Home Forums Air and Sea Air Tiny Air Combat

This topic contains 120 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 6 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Author

Just Jack
    Participant

Thomaston,

Well, here’s my first blogpost featuring your stuff, the first of many.  I only have a fraction of my purchases ready for battle, but I now have some ready for battle, so I’m getting spun up to start the revolution!  I have a lot more stuff to paint, I’m waiting on more bases from Litko (just ordered Sunday night), and I need (sheepish grin) need to order some more stuff from you, if you’re able and willing.

So here is what I’ve got ready so far; not a lot, but enough to play some WWII games, and a few testers for modern aircraft.  Here’s what you’re looking at: six US Navy/Marine Corps F4F Wildcats, four A6M Zeroes, six G4M Bettys, one F-4 Phantom, one B-57 Canberra, one MiG-21 Fishbed, and one Su-22 Fitter.

A closeup of three Bettys.  Plain green, some yellow leading edges, red on white national insignia on each wing and the fuselage (easy, just a dab of white from a toothpick, then a dab of red from a toothpick), and bright blue glass on the cockpits and dorsal turrets.

And here’s a photo to give you a sense of size: along the bottom are Thomaston’s models, the F-4 Phantom and the G4M Betty.  At top left is a 1/600 Oddzial Ozmy F-4 Phantom, at top right a 1/600 G4M Betty, also from OO.  To see more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/10/another-new-wwii-and-modern-aerial.html

More on the way, and these WWII Pacific aircraft will soon be in the thick of it over on my WWII in the Pacific blog (https://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/).

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

They look great Jack, I’m hoping you will use the Bettys Zeros and Wildcats first!!

Thomaston
    Participant

@Just Jack
    email me the list of the stuff you want.
    I like how your paintwork comes out, is it acrylic or oil based?
    I’m going to adopt your basing method, much simpler and look practical.

Also looking forward to the battle reports.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

John – That’s the plan dude, it wouldn’t be much of a game playing my one F-4 and one B-57 against one MiG-21 and one Su-22 😉

Thomaston – Thanks, and the paints are acrylic, but I like yours better, you’ve got a much cleaner look that I just can’t seem to pull off!  I think your basing is cooler than mine, too, I’m to lazy and impatient to copy your method. I’m hoping to play some games this weekend, so stand by!

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Air to ground Phase

Using bombs to destroy some vehicle targets. 1 point for successful bomb use and a pass if vehicle hit by other means.

Pilots
    Alberto Pass
    Bosede Pass
    Chuck Fail
    Demyan 1
    Eliza 1

Air to Air Phase

2 vs 1 against the instructor, each student fly 2 flights each. The first to hit the instructor gets a score.

Flight 1

Alberto (gray F-5) and Bosede (silver F-5)

The students split early on, too early and the instructor was able to fly between them. Bosede was in a better position but was too far away to use his cannons.

Bosede and the instructor both pulled hard and faced each other but Bosede was too slow and the instructor missed his shot. Alberto missed out after the merge was in a great position when the instructor came out of his turn with Bosede but the Mirage pilot reversed his turn and ruin Alberto’s missile shot. Alberto switched to guns but missed the speeding Mirage. The instructor managed to pull another tight turn and got his nose on Bosede who was hoping to line up a missile shot but caught the instructor recovering from his high G turn and scored a high deflection hit on the Mirage. The fight was over and 1 point to Bosede.

Flight 2

Chuck (silver F-5) and Demyan (grey F-5)

Demyan broke right very early, just like the last flight. Chuck on the other hand wanted to try go head on and get a quick kill. The instructor figured what Chuck was trying to do and use the Mirage’s higher speed to rush in and took a shot be fore Chuck could react. What followed was a very quick and deadly. Demyan tracked the Mirage as it came out of the merge and got into the perfect position to go guns on the full silhouette of the Mirage.

Demyan missed. The instructor’s Mirage arced back to track Chuck who was trying to reengage but saw the blur of an F-5 turning inside him. Demyan used his F-5’s maneuverability to the fullest and high yo-yo in another perfect shot but again he missed. The instructor was in trouble and only just realized how good Demyan was. He did everything he could to not give the kid another shot at him only to fly right into Chuck who pulled his own hard turn and got a high deflection hit on the Mirage from just inside run range. Flight 2 was over, 1 point to the kill stealer Chuck.

Pilots      Score
    Alberto    0
    Bosede     1
    Chuck       1
    Demyan   1
    Eliza         1

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Good fights!  Alberto’s going to wash out at this rate!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Just Jack
    Participant

You are crazy, playing out the pilots’ evaluation on air to ground and air to air!  Pretty wild, your own Top Gun and Red Flag all rolled into one.

I’m assuming the pilots have, or will have, different ratings/attributes? So do you start them all as plain average, then let the dice work to move their skills up or down?

And I really love the fact you can show roll/bank/pitch on them, VERY impressive on such small aircraft.

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ve decided to change the scoring for air to ground phase. It was kind of confusing with no difference between a pass and a fail.
    0 for no hits
    1 for hits other than bombs
    2 for bomb hits

Score after Air Combat flight 2
    Pilots
    Alberto 1
    Bosede 2
    Chuck 1
    Demyan 2
    Eliza 2

@DSG Alberto isn’t quite a wash out yet but also not in a good spot on the leader board. Ihe pressure is on him to perform next flight. Alberto is lobbying hard to fly in the silver F-5, it seems to be where kills are made.

@JJ I’m planning to assign the top 3 pilots a skill depending on what aspect they scored highest on. Looks like Demyan and Eliza (if they make it) will get air to ground weapons skill but I’m tempted to give Demyan a maneuver skill after his performance. This is my private Tiny Topgun, I was even calling the base Fighter Town.

I was hoping the banking will help with deciphering maneuvers, the previous missions had been a little confusing even for me. These were very quick to play, about 10 minutes each and was a lot of fun (not having to worry about pilots dying helps). I was going to play the rest of Air to Air Phase today but I should save some for tomorrow.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

Too cool, man, Tiny Top Gun!  10 minutes, eh?  That sounds fantastic, and I know what you mean about maneuvers for battle reports becoming hard to recall/determine.  The whole ‘follow them through training’ is a very novel concept (to me, at least), but so far everything I’ve seen from you has been extraordinarily creative and innovative, so I’m always looking forward to more.

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Flight 3

Eliza (grey F-5) Alberto (silver F-5)

Alberto got his wish, and took off in the silver F-5 using every advantage he could get. Eliza not under any pressure but wouldn’t mind breaking the curse of the grey painted plane. Alberto broke left but stuck close hoping to let the instructor take a shot at Eliza and swoop in on his tail. The instructor presented with two targets only slightly separated decided to go for the closer one, Eliza. Be pushed his throttle forward and lit the after burner but also keeping an eye on the silver F-5, seeing it slowly arcing to get behind him.

At the last moment Eliza point the nose of her F-5 towards the incoming Mirage, squeezed her trigger and scored a solid hit. It was all over before anyone knew what happened, 1 point to Eliza.

This turned out to be a very good setup, no matter which way the mirage choose to turn after the merge he’d have an F-5 on his tail. This flight made me feel like I’m relearning air combat.

Alberto is in trouble he’s flown all of his flights this phase and he’s at the bottom of the leader board. Eliza taking a comfortable lead.

Flight 4

Bosede (silver F-5) and Chuck (grey F-5)

Having seen Flight 3’s result these guys are going to try to replicate it. Chuck is under pressure and need a point to stay in the game. Chuck broke off early but lit his afterburner and sped ahead. The instructor is in a tough potion no matter who he goes for the other F-5 will get on his tail so he decide to play it cool and let the rookies make the first mistake. But he screwed up and fling straight put him right in front of Bosede, the young pilot let out a burst fist and scored a hit.

Not too happy about the cheap shot the instructor decided to have a little fun with the young pilots and they all pulled hard Gs to get their nose back on target. The instructor expertly maneuvered his Mirage behind Bosede and scored a direct hit on the F-5. Chuck thought the fight was still on, slipped onto the Mirage’s tail and squeezed a missile launch, scoring a hit. It didn’t count though, 1 point to Bosede.

I continued this one to see if the other plane could get on the mirage’s tail. Looks like I’m learning.

Flight 5

Demyan (silver F-5) Eliza (Grey F-5)

With both Bosede and Eliza at 3 points, Demyan need this point as a safety net.

Eliza broke left early and hung back, seeing if she can pick the instructor off after the merge. The Mirage pilot chose to close the game quickly applying afterburner and once again got taken down in a head on, 1 point to Demyan.

Eliza tangled with the Mirage a little. She might as well, they were already up there and got a good look at the Mirage’s the tail pipe.

There were not so fun, ended too quickly.

Score after Air to Air Phase

Pilots
    Alberto 1         1 AtG
    Bosede 3         1 AtG 2 AtA
    Chuck 1           1 AtA
    Demyan 3      2 AtG 1 AtA
    Eliza 3            2 AtG 1 AtA

Looks like we already have the top 3 pilots. Things might change with the final phase, Interception.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Thomaston.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’m digging it too, T!  Inspiring me to break out my old merc airwing campaign, done up for CY6!JA a half dozen years back.  Was very Area 88 where you had to hire pilots and purchase not just aircraft but also weapons.  Since the campaign map was hex based (you actually played a corporation that is hired to prosecute a limited war, so also had to maneuver ground elements and could set up based, POL, etc.  Kind of like that movie The Sky Crawlers.  And you had to plan your missions and routes so w could figure out when and where intercepts happened) we played it on a hexagonal map to better be able to display where forces entered from.  Altitude was artificially limited by Internationally imposed ROE, so only low level stuff (I think on 10 TAL) as above was still civilian air space.  Anyways, only got 4 turns in before it fizzled due to lack of time for the players.  Might just have to give it a go solo, though using simpler rules that can handle solo play.

Thomaston
    Participant

Sky Crawlers, now that’s something I’ve been trying to play for a long time but considering it only had 4 types of fighters I figured it would get boring pretty quick as a mercenary campaign.

I like Area 88, been wanting to add Mig-17 to these.

Tired is enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

Interception Live Fire
    Night time interception, one target drone per pilot, 1 point for missile hit, 2 points for gun hits.
    Destroy the drones before they leave the live fire zone.

Intercept 1
    Alberto (gray F-5) Chuck (silver F-5)
    Under serious pressure both has a chance to stay in the running if one of the top three fail to intercept. They closed in on the drones, Chuck lit up his after burner and raced ahead, closing in on the lead drone fast he let off a long stream of tracers and walked it onto the drone, it disappeared in an explosion. 2 points to Chuck.

Instead of pulling off he pushed ahead towards the second drone. Alberto tried to accelerate but Chuck was already in gun range and another stream of tracers spew out of the silver F-5 clipping the drone and it spiral towards the ground. 2 more points to Chuck and he shoots to the top of the leader board.

Mercenaries don’t play by the rules.

Intercept 2
    Bosede (silver F-5), Demyan (grey F-5), Eliza (cammo F-5)

Bosede in the lead broke from the formation first, turning into the closest drone and let off a long burst but hit nothing. Demyan following Bosede’s lead had more time to line up his shot but was overtaken by Eliza, zapping pass him to shoot the drone down with a short burst at point blank range. 2 points to Eliza.

Paranoid after seeing the previous flight no one was taking chances and the all aimed at the next drone. Eliza overshot the drone and pulled right for the final one. Bosede wasn’t going to wait for someone to kill his target again and used all his remaining cannon ammo to send the drone down in a burning wreck. 2 points to Bosede.

Demyan had to get this drone now, seeing Eliza already lining up behind the last drone and Bosede doing the same. He knows he’s too slow to get in for a gun kill so he launched a missile but it went wide and before he could switch to another he sees a missile streak through the night sky and followed by an explosion, the drone was gone.

1 point to Bosede.

Graduates of class 792
    Bosede 6 AtG 1 AtA 2 Int 3
    Cannon 5 Missile 1

Chuck 5 AtA 1 Int 4
    Cannon 5

Eliza 5 AtG 2 AtA 1 Int 2
    Cannon 3 Bomb 2

Demyan 3 AtG 2 AtA 1
    Cannon 1 Bomb 2

Alberto 1 AtG 1
    Cannon 1

Newly registered, Private Military Flight 792(S)

Pilot
    Call-sign
    Skill

Bosede Mwamba
    ??
    Gunnery

Chuck Finley
    “Thief”
    Initiative

Eliza Gowster
    “Mud”
    AtG weapons

Can’t think of a fitting call-sign for Bosede, “Boss” or “D Boss” sounds a little too obvious.

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

Awesome, drones for night intercepts, you certainly have a unique way about ya 😉

For call signs, anymore I just use this:

Call Sign Generator

For Bosede Mwamba I got “Cold Cash.”  Sounds like a merc to me!

I played two fights with these this weekend; the pics suck because my lighting and camera sucks, but I’m working on the batreps and had a good time, though I’m still figuring out the rules and need a better playing surface.

And, one more time, I need to email you about an order. Last time, I swear 😉

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I bookmarked the link, nice tool.

I’ll adopt “Cold Cash” for Bosede and looking forward to your WWII battle report.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Sky Crawlers, now that’s something I’ve been trying to play for a long time but considering it only had 4 types of fighters I figured it would get boring pretty quick as a mercenary campaign.

There was a video game, for Wii I think, it had at least 8 different aircraft, some from the movie and some that were inferred (as early types or attack craft) or perhaps came from the Manga?  It wasn’t a bad game, and you could do some of those crazy physics breaking maneuvers like in the movie.  Wonder how you could work that into a TTWG?

Thomaston
    Participant

I don’t like the aircraft in the Wii game, some of them look too similar, as if the game devs ran out of ideas. The maneuvers could be a skill check that puts the plane on the target’s tail with very negative consequence for failure.

I’ve tried to find the original novel the anime was based on but had no luck (see below). Since this is Japanese novel I’m fulling expecting it to be more philosophical and less air combat.

Look what I found.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1?ie=UTF8&text=MORI+Hiroshi&search-alias=digital-text&field-author=MORI+Hiroshi&sort=relevancerank

Tired is enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

Mission 1 (first of 3 contract jobs)
    Fly top cover for transport ship navigating through a dangerous straight.
    Cover until relieved by another flight.

Cold Cash Dark Grey
    Thief Silver
    Mud Light Grey

The benefit of being top of the class was an upgraded F-5 and Cold Cash signed for a lightened F-5 with upgraded engines, he lost half his gun ammo though. Cold Cash and Thief are loaded up for AtA while Mud got a pair of rocket pods just in case.

Getting on station Flight 792 scanned the sky around them and declared it clear. They had totally missed a pair of Migs heading for them using the island as cover. The flight didn’t spot the Migs until they were almost on their tail and the whole flight turned into the Migs. Cold Cash used his plane’s better engines to get out of the Mig’s gunsight leaving Thief and Mud in the danger zone.

Mud was in trouble, the F-5 usually a match for the Migs in maneuverability but the Migs has better engines and her plane was loaded for AtG making her disadvantaged in every way. Mig 1 jumped in and shot at her but missed. Cold Cash is the only one who could flight the Migs on an even ground with his upgraded F-5 but he wasn’t used to the speedier machine and had trouble getting his nose around. Luckily for Mud, Mig 2 misjudge her speed and overshot her, not able to get a shot out. Mud pulled hard, pointing her nose into Mig 1, she was squeezing the trigger even before she was on target and walked the tracers onto the Mig. The Mig coming in too fast, flew into her stream of bullets and exploded.

As one the whole Flight 792 reverse their turn but the remaining Mig got his nose around first and chose the trailing plane as his target. Mud was on the defensive again. Cold Cash and Thief put their lives into getting back in the fight, not because they feel any urge to save Mud but there’s a bonus for air kills and this was the last Mig. The Mig put his nose on Mud with some difficulty and fired his cannons from very long range, apart from spooking Mud it did nothing.

Cold Cash finally got back into the flight leveling off his turn his plane’s nose pointed at the Mig still tracking Mud. He wanted this kill and held on to his trigger until his guns were dry. Thief by far the furthest out of the furball watched as the Mig flew through the long stream of tracers harmlessly and knew he still had a chance. The fight was now 3 on 1 and the Mig has a tail, he did the smart thing and ran, using land as cover he went low and fast knowing he can out run the F-5s.

The hounds gathered on the runner but Cold Cash couldn’t get a look at his tailpipe and the others were too slow. The flight was running low on fuel and pulled back to their station waiting for the relief flight.

At base they reviewed the gun cameras and Mud is credited with a kill, she was very happy with the bonus money.

Cold Cash – no kills
    Thief – no kills
    Mud – 1 air kill (Mig-21) $1

Tired is enough.

Just Jack
    Participant

Too cool man, thanks for posting.

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

I’m so aggravated right now…

Spare time has been at a premium, but I’ve finally received all my aircraft and all my flight stands, everything is cleaned and primed.

I scratch out an hour to mount planes on the flight stands, and I get going too fast, snap a wing off of one of my six Mysteres, of which I need six and was too dumb to order a spare…

I was actually considering attempting to re-attach it, but I have so far failed to locate it…

I should have been working on the dogfighting batreps…

Thomaston
    Participant

Hmmm, are the planes too small? Shapeways does have other materials that is more durable but not as detailed. It didn’t occur to me before but I should have up-scaled the planes to twice the size for you.

Tired is enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

Mission 2: Day of the Thief
    Escort a photo recon flight over some bridges. No other aircraft should be in the area, ROE is weapons free for anything in the air.

Cold Cash Dark Grey
    Thief Silver
    Mud Light Grey

Mud split to fly close escort for the Canberra while the rest look for a fight. A Mig pops into view at their 10 o’clock and they turn to engage. Cold Cash saw him first but couldn’t pull as hard as he wanted because Thief was in the way. The Mig could see these F-5s were going to engage him and committed to the fight getting the jump on Thief and missed his shot. Thief reacting on adrenaline send even more bullets back the Mig’s way and cut off the plane’s wing.

Mud spotted a blur behind her and so did Thief while checking his six. They all turn like crazy but the F-104 saw the Canberra and decided it looked like it was the most valuable target, easily getting into position for a missile launch. The 104 pilot took the shot, luckily the missile went wide. The Canberra lived to over fly the first bridges and eagerly turn for the next.

The 104 switched to Mud knowing he couldn’t get the Canberra before the F-5s gets on his tail. Cold Cash had been on afterburner building up speed before pulling serious Gs and did a 180. The two planes, Mud and the 104 lazily turn into each other seemingly oblivious to the developing dogfight.

The 104 was in good position a little out of gun range but he has the speed to close the distance before the F-5 completed it’s turn. Thief saw a shot, lined his F-5’s nose to the 104, barely got a tone and let off a missile at very long range. The missile snaked it’s way to the plane in the distance and somehow managed to hit it’s target, the F-104 falling in a ball of fire. Cold Cash had punched his afterburner again but was too late, Cold Cash had his second kill. Mud apparently was still sight seeing.

Thief coolly continued his left turn, heading towards the unprotected Canberra, now turning for home, having completed his mission. Cold Cash spotted another contact coming into the mission area, another F-104, again he was in prime position for a shot at the Canberra. Cold Cash pulled hard and wad heading towards the new bandit, followed by Thief to his 8 o’clock. The F-104 made his intention clear and again went for the Canberra, he was in range for missiles and was only waiting for the Canberra to show him it’s jet exhaust.

The Cold Cash and Thief homed in on the F-104 and even Mud looked like she was getting into the fight. The Canberra turned and the F-104 fired its missile, it flew straight into the Canberra, exploded and left the recon aircraft trailing black smoke.

The 104 knew he didn’t stand a chance against the 2 F-5s zooming towards him and decided to finish off the Canberra before exiting the area. He launched another missile but this time it just missed, diving to the ground at the last moment. Thief always an opportunist, applied power and went in guns blazing, using up the rest of his canon ammo and managed to hit every air molecules but not the F-104. Cold Cash somehow forgot to turn his plane and overshot, missing his chance for a kill. The F-104 calmly lined up for a final attack on the Canberra while Mud came in fast on an lead intercept.

While everyone else did their best to come around on the F-104, Mud easily turned in for a low deflection shot, letting off a short burst to test her aim and saw the tracers flew pass the plane’s wing. The F-104 got the hint and turned to escape, lighting his afterburner. Thief caught up but he forgot his guns were dry and could only watch as Mud launched a missile after the fleeing 104. The missile zigzagged towards it’s target and then went wide, the F-104 zooming into the distance.

Cold Cash – no kills
    Thief – 2 air kills (F-7, F-104) $2
    Mud – 1 air kill (Mig-21) $1

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

haha good for Thief, living up to the name.  “When in doubt, hold down the trigger!”

Just Jack
    Participant

No man, the planes are fantastic, I’m just a bit ham-handed sometimes, particularly when I’m rushing.

And dude, I strenuously object! Cold Cash is my guy, and he was robbed! Hard to believe Thief was in position for a third kill, the only thing stopping him being a lack of cannon rounds.

Reading about this mercenary concept, it seems really cool, though another project is exactly the last thing I need! Having said that, I’d love to hear about the rules you’re using.

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

@DSG
    I really thought Thief was going to get that third kill, but he missed pretty badly that time. He would have been half way to an ace in one mission. Then Mud missed TWICE.

@Jack
    I haven’t gone into the mercenary thing yet but all it does is give me freedom in aircraft and weapons, I like options.

I’m rationalizing that Cold Cash isn’t familiar with the new F-5P he’s been assigned. Funny because he has Gunnery skill but so far haven’t had a chance to use it.

Sent you an e-mail with the rules.

Tired is enough.

Thomaston
    Participant

Getting carried away.

I figured I’d dabble into WWII aircraft for a change of pace. Using models I’ve already done for Just Jack I was planning for 4 planes per side, A6M, B5N, D3A and G3M vs F4F, SBD and TBF.

But that’s 4 vs 3 so I add F6F and F4U and now I have 2 late war fighters but only 1 early war fighter, F2A added and I need something late war to go with the fighters, SB2C. Then for some reason I also added the F8F. Having done that I added USAAF P-40, P-38 and B-25.

I noticed the TBF would have very long service life so I put in the TBD. I figured I should add British aircraft, Hurricane, Skua and Albacore. I’ve been ignoring the Japanese so far and they need an early war fighter, A5m added. But the Brits need a late war fighter, Sea Fury it is, what the hell I might as well add the Spitfire too.

A5M, A6M, D3A, B5N, G3M

Hurricane, Spitfire, Skua, Albacore, Sea Fury

P-40, P-38, B-25

F2A, F4F, SBD, TBD

F6F, F4U, F8F, SB2C, TBF

Guess what, now I feed like I need to add P-36, P-39, P-47, P-51 and F7F. Not only that I’ve been forgetting the Germans so Bf109, Fw190, Ju87, He111, Fw190D/Ta152. I also forgot IJA aircraft, Ki43, Ki44, Ki45, Ki21, Ki84.

All this for a small game.

Tired is enough.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I really like the tiny little military installations.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by OldBen1 OldBen1.
    John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

But the Brits need a late war fighter, Sea Fury it is

Mr. Picky (who has been watching all this with interest) points out that the first Sea Fury wasn’t delivered to an operational squadron until 1947.

Why no love for the Firefly?

If — to pick an example entirely at random (cough, splutter) — one were interested in re-fighting Operation Meridian, the British Pacific Fleet’s attacks on the oil refineries at Palembang (and incidentally including the largest strike ever flown by the Fleet Air Arm) then one would need the following aircraft:

FAA:
    Corsair
    Hellcat
    Seafire III
    Firefly
    Avenger
    Walrus

IJA:
    Oscar (Hayabusa)
    Tojo (Shoki)
    Nick (Toryu)
    Dinah
    Lily

It is weirdly difficult to find all of these to a common scale, and the Firefly is probably the least-popular choice of any of the subjects, although I find it very odd that 1/144th Oscars are so few and far between.

All the best,

John.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ya, I was going to suggest the Ki-45, but John beat me to it.

If you’re doing the F7F and F8F as well as the Sea Fury, you might as well do the Do335, TA-154, and the Kyushu J7W, all of which have very distinct shapes (and would be very cool to see in action!)

Thomaston
    Participant

@JDS
    In my head Sea Fury came before Firefly, for some reason.
    Dinah is nice looking plane.

@DSG
    I was thinking about this last night and if I was to add the J7W I might as well do The Sky Crawlers and add some of my own designs. It would cut down a lot of types because I’m getting ridiculously carried away.

I also remembered the Russians and Italians, I-153, I-16, IL-2, La-5, Re2000, G50, SM79, MC200, MC205.
    Also J2M for IJN.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It would cut down a lot of types because I’m getting ridiculously carried away.

Just remember that the point of all of this is for YOU to be able to play the games YOU want to play.  We can throw ideas at you all day with no consequence to ourselves, but only you can do the work for your own games.  So, if you need to shorten up your vision, then do so.  Keep your sanity!

Personally I am enjoying your Merc games and write ups, I like following their careers.  I would love some Sky Crawler-esque action as well for the same reasons!

Thomaston
    Participant

I got lazy with the editing of all the photos, there were a lot almost twice as many as usual for very little action.

Mission 3
    Combat Ar Patrol, remain on station until relieved by friendly flight.
    Low hostile activity and ROE is fired only if fired upon.

Cold Cash Dark Gray 2 missiles
    Thief Silver (2 kills) 2 missiles
    Mud Light Grey 1 missile, 1 flare pod

Cold Cash chose to fly wide separation to cover more airspace. First customer was a drone, no joy there, he’s never going to shoot at anyone.

Eyes on aircraft, 3 of them. The new arrivals turned towards the flight. Two of the Mirages aimed for Thief and Mud, Cold Cash saw his opportunity and got the jump on the trailing Mirage, then he remembered the ROE. The Mirage saw him and could have shot him in the face but he didn’t. A really messy furball developed. Thief was in trouble a Mirage managed to get on his tail but he managed to get out of it but almost collided with another Mirage. The Mirage pilot was spooked enough by the near collision and Cold Cash zooming onto him to decide to retire. Only 2 left to chase away.

The relief flight arrived and the odds were very good. The relief flight got right into the fight, allowing the mercs to extend for a moment of breather. The relief was here Mud decided her job was done and stayed on the outside of the furball while Cold Cash and Thief reengaged hoping someone will start shooting. Although Cold Cash got a shot at one of the Mirage one of the relieving F-5 chased him away. The remaining Mirage seeing the 4:1 odds with Cold Cash and Thief approaching from opposite sides retired as well. An F-5 on his tail sealed the deal and the end of an uneventful day.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Uneventful?  Dude, they brawled without getting hurt!  Very interesting.  How/why did you decide that the enemy weren’t going to fire?

Thomaston
    Participant

I wanted to turn on the heat before they start flying real missions, so far they’ve been flying someone else’s aircraft and enjoy free weapons and CSAR. From now on they’ll have to buy everything but to give them a little chance not every mission will end in a fight to the death.

Everytime the OPFOR gets in a firing position I roll to see if they shoot or not.

Now that flight 792 fully graduated and got some experience under their belt they’d dumped into the world. The three pilots decided to stick together and hire out as a package. One of the perks of graduating at the top of the class the school gave them a good reference for their first real job. Flight 792 managed to line up a high profile (read high risk) job all the way on the island of Apua in the Pearl Sea.

Map by company called Columbia Game

First they need aircraft.

On the market they found an F-104, two Mig-21/F-7 and two Mirage V.

I’ll let you guys vote on what planes to buy for which pilot, deadline is next Friday.

Aircraft stats
    MiG-21
    Speed 2
    Maneuver 4
    Gun ammo 1

Mirage
    Speed 3
    Maneuver 3
    Gun ammo 2

F-104
    Speed 4
    Maneuver 2
    Gun ammo 6

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Thomaston. Reason: added aircraft stats

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Aaah!  Need more info: are the Mig-21 canon AND missile armed, or just missiles?

Edit: just saw the stats…

Right off I think they should get the Mirages, as they are the only (useful) attack aircraft there on the market, if you’re running with a bit o’ reality thrown in.

Speed is good, but maneuver is good too…  Tough to decide between the Mig and the F-104.

Thomaston
    Participant

Planes are pretty abstract, all aircraft have 2 hardpoints (I chose only planes with 2 hardpoints) that can carry anything. The only difference are the 3 stats shown. There’s also a maintenance factor with parts commonality I plan on implementing but we don’t know where their contract will take them yet.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ok, I vote for 2 Mirages (Cash and Mud) and the F-104 (Thief).

Thomaston
    Participant

Two Mirage and an F-104 it is.

Thief used the extra money to buy himself a missile and a flare pod for decoy.

Mod bought a flare pod.

Cold Cash looks on jealously.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Cash needs to put in some work, score himself some goods!

Thomaston
    Participant

Arriving at Apua, the flight was briefed on their contract, this will be their last chance to opt out. These guys aren’t going to turn down their first job.

A decade ago the island of Apua invaded the island of Raven and captured it from the Republic of Saros. Apua intelligence service reports increased military readiness within Saros and suspect a major offensive to retake Raven. 792 will take the role of the Apuan Air Force 5th Fighter Squadron to confuse Saros military intelligence. Their role will be to support military operations until Saros surrenders or parity in air power had been achieved.

Maintenance will have to be paid for except for the F-104 which the Apuan has spares and technicians for. Cannon ammunition and fuel are free of charge but missiles and bombs will be sold to the flight at a discount rate as needed. Mission details will be available as needed, everything else is classified. Bonus will be awarded after each mission for air kills.

Apuan Air Force
    1st Fight Squadron “Apuan Eagles” (F-5), Mitka Air Force Base
    2nd Fight Squadron “?????” (F-104), Mitka Air Force Base
    3rd Bomber Squadron “?????” (Canberra), Kenaii Air Force Base
    5th Fight Squadron “War Dogs”, Mitka Air Force Base

Republic of Saros Army Air Service
    19th Bomber Squadron (Canberra), Bursa Army Air Station
    37th Fighter Squadron (Mig-21), Yakut Army Air Station
    52nd Fighter Bomber Squadron (F-5), Kaman Army Air Station
    701st Fighter Interceptor Squadron (F-104), Yakut Army Air Station
    731st Fighter Squadron (Mig-21), Eagle Cove Army Air Station

Tired is enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.