Home Forums Air and Sea Air Tiny Air Combat

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Thomaston
    Participant

Be careful with the tail, I only have 3 F-16s because one lost it’s tail.

email sent.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

Will do, and email replied!

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

I clipped them off and cleaned the up this evening, took about 30 minutes, no sweat!

Probably prime them on Friday morning; any pointers/issues?  I usually do everything with Krylon Khaki spray cans.

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

The only thing I recommend doing is mask over the canopy and leave it unpainted.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

That sounds awesome, but I’m neither talented nor patient enough to pull that off!  I plan on spray-priming them tomorrow morning.  I’ll see how that goes, and figure out where to go from there.

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I used blu tack to cover the canopy when I primed my prints.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ve used silly putty.

Just Jack
    Participant

I’ve got blu-tac, they’re just so small, and I’m quickly racking up so many of them.  Not that it can’t be done, I just don’t really have the patience, much quicker and easier to paint the canopies.

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I wonder if painting wax or Vaseline over the canopy before priming will work.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

New flight stands, transparent this time. Aquarium air/silicone tube with glass fiber core for stiffness and connection, topped by a magnet.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Dave Crowe
    Participant

This is all very beautifully done. Lots of super tiny fun! Love the idea of wargaming in super miniature on a travel tin. Wonderful!

Just Jack
    Participant

Looking good man, now post us some more battle reports, please!

I’ve got my first set primed, a few are a bit fuzzy from the humidity…

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I need more of the new flight stands to test.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

Tiny Mission 2

Naval strike at night, target must be at least crippled.

The target is an aircraft carrier protected by land based F-7. There’s a constant CAP over the carrier, if it’s shot down a new flight will arrive to replace them. Nomad flight doesn’t have the load to carry the bombs so they hired a bomber to both attack the target and help them navigate in the night. The bomber must survive or the flight probably wouldn’t make it back home. Every one is loaded for air to air.

Speeding ahead to intercept the F-7s. I forgot to take photo of the initial merge.

NOMAD 3 fired guns at Bandit 2 but missed and made a quick turn for a missile shot but NOMAD 1 downed the guy, dumping all his cannon ammo on him. Forgot to take a photo of the next turn where Bandit 1 fired cannons on the bomber and damaged it. NOMAD 2 was able to zoom in on F-7’s tail and dump his cannons on it but missed. He was able to keep on the bandit’s tail and launched a missile that took the plane down before it could line up for it’s own missile shot. Everyone is out of guns now.

The bomber got closer to it’s target and was greeted by another pair of fighters arrived.

Not looking good for the Canberra but NOMADs are hoping they’ll be able to get their missiles off as the defending fighters line up behind the bomber.

The Canberra dropped it’s bombload and managed to cripple the carrier, now they’ll have to get out of dodge. Bandit 4 took a shot and the missile hit, the additional damage made the Canberra uncontrollable and it went down. NOMAD 1 fired his own missile but the missile went wide. Their primary target down the defenders went evasive and managed to to spoil the shots NOMAD 2 and 3 was lining up for.

Lost in the dark NOMAD 3 didn’t see Bandit 3 looping back on him until tracers flew by harmlessly. NOMAD 2 had been tracking Bandit 4 and launched a missile when he saw the chance, it missed. The fight was pretty much over and NOMAD 1 cut his loss, conserving his fuel to get as close to home as possible. NOMAD 3 saw NOMAD 2 was in trouble and decided to turn back to help.

NOMAD 2 went full after burner and zoomed away leaving NOMAD 3 in a bad place, having turned around and back in the danger zone. Bandit 4 saw the glow of NOMAD 2’s burner and sent a missile after him, luckily it missed. At this point I decided to end the battle, NOMAD 2 managed to escape and NOMAD 3 wasn’t in any danger because Bandit 4 use up all it’s missiles and Bandit 3 was too far away. She could try dogfight the two fighters to get a kill (still has both of her air to air missiles) but it was pointless, the mission was already a partial success.

That night the carrier was crippled but the entire strike force failed to return.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Bummer deal for Nomad flight.  In your rules/campaign was the damage to the carrier worth the losses?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

This was supposed to be the start of a mercenary campaign, so their loss was the end of the campaign. I played the first mission as a one off game, only after they survive did I give them names. I’ve never done well with mercenary squadrons, they always die within 3 missions and true to form Nomads died in 2.

Originally the carrier was going to have SAMs, hence why the aircraft remained at low altitude. I took the SAMs away in the end and gave it multiple CAP flights instead, looks like this was deadlier than the SAMs.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

Love those carriers! The whole set is super cool!

Just Jack
    Participant

Thomaston,

Very cool, thanks for posting that, it’s keeping me inspired!  I really love the mix of aircraft, and it looks like you’ve moved away from hexed rules?  The action was quick and deadly, looked like lots of fun, though I think Mercs taking on an aircraft carrier close enough to have CAP from a friendly shore is quite the tall order! 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I didn’t have other ships to use as target and the carrier aircraft I have are Mig-29s. I tried to give the mercs as much advantage as possible but it didn’t help. I’ll start another merc squadron eventually, it takes times for the bitterness to go away.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Aw, come on! Just say the Nomad guys got picked up by air-sea rescue. You can continue the campaign!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

RogerBW
    Participant

Even if it’s the other side’s ASR. “Now, we could let you rot in jail for what you did to us. But it turns out, we have a little job that needs doing by untraceable assets…”

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m pretty strict to the universe and NOMAD didn’t hire any SAR.

Fear not I already have an idea for the next outfit of fliers for hire. I just need to build some stuff first.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

Hire the next flight from Area 88. 😉

Seriously this is super cool. Have you considered a peg board where the flight pegs fit into slots in the game surface?

Also, any chance of making it more generally available? The carriers and the planes are super cool, and TAC would be a great game-object in itself.

Thomaston
    Participant

I can’t believe I didn’t think of a pegboard, thanks for the idea. I think there are boardgames that has holes in triangular pattern.

The carriers were for a campaign where they only carry limited number of aircraft and ordnance, sail around completing missions. Too much bookkeeping.

I did put up a few sets for Just Jack, but took them down but can put them back up if you tell me what aircraft you want. Alternatively wait for Just Jack to paint up what he got and get a look see first.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

Oh but I love the Chibi Carriers! I’d love to see Chibi AEGIS destroyers as well! Low-level bombing of a carrier battle group would be a great scenario, and the little peg holes on top (on a destroyer, it could be the turret or the afterdeck) are begging for “explosion” markers to denote hits! I’m already imagining graphics for TAC scenario and campaign cards, and this from a guy who typically doesn’t even like air combat games! You’re sitting on a real winner here man! In fact a Chibi Crimson Skies with a zeppelin would be an awesome version as well.

It also occurs to me that you could make different length pegs color coded to denote altitude, so they don’t get wobbly with stacking.

Thomaston
    Participant

Chibi Aegis, turns out I do have tiny chibi ships.

I did make a set of biplanes exactly for something similar to Crimson Skies but lost interest before it got to printing stage. 1930s aircraft, fast attack boats with peg holes (so weapons can be switched) so many failed projects.

@Just Jack

I didn’t really like hexes, it makes the game easier and quicker to play but making hex board in all the environments I want is a pain, also can’t really do terrain easily using hex boards.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

Clear perforated Perspex over printed terrain.

Just Jack
    Participant

Wow, so much to take in!  Thomaston, the stuff you’ve come up with is incredibly impressive from a creative standpoint, just super cool.  I understand about the hexes, and I face a little of the same thing as I want to create a blue one, not just keep using my Flight Leader hexboard.  My flight stands are set to arrive Saturday, hope to get some test stuff done that evening or Sunday, will post here ASAP.  There’s one thing I can promise: it won’t look as cool as Thomaston’s stuff, but nonetheless, I can’t wait to play some games!

V/R,
    Jack

I love this stuff! Dude, you could make some money with this.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m serious! This is a great little set and a great idea all around! Frankly it’s even got legs as a “print and play” set with the advent of home 3D printers and all. I can think of at least three titles:

TAC – Tiny Air Combat

TAC Carrier Battle Group (Ships and Air-to-Sea operations expansion)

TAC Mercenary Squadron (Ground Attack and Campaigns)

And spin-off games, Tiny Fleet Combat and Tiny Ground Combat, might be workable. The kind of cartoony, slightly compressed design aesthetic is underexplored in Wargames and would play extremely well on all levels!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Come to think of it, it could be done as “traditional” print and play with paper maps and counters, and STL “upgrades” for the deluxe edition. (I mean, lest I overstep my bounds and seem like I’m committing you to things.)

Thomaston
    Participant

I don’t know how to start this as a business. Best move might be to make TAC for specific rules like Wings at War or AirWar C21. One problem I’ve found is different people want these in different scales, it’s really difficult to scale these when the dimensions are not proportional.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

Frankly I have been writing my own one-broadsheet rules for a TAC game in the back of my mind all day, so making a given system work would be a cinch for me! 😉

Still it’s so easy to get overexcited about things. I’m just super impressed with your work on this and it strikes me as worth developing into something formal and real.

Thomaston
    Participant

Selling the 3D models is doable, but offering it as an official packaged product I’m lost.

Anyway assets for the next campaign is about 50% done. If I keep at it, it should be done sometime next week.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

Private Military Flight Training Center (South)

Class 792 is on it’s final evaluation phase. The top three scoring pilots will be contracted by the school for a limited time before they go on to the mercenary market.

Pilots
    Alberto
    Bosede
    Chuck
    Demyan
    Eliza

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

Very cool, may the best three win! ;). Can’t wait to see the next fight. It’s been very slow because of real life getting in the way, but I’m making progress, getting closer to my first game! I’ve had to do some hacking on them, but the flight stands are going to work, ordering more as we speak.

Sorry, not a great photo, but evidence things are actually happening here on my end.

And since my proof of concept has worked out, I need to bother you again for some more aircraft, Sir, email on the way!

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

Somehow I double-posted.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Just Jack.
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thomasaton, making it a business is the easy part.  Getting customers is that hard part!

If you’d like to get started I think there are 2 ways you can go about it:

1.  Make a deal with an existing company to be your seller/distributor.  They do the selling, you get a cut.
    2. Do it all on your own.  It’s a lot of work, but feels pretty good when you get it going

To do #2, might I suggest:

Have your rules written up. You can make them available in PDF and P.O.D. and even preprinted and sent out by you for those with on-demand service aversions.

Have 3 sizes of each aircraft (tiny, small, and chibi) with the larger one having a bit more detail.  Have them cast in metal

Have flight stands designed and available for sale.

Order some small boxes, and have sticky labels made.  You can then sell boxed sets with both sides for whatever campaign or even scenario, and it can include the aircraft, stands, and even a print up of the rules or just the scenario.  This also allows you to more easily distribute your wares to a company that may be going to a show if you don’t want to yourself.

Setup a e-business website, super easy and relatively cheap.

Profit.  (of course there’s also marketing and putting the word out that you exist…)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

@Just Jack
    The WWII stuff look pretty nice painted, tempting to print myself some as well. I really do have a chibi complex.
    I’ll bet it was difficult painting the roundels on those planes.

@DSG
    I’ll have to have a serious think about it. I’d want to keep this directionless lifestyle for a while, after all life’s too long.
    I’ve played around with the idea of doing something in the miniature industry for a many years, mostly sculpting, had always steered clear of it being a real business.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Thomaston.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

RogerBW
    Participant

Although it’s a chunk of cost and effort, I’d recommend looking into selling at wargames conventions too – this is the kind of thing that I suspect benefits from people being able to take a look at it close up.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.