’s what you asked for. Also some planes I’ve never printed because they were too big. F-15 is actually the same size as F-4.

@Thaddeus some Oddzial Osmy armored cars and carriers. The size of the base on the 3mm infantries are 4.5mm. Size of the tin is exactly 5″x5″, just about fit in my hand.

Edit: I just realized I lost one of the little yellow guys, I’m sad, yellow was a pain to paint.

Life's too long.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Did you make those spess mahreens?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Thomaston
    Participant

Yeah, those are my take on void naval infantries. Can’t quite remember if I made this before or after Vanguard Miniatures put out their 3mm.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thomaston,

No problem with the WWII stuff, and those jets on the sprue you showed looks perfect, except…

After seeing the F-14s with the wings swept forward, and being compelled to hum ‘highway to the danger zone,’ or even ‘take my breath away,’ I’ve gotta have some of those!

Four Tomcats would be great, what do you have for them to go up against? Maybe MiG-25s, Su-22s, or MiG-23s?

This is really amazing, and I greatly appreciate you taking the time and energy to entertain my wargaming fantasies/excesses 😉

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

deleted

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Thomaston.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

I’m getting an error message for the link. I tried https and http, no dice.

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Worked for me but might be because I was the creator.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Thomaston.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

I’ll try this evening on my laptop, but still getting an error message on my phone.  Sorry man.

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

That’s fantastic, I just placed my order!  Thanks so much, and what a price!

Just under $20 (including shipping) for 4 each: Mirage III, F-4, MiG-21, F-16, MiG-29, F-14, Su-22, F-86, and MiG-15.

Truly awesome, I’m so glad you posted this, and thanks again.

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Let me know when you get them, I want to see what you do with them.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

You have nothing to worry about, I post everything!

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I can vouch for Jack, he does post everything but what I want him to post…hint hint US Marines on Guadalcanal.

Thomaston
    Participant

Tiny Air Combat with altitude

Our flight of 3, two Mirage V and a Mig-21 pulls in low from NE trying to avoid detection. Their target is a warehouse complex to the north of the island, although the island has no significant air defense weapons it has a small airport to the S that probably house a detachment of interceptors.

The number in brackets is how much ammo the guns has.

So much for avoiding detection, a flight of interceptors scramble to get NOMAD flight. NOMAD 1 and 2 turns towards their target.

NOMAD 3 had to buy time for the other two, ALONE. He took his time to climb and dragged his feet as much as possible. The F-104s despite being the fastest planes here couldn’t make much speed or climbed. NOMAD 1 and 2 also climbed to get a better view of their target and put some altitude between them and the upcoming island.

NOMAD 3 merged with the Bandit flight, taking a shot at Bandit 1 but he missed and used up his limited ammo. He’s a little higher but that wouldn’t matter much against 104s. NOMAD 1 is FEET DRY and lining up for his bomb run.

NOMAD 1 missed the buildings, doing only minor damage. NOMAD 2 got a direct hit, the secondary explosions that lit up the warehouse would’ve made Michael Bay proud.

I changed my mind and used 1 dice to represent bombs carried by the planes, NOMAD 1 rolled a 1, Nomad 2 rolled a 6.

NOMAD 3 couldn’t turn in a Mig-21 while Bandit 1 pulled hard and got his nose on the Mig, lining up for guns.

NOMAD 3 still couldn’t fly a Mig and Bandit 1 managed to get a burst off at him but missed.

If NOMAD 3 could do a hard turn next turn he could be in a position for a missile shot since he got no guns left, but it’ll also gives Bandit 2 a missile shot up his tail pipe.

NOMAD 1 and 2 turns to get in the fight.

All pilots had the same skill for this game but I really believe that Bandit 1 is the best pilot here, if he wasn’t out numbered he’d be MVP.

Bandit 1 was 2 altitude higher than NOMAD 1 he put on his afterburner, zoom dived and pulled hard onto the mirage, got off a burst that missed (I should have used 2 burst). NOMAD 1 didn’t have the speed but pulled up and turned into the 104 and let off a burst of his own that also missed. NOMAD 3 saw his chance, got a tone on the afterburning F-104 and fired a HSM, it hit and the F-104 exploded, no chance of an ejection either. Bandit 2 couldn’t turn tight enough to get onto NOMAD 3’s tail and now have NOMAD 1 pointing at him.

Bandit 1 went down just outside of a small town.

NOMAD flight ganging up on the last 104, everyone wants a kill. NOMAD 1 got first dip and missed his shot, his cannon dry. Bandit 2 also tried to shoot NOMAD 1, did a long burst (using 2 ammo instead of 1) and totally missed, maybe they were too close. NOMAD 3 tried to look dangerous, still a HSM left but empty guns.

NOMAD 1 out of ammo, dove with full afterburner and ran for home, disappearing before Bandit 2 could complete his turn. Bandit 2 finished his pull expecting a missile shot on NOMAD 1 but only saw the Mig and another Mirage dangerously on his six. NOMAD 3 was stumped, getting behind the 104 was a lost cause so he tried to play bait so NOMAD 2 could take a shot.

Bandit 2 took the bait and NOMAD 2 caught up tanking a high deflection shot and squeezed on the trigger until the gun was dry and saw the tracers dismantle the F-104 into bits (each bursts hit enough to kill the plane). The 104 went down but they say a chute floating over the sea.

In hind sight NOMAD 2 shouldn’t be in firing arc but it wasn’t a big deal, he could have easily turned for it. Mig-21 low gun ammo made the plane almost useless, NOMAD 3 only got that missile shot through luck. Bandit 1 had very good rolls for his maneuvers but very poor for his guns.

Altitude stands worked ok except not being strong enough to stay balanced at high altitude on the island. I’ll have to get some 2mm diameter rods some day to fix this.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Thomaston.

Life's too long.

Just Jack
    Participant

That is pure awesomeness! I can’t wait to get mine, received a message saying they’re on the way.

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

Dude, I received the planes last night, they’re awesome! My only problem is all the ‘real-life’ stuff I’ve got going on. Maybe I can clean them tonight, prime them Friday, and get to work on them.

On a separate note, could you email me, please?  big jack mac (at) hot mail (dot) com

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.